TPB: If Winter Remain / Clark Ashton Smith
Add Reply
George Dance
2015-02-28 16:01:34 UTC
Today on The Penny Blog:
If Winter Remain, by Clark Ashton Smith

Hateful, and most abhorred,
about us the season
of sleet, of snow and of frost
reaches, and seems unending
as plains whereon
lashed prisoners go
[...]

http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2015/02/if-winter-remain-clark-ashton-smith.html
Will Dockery
2015-02-28 20:53:45 UTC
Post by George Dance
If Winter Remain, by Clark Ashton Smith
Hateful, and most abhorred,
about us the season
of sleet, of snow and of frost
reaches, and seems unending
as plains whereon
lashed prisoners go
[...]
http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2015/02/if-winter-remain-clark-ashton-smith.html
Aha, I remember Clark Ashton Smith from my later childhood days, when I was steeped in Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Baudelaire and Rimbaud, the Cthulu Mythos, and all the lurching shambling horrors that went with it. Great stuff, and very influential on the Shadowville scene.

Here's a groovy quote from C.A.S.

"The nostalgia of things unknown, of lands forgotten or unfound, is upon me at times. Often I long for the gleam of yellow suns upon terraces of translucent azure marble, mocking the windless waters of lakes unfathomably calm; for lost, legendary palaces of serpentine, silver and ebony, whose columns are green stalactites; for the pillars of fallen temples, standing in the vast purpureal sunset of a land of lost and marvellous romance. I sigh for the dark-green depths of cedar forests, through whose fantastically woven boughs, one sees at intervals an unknown tropic ocean, like gleams of blue diamond; for isles of palm and coral, that fret an amber morning, somewhere beyond Cathay or Taprobane; for the strange and hidden cities of the desert, with burning brazen domes and slender pinnacles of gold and copper, that pierce a heaven of heated lazuli."
-Clark Ashton Smith, "Nostalgia of the Unknown"

Bring it on, to the Undiscovered Country, once more into the breech!

--
Made You Look?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153203573059363&l=f8af0899c7
George Dance
2015-02-28 23:08:09 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
I'm glad you know of that tradition (which I didn't until I started working on PPP). I wonder if Michael does, since it's the one he actually works within. It's a shame, really; if it weren't for the Mickey Mouse Act of 1998, all their works would be public domain by now, and everyone would probably be well aware of them; but nowadays one won't find any of their poetry without digging for it.
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 00:37:54 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
I'd be willing to wager that Michael is pretty well versed in these Weird Tales writers, in fact I think I've certainly seen him mention H.P. Lovecraft here, pretty much, with Poe, top of the top master of the Horror genre.

Then again, he doesn't seem to understand Harlan Ellison, so only Michael can say for sure.

:D
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Bring it on, to the Undiscovered Country, once more into the breech!
--
Made You Look?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153203573059363&l=f8af0899c7
--
"He's not gone as long as we... remember." -Dr. Leonard McCoy -
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/15928895-idol-hour-night--dockery-mallard
Michael Pendragon
When I was publishing "Penny Dreadful," I corresponded with a lot fellow writers with similar tastes (most of them living in England); and was a member of The Doppelganger Society which published a broadsheet that focused on horror and fantasy writings from that period. Robert W. Chambers, M.P. Shiel, M.R. James and William Hope Hodgson are other writers from this tradition who've still got large followings. Algernon Blackwood is my personal favorite.
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 01:45:03 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
Impressive list.

Great to know this creepy tradition continues.

:D
George Dance
2015-03-01 02:29:47 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
Sorry if I was unclear. I'm sure you know a lot more about the Cthulu writers' horror fiction than I do. And I'm sure that nearly every reader has at least heard of it. I was referring to their poetry: I'd had no idea that Smith, Lovecraft, Howard, and Frank Belknap Long all wrote Romantic/Gothic poetry, too; that's the part I fear may be being forgotten. I've never read a word in any poetry texts or anthologies that I've read (mind you, that's true of a number of top-notch poets, like Vachel Lindsay and Alfred Noyes, as well). As far as academia is concerned, their poetry never existed. And, due to the absurd U.S. copyright term, the Internet can't be counted on to fill the vacuum, either.
I'll search to see if (and what) poetry these writers have published. If I find some for anyone, I'll be sure to add him to the wiki, too.
Michael Pendragon
I'm familiar with some of Lovecraft's poetry, but nothing by Smith or the others. It would be great if you could put some more of them on TPB.
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 08:48:10 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
In the meantime, here are some Clark Ashton nSmith poems I've been reading tonight:

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/poetry/

"Smith primarily considered himself a poet, having turned to prose for the meager financial sum it rewarded, his prose might best be appreciated as a "fleshed" out poetry. In this light, plot and characters are subservient to the milieu of work: a setting of cold quiet reality, which, mixed with the erotic and the exotic, places his work within its own unique, phantasmagoric genre..."
George Dance
2015-03-01 13:55:17 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
That's a most excellent site, which appears to have everything on it that Smith ever wrote. Even better, he published a poetry collection as far back as 1916, which is clearly in the public domain in the U.S. Here's a link to it on the Project Gutenberg site:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38410

The only problem with reading a book by Smith on Eldritch Dark is that, because of the way it's laid out, one has to click on several links. Clicking on a book gives one a table of contents; clicking on the link to a poem or story then gives all the publication information for it; then one has to click on a third link to read it.

So, while I've linked E.D. in the Smith article's external links, and probably will link all the books on it as well at some time, I haven't as yet. I'm still hoping to find a better way to access them.
George Dance
2015-03-01 14:17:24 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
I'll start searching those authors today; thanks for the leads.

I can use some poetry by Lovecraft, since he died in 1937, which makes all the work he published in his lifetime in the public domain in Canada. Unfortunately, though, like Howard his poetry doesn't seem to have been collected in book form until the mid-1950s, which makes it all under copyright in the U.S. for at least another 30 years.

On the bright side, his fans haven't let that stop them from putting it on the Net, and the copyright holders seem to be lax about having it taken down. There are a lot of sites that have printed Lovecraft's poetry, of which this one looks like the most comprehensive

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/#poetry
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 15:37:36 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
If Winter Remain, by Clark Ashton Smith
Hateful, and most abhorred,
about us the season
of sleet, of snow and of frost
reaches, and seems unending
as plains whereon
lashed prisoners go
[...]
http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2015/02/if-winter-remain-clark-ashton-smith.html
<snipped for focus>
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Clark Ashton Smith, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, and Frank Belknap Long all wrote Romantic/Gothic poetry, too; that's the part I fear may be being forgotten. I've never read a word in any poetry texts or anthologies that I've read (mind you, that's true of a number of top-notch poets, like Vachel Lindsay and Alfred Noyes, as well). As far as academia is concerned, their poetry never existed. And, due to the absurd U.S. copyright term, the Internet can't be counted on to fill the vacuum, either.
I'm familiar with some of Lovecraft's poetry, but nothing by Smith or the others. It would be great if you could put some more of them on TPB.
I'll start searching those authors today; thanks for the leads.
I know you've noticed that the poetry of Frank Belknap Long is looking slightly more (at least) difficult to locate than Smith or Lovecraft, even Howard, but with some detailed use of keywords I feel something will surface. I did find this "transformative usage" musical adaptation of four poems by Frank Belknap Long, which you've likely seen also, which is very interesting from my perspective as a performance artist:

https://sites.google.com/site/iangayfordcomposer/recordings/four-poems-of-frank-belknap-long-i-sonnet

"The song cycle "Four Poems of Frank Belknap Long" was inspired by a collection of Belknap Long's poetry, entitled In Mayan Splendor [...] One of Long's greatest mentors was the famous Rhode Island author H.P. Lovecraft, who once said, 'the genius of Mr. Long is a spontaneous and self-expressive one.' ...The four poems presented in the piece create an arc that is maintained by several repeated, varied motivic ideas; these poems are 'Sonnet', 'A Sonnet for Seamen', 'Night-Trees', and 'In Antique Mood.' Essentially, the piece represents a progression from confidence in the way the world is to hysteria about all of the mysterious, frightening things that we encounter in our lives..." -Ian Gayford, the composer

Until texts of Frank Belknap Long's poetry become available (to me, you and then the newsgroup) these recordings are an excellent start and will remain of interest on other levels later.
Post by George Dance
I can use some poetry by Lovecraft, since he died in 1937, which makes all the work he published in his lifetime in the public domain in Canada. Unfortunately, though, like Howard his poetry doesn't seem to have been collected in book form until the mid-1950s, which makes it all under copyright in the U.S. for at least another 30 years.
On the bright side, his fans haven't let that stop them from putting it on the Net, and the copyright holders seem to be lax about having it taken down. There are a lot of sites that have printed Lovecraft's poetry, of which this one looks like the most comprehensive
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/#poetry
Also of interest is that it seems some of the letters the poets write each other have found their way into print, I'd like to find, and excerpt more of these as they relate to their discussions, which we might learn from and comment on additionally.

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/correspondence/10/from-clark-ashton-smith-to-frank-belknap-long-%281923-07-07%29

Letter to Frank Belknap Long
From Clark Ashton Smith
July 7th, 1923

"...I have been busy, for one thing...not, however, at poetry-writing--only at what the 100 per cent American would call "useful labour." Personally, I agree with De Gourmont that work is only a "sad necessity" at best. I can't understand the popular tendency to exalt and deify something that is usually disagreeable--or worse [...] "I suppose you are right about the northern peoples and their distrust of colour. Why don't you work out the theory in an essay? You could prove that poetry--like morality--is largely a matter of latitude."

(Published in the Necronomicon Amateur Press Association, Mailing 8. 1978.)
George Dance
2015-03-01 16:22:16 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
[...]
Thanks. I added that as an EL. On the whole, Long is a lost cause for now: he died in 1994, making his works copyrighted in Canada till 2045; and his first book of poems came out only in 1926, which keeps it copyrighted in the U.S. until 2020. Which illustrates what I said about the Mickey Mouse Act; if not for it, his first 3 collections would already be out of copyright there.
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
From Clark Ashton Smith
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 16:47:47 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
[...]
Frank Belknap Long also had the comprehensive collection published in 1977 also, but it had a print run of under 3000 copies, making it a book intentionally calculated to become a pricey collector's item. Some of these type books can still be found in book stores used, at incredibly low prices, but that's a matter of of luck in finding booksellers who don't know what gold they have.

Those book stores are becoming less and less freewheeling now that the owners can easily Google what they have and see the listed values online.
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
From Clark Ashton Smith
July 7th, 1923
"...I have been busy, for one thing...not, however, at poetry-writing--only at what the 100 per cent American would call "useful labour." Personally, I agree with De Gourmont that work is only a "sad necessity" at best. I can't understand the popular tendency to exalt and deify something that is usually disagreeable--or worse [...] "I suppose you are right about the northern peoples and their distrust of colour. Why don't you work out the theory in an essay? You could prove that poetry--like morality--is largely a matter of latitude."
(Published in the Necronomicon Amateur Press Association, Mailing 8. 1978.)
--
Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars (Jack Snipe, Rob Wright, Brian Mallard & Gabriel Holland)
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Will Dockery
2015-03-04 16:22:34 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
Yes, the fans of H.P. Lovecraft are, oddly, similar to those of the Grateful Dead, and the copyright holders seem to have similar stances as far as letting the material be presented on the fan sites, et cetera... the slightly harder to find works, and in the case of the Dead, almost every performance has been recorded in some form or another.

Another poet I've been reading, actually pointed out to be by Lisa Scarboro from her "Poratble Beat" volume is the very obscure Beatnik poet Ray Bremser, who pretty much began and ended his poetry career with one 1965 small press chapbook:

anyway, funk is when
thelonious monk peeps
above the bamboo shades
to see the piana setting there,
bald and bold ... monk looks at it,
while the bass run and the drummer
bugs him with the cymbal ... 6 days sleepless ...
monk looks ... perfectly zonked and
loafing on the stool ... he looks
and looks
and the bass and drummer meet
like flys making it on the mid-air,
attracting, (at least,) the ears
of monk, who lifts his hands
and lets them fall on the keys in
commentary; with whut's funk.
-Ray Bremser

Read more at:
http://www.blacklistedjournalist.com/column74g.html

[POEMS OF MADNESS was originally published in 1965 by PAPER BOOK GALLERY and reprinted by WATER ROW PRESS, PO Box 438, Sudbury, MA 01776. These excerpts from POEMS OF MADNESS appears here with the permission of Jeffrey Weinberg, publisher of WATER ROW PRESS and literary executor of the poet's estate.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Bremser

"Ray Bremser (February 22, 1934 - November 3, 1998) was an American poet. Bremser was born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He began writing poetry there and sent copies to Allen Ginsberg, Gregory Corso and LeRoi Jones (Imamu Amear Baraka), who published his poems in 'Yugen' and threw a big party for him when he got out of jail in 1958..."
George Dance
2015-03-05 01:13:45 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]
I changed the subject header, BTW, in the hope of making the Lovecraft links easier to find in a search later.
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Thanks for the leads. I've added Bremser into PPP, using the wiki article, and adding a few links (including the one to the above book) and a video. I compiled a new bibliography: turns out he published at least 6 books, right up to his death in the late 90s. As a bonus, I even found (and referenced) a mention of him in a Dylan poem:

http://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_Bremser
Hieronymous707
2015-03-05 12:51:48 UTC
Post by George Dance
I changed the subject header, BTW, in the hope of making the Lovecraft links easier to find in a search later.
So much of my work concerns Faith, Hope, and Charity that I can't help
but wonder how those things apply to other people also. So, when you
comment about hoping to make something easier to find later, I wonder
exactly who you imagine to be searching and when. Then, I wonder how
you think the changes you've made will make your, or someone else's
search for Lovecraft later, 'easier', specifically. Just wondering, BTW.

Thanks,

707
Will Dockery
2015-03-05 16:32:37 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
Post by George Dance
I changed the subject header, BTW, in the hope of making the Lovecraft links easier to find in a search later.
So much of my work concerns Faith, Hope, and Charity that I can't help
but wonder how those things apply to other people also. So, when you
comment about hoping to make something easier to find later, I wonder
exactly who you imagine to be searching and when. Then, I wonder how
you think the changes you've made will make your, or someone else's
search for Lovecraft later, 'easier', specifically. Just wondering, BTW.
Thanks,
707
The quick, simple answer is that George means that when someone does, say, a Google search for "H.P. Lovecraft" and this thread shows up, the link will hopefully take him discussion of H.P. Lovecraft, rather than some off-topic material.

The same goes for those readers who are searching for material on Ray Bremster also, of course.

:D

HTH & HAND.
Hieronymous707
2015-03-05 17:16:43 UTC
I agree. When someone does a Google search, on anybody or anything,
they generally do want quick and simple. Usenet discussions are never
near the top of the list of links offered, and are certainly not a quick and
simple source of accurate information except as a link to a link to a link.
Will Dockery
Actually I find that sometimes Usenet discussions /are/ near the top of the list depending on how obscure the subject might be.
Hieronymous707
2015-03-05 17:37:57 UTC
Oh, okay. Good for you. That explains it. Thanks.
Will Dockery
2015-03-05 17:48:22 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
Oh, okay. Good for you. That explains it. Thanks.
Okay, glad to help.
--
"He's not gone as long as we... Remember." -Dr. Leonard McCoy -

"Under The Radar (for Sam Singer)" / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars -
http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/12609809
Will Dockery
2015-03-05 17:44:19 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Another poet I've been reading, actually pointed out to be by Lisa Scarboro from her "Poratble Beat" volume
Actually, the poetry of Lisa Scarboro herself is definitely worth a little archiving also, come to think of it, here's one I quickly found on a Google Search (with Usenet entries pretty high on the list, to refer to a discussion we are having elsewhere), and when time permits I will post more.

http://www.asstr.org/files/Authors/Roller/poem47

PROBLEMS? Please try viewing this with Netscape Navigator.

Yo Sista
by Lisa Scarboro

Good coffee here,
Don't ruin it with too much sugar, sugar.
Walking in on a cold call,
not knowing what the place is like,
wondering if my poetry will move anyone,
and if it does,
I hope it won't be out the door.
Mr. Wrong and Peter Piper sit with the comic guy.
Poor and Sarah were on three legged stools.
The Blue boys are hanging by the door, because they
like the neon light that's shining on them there.
Rasta Man is upbeat, buzzing on the beans.
Patterns changing, rearranging.
Glass brickwork with no reflections.
ThereÕs a mysterious woman in a raincoat, watching
through the mist, still as a painting.
A Russian kat told Sarah that he had a dream about
her and her money.
The little silver bullet misfired and shot a blank.
Good thing we parked on a hill.

-For more poems, type
http://www.dejanews.com/
into your browserÕs ÒLocationÓ window. Press your ÒreturnÓ key.
Click on ÒPower SearchÓ in the middle of the screen. Next,
Type in: ***@earthlink.net in the box that appears.
Click on ÒfindÓ (the button to the right of the box).
-Or search using: ***@idt.net

Yo Sista is copyright 1998 by Lisa Scarboro

I got permission from Lisa yesterday to post her poetry here, btw, to save the whiners and complaniers the trouble of asking about that.

:D
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Looks good... Lisa Scarboro should be added to the Penny Wiki as well, if she isn't already, along with several other notable local poets... when... wait for it...

Time permits.
Hieronymous707
2015-03-05 17:52:19 UTC
If you just want to 'archive' stuff, fine.
I thought we were having a discussion
here, not elsewhere. Thus, the whole
Lisa Scarboro thing was a bit of an over
reach, I mean like a bridge too far.
Will Dockery
This is a discussion /about/ archiving, at some points.
Hieronymous707
2015-03-05 18:13:06 UTC
Oh, okay. Sorry. Go ahead. Make your point.
Peter J Ross
2015-03-05 19:58:38 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Thu, 5 Mar 2015 09:44:19 -0800 (PST),
Post by Will Dockery
PROBLEMS? Please try viewing this with Netscape Navigator.
Are you living in the Stone Age, Dreckster, or does living in
Racistville GA merely *seem* like living in the Stone Age?
--
PJR :-)
... ἐκ γὰρ εὐτυχοῦς
— Euripides
Will Dockery
2015-03-05 20:34:50 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
PROBLEMS? Please try viewing this with Netscape Navigator.
Are you living in the Stone Age
or does living in
Racistville GA merely *seem* like living in the Stone Age?
Well, it isn't any secret that this is one of the racist areas in the world,
and in fact was founded on racism, since you asked, here's part of the
story:

http://www.youpoetry.info/re-crashing-the-black-helicopters

Re: "Crashing the Black Helicopters"

From the archives, reposted for information, discussion, historical and
other fair use purposes:

From: Will Dockery (opb…@yahoo.com)
Subject: ‘Gods & Generals’: Rich Man’s War
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan, alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: 2004-11-30 08:42:34 PST

An aspect of the Civil War routinely ignored by Hollywood:
Rich Man’s War:

Class, Caste, and Confederate Defeat in the Lower
Chattahoochee Valley
By David Williams
Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 1998. $34.95
Reviewed by Thandeka
The importance of David Williams’s new book, Rich
Man’s War: Class, Caste, and Confederate Defeat in the
Lower Chattahoochee Valley, cannot be overestimated.
[...]
The socioeconomic factors in the South that led first
to the Civil War and then to the defeat of the
Confederacy, focusing primarily on the thriving
industrial center of Columbus, Georgia, and its
surrounding area, which by 1860 was producing almost a
quarter million cotton bales annually. During the
war, this area became a center for war-related
industries because it was deep in the southern
heartland, far from major theaters of combat; had rail
connections to every major city in the South; and was
at the head of navigation on the Chattahoochee River.
The southern planter
class created the white race for purposes of class
exploitation. Until then in Colonial America,
people’s race was defined by their class, and there
was no distinction in law or custom between European
and African servants, all of whom were known as
"slaves." Not surprisingly, these bondservants lived,
loved, worked, and rebelled against their upper-class
oppressors together.
[...]
But under the planters’ new race laws, race was
defined by genealogy. Masters and servants who could
claim that all their ancestors came from Europe became
members of the white race. In truth, of course, the
"poor whites" continued to be viewed as an alien race
by the elite. As one Georgia planter wrote a friend,
"Not one in ten [poor whites] is. . . . a whit
superior to a negro." Privately called "white trash"
by the elite, the poor whites were publicly embraced
as racial kin by the planters, 3.7 percent of the
population who owned 58 percent of the region’s slaves
and were dead set on keeping their exploited workers
divided by racial contempt. Because the antebellum
South’s pervasive class exploitation depended on
fabricated white racial pride, any challenge to racial
solidarity among whites threatened to reveal the
hidden class system. Here lay the path to revolution.
"The lords of the lash are not only absolute masters
of the blacks. . . . but they are also the oracles and
arbiters of all non-slaveholding whites, whose freedom
is merely nominal, and whose unparalleled illiteracy
and degradation is purposely and fiendishly
perpetuated."
[...]
Georgia’s very decision to secede
from the Union was never put to a popular vote.
Rather, it was made by secession delegates, 87 percent
of them slaveholders in a state where only 37 percent
of the electorate owned slaves. These delegates knew
better than to heed anti-secessionist delegates’ plea
to submit the decision to the electorate for final
determination. After all, more than half the South’s
white population, three-quarters of whom owned no
slaves, opposed secession.
[...]
To add insult to injury, planters continued growing
cotton (rather than food) and traded with the North as
poorer whites and the army faced starvation. Not surprisingly,
by 1863, food riots were breaking out all over the
South, led by the starving wives left behind as their
starving husbands, sons, and fathers died for the rich
men and their slaves.
And always, the racial degradation of the poor white
continued.
[...]
The bands of poorer Southern whites who organized
against the Confederacy and who indeed were abused and
exploited by their overlords, first as wage-slaves and
then as canon fodder. Sadly, these Confederate
deserters never understood that not even the one thing
they held onto as their own-their self-image as
whites-actually belonged to them. Rather it was one
among many means used by rich men to exploit them.

Again, in advance of the whiners and hypocrites, the above excerpt was
posted for information, discussion and histirical purposes... thus, fair
use.

And so it goes.
—-

Happy to shed some light for you about the way things really went down in
Shadowville, Peter.
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Amazing history...……………..
Michael Pendragon
Date: 2004-11-30 08:42:34 PST
[...]
Ah, the amazing history of Georgian white trash!

Addendum: Modern examples can be found in and around Columbus, GA. Some living off their mentally disabled brother's disability checks and sleeping in the family shed; others camping out in the hobo camps by the Chattahoochee river. They're known to assemble at Legends Bar on "Open Mic Wednesdays" where they drunkenly perform karaoke covers of classic rock songs.
George J. Dance
I'm glad someone's writing about it. You'd be surprised how many neo-confederates push the collectivist line that it was the "states" that began the war by seceding, and not (as it was) a small clique of slaveowners fomenting an illegal rebellion.
m***@gmail.com
Date: 2004-11-30 08:42:34 PST
[...]
I'm glad you like the article, George.

What are your thoughts on this statement from it? "The southern planter class created the white race for purposes of class exploitation."

It certainly sheds a new light on the history of the white race.
George J. Dance
Date: 2004-11-30 08:42:34 PST
[...]
It fits with the standard view in the social sciences:

The term "white race" or "white people" entered the major European languages in the later 17th century, originating with the racialization of slavery at the time, in the context of the Atlantic slave trade[11] and the enslavement of indigenous peoples in the Spanish Empire.[12] It has repeatedly been ascribed to strains of blood, ancestry, and physical traits, and was eventually made into a subject of scientific research, which culminated in scientific racism, which was later widely repudiated by the scientific community. According to historian Irene Silverblatt, "Race thinking […] made social categories into racial truths."[12] Bruce David Baum, citing the work of Ruth Frankenberg, states, "the history of modern racist domination has been bound up with the history of how European peoples defined themselves (and sometimes some other peoples) as members of a superior 'white race'."[13] Alastair Bonnett argues that 'white identity', as it is presently conceived, is an American project, reflecting American interpretations of race and history."[14]...

[11] Dee, James H. (2004). "Black Odysseus, White Caesar: When Did 'White People' Become 'White'?". The Classical Journal. 99 (2): 157–167. doi:10.2307/3298065 (inactive 2018-05-30). JSTOR 3298065.
[12] Jump up to: a b Silverblatt, Irene (2004). Modern Inquisitions: Peru and the colonial origins of the civilized world. Durham: Duke University Press. p. 139. ISBN 0-8223-8623-2.
[13] Baum, Bruce David (2006). The rise and fall of the Caucasian race: A political history of racial identity. NYU Press. p. 247. ISBN 978-0-8147-9892-8.
[14] Alastair Bonnett White Identities: An Historical & International Introduction. Routledge, London 1999, ISBN 0-582-35627-X / ISBN 978-0-582-35627-6.
Not at all; it just repeats what everyone who's read about the subject already knows.
George J. Dance
Date: 2004-11-30 08:42:34 PST
Post by m***@gmail.com
It certainly sheds a new light on the history of the white race.
Not at all; it just repeats what everyone who's read about the subject already knows.
My apologies to all: I forgot to give a cite for the above quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people

Will Dockery
2018-12-28 14:03:51 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan, alt.arts.poetry.comments
Yes, it was truly a "Rich Man's War".
Will Dockery
2015-03-12 22:22:47 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
[...]

Good deal.

I hope to have time to get some work done in the Wiki perhaps later tonight
or at least over the weekend.
--
Gone Too Far live video

Peter J Ross
2015-03-05 19:55:12 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Wed, 4 Mar 2015 08:22:34 -0800 (PST),
Post by Will Dockery
Yes, the fans of H.P. Lovecraft are, oddly, similar to those of the
Grateful Dead,
You ought to post a c&c (coffee and cats) warning before posting this
kind of nonsense, Dreckster.

<spewsnip>
— Euripides
Will Dockery
Truth is often funnier than fiction.
Will Dockery
2016-11-13 15:57:56 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]

I noticed when I was in Atlanta last week that there was quite a lot of
Lovecraft back in print... I wasn't aware he (and hopefully his comrades,
such as Howard and Smith) were having a resurge in interest with modern
readers.
Will Dockery
2016-11-24 10:06:01 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
[...]

Additional note, I am actually seeing editions of H.P. Lovecraft pretty much
at every book store I visit these days. Apparently HPL is undergoing a bit
of a revival.
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 03:27:20 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Robert W. Chambers, M.P. Shiel, M.R. James and William Hope Hodgson are other
writers from this tradition who've still got large followings. Algernon
Blackwood is my personal favorite.
I'll search to see if (and what) poetry these writers have published. If I find some for anyone, I'll be sure to add him to the wiki, too.
Robert E. Howard is fairly well represented online with his poetry, probably because he's so famous as the creator of Conan The Barbarian...

http://users.rcn.com/shogan/howard/excerpts/epoetry.htm
George Dance
2015-03-01 13:43:24 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Robert W. Chambers, M.P. Shiel, M.R. James and William Hope Hodgson are other
writers from this tradition who've still got large followings. Algernon
Blackwood is my personal favorite.
I'll search to see if (and what) poetry these writers have published. If I find some for anyone, I'll be sure to add him to the wiki, too.
Robert E. Howard is fairly well represented online with his poetry, probably because he's so famous as the creator of Conan The Barbarian...
http://users.rcn.com/shogan/howard/excerpts/epoetry.htm
That was a new site to me, which I've added to Howard's article as an EL. Notice, though, that the guy doesn't print complete poems but only excerpts (probably because of copyright restrictions).

I'd call Howard one of the hardest to use; the problem being that, although he died in 1936 (meaning anything he published in his lifetime is in the public domain in Canada and Europe), none of his poetry appears to have been published in book form before 1957.

I've been able to find only two sites which feature complete poems by REH: a blog with 6 poems in an introductory essay on a weblog

http://themysticfool.blogspot.ca/2007/12/poems-by-robert-e-howard.html

and 19 poems on the AllPoetry site

http://allpoetry.com/Robert-E.--Howard
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 15:52:20 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
[...]
Thanks, that getting Robert E. Howard covered. With Frank Belknap Long, obviously the book to look for is the 1977 collection "In Mayan Splendor":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Mayan_Splendor

In Mayan Splendor is a collection of poems by Frank Belknap Long. It was released in 1977 by Arkham House in an edition of 2,947 copies. The book is illustrated by Stephen E. Fabian and contains the complete contents of Long's earlier verse collections, A Man from Genoa (1926) and The Goblin Tower (1935) plus additional poems.

In Mayan Splendor contains the following poems:

"In Mayan Splendor"
"A Knight of La Mancha"
"Sonnet"
"A Man from Genoa"
"Advice"
"Pirate-Men"
"On Icy Kinarth"
"The Magi"
"On Reading Arthur Machen"
"Stallions of the Moon"
"In Hospital"
"Ballad of St. Anthony"
"The White People"
"An Old Tale Retold"
"Prediction"
"The Rebel"
"Two Stanzas for Master François Villon"
"The Goblin Tower"
"West Indies"
"The Hashish-Eater"
"When We Have Seen"
"The Marriage of Sir John de Mandeville"
"Manhattan Skyline & W.W."
"The Horror on Dagoth Wold"
"In the Garden of Eros"
"The Prophet"
"Night-Trees"
"Florence"
"When Chaugnar Wakes"
"In Antique Mood"
"The Abominable Snow Men"
"A Sonnet for Seamen"
"Ballad of Mary Magdalene"
"Great Ashtoreth"
"Subway"
"An Old Wife Speaketh It"
"A Time Will Come"
"The Inland Sea"
"Exotic Quest"
"H.P. Lovecraft"

Either collectively or individually I think there's a good bet that some number of these have been featured, referenced, or otherwise quoted on the internet or Usenet at some point. In fact, a check right now of the Usenet archives might turn some interesting posts up, I'll do that now.
Will Dockery
2015-03-03 10:01:43 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
[...]
Good sites, but watch Peter whine and moan just because you posted links to them.

Which is okay, since it clearly exposes PJR's hypocrisy when he defends posters like Fred Hall, who posted the entire "Howl" poem (a poem of several pages in length!) without any permission or even a link to the source... yet here he'll complain over even the reference to copyrighted poetry.

Examples and evidence to follow.
Peter J Ross
2015-03-05 19:48:31 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Tue, 3 Mar 2015 02:01:43 -0800 (PST),
<spamsnip>

Why do you morons spam this garbage into a poetry newsgroup?

HINT: The answer is concealed in the question.
— Euripides
Michael Pendragon
You might do well to turn this question back upon yourself.
Peter J Ross
2015-03-05 22:07:24 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Thu, 5 Mar 2015 11:54:13 -0800 (PST),
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Tue, 3 Mar 2015 02:01:43 -0800 (PST),
<spamsnip>
Why do you morons spam this garbage into a poetry newsgroup?
HINT: The answer is concealed in the question.
You might do well to turn this question back upon yourself.
Are you so lazy that you seriously expect me to type your IKYABWAIs
for you, Creepster?
— Euripides
Michael Pendragon
2015-03-06 02:41:22 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Tue, 3 Mar 2015 02:01:43 -0800 (PST),
<spamsnip>
Why do you morons spam this garbage into a poetry newsgroup?
HINT: The answer is concealed in the question.
You might do well to turn this question back upon yourself.
Are you so lazy that you seriously expect me to type your IKYABWAIs
for you, Creepster?
In this case, your accusation really does pertain to your own behavior far more than to Will's.

Have you posted anything here today other than childish insults? In the year that I've been here you've:

1) posted a half dozen or so pieces of gibberish under the pretense that they were poetry, when any experienced poetry readers would (and did) immediately recognize them as intentionally bad camp pastiches used to troll this group;

2) critiqued (for the most part, legitimately) the handful of poems Gwyneth posted; and

3) spewed forth an endless tirade of childish rants (replete with false accusations, personal insults, and preschool level name calling) into every thread (in effect, hijacking them).

In short, you've been the usenet equivalent of an overflowing cesspool.
Peter J Ross
2015-03-07 18:32:06 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
[...]
Why do you hate literate people so much that you have to lie and rant
about them all the time, Creepster?
— Euripides
Michael Pendragon
ROTFLMAO. The more I get to know you, the more I realize just how big an act your pretense to "literacy" is.
Peter J Ross
2015-03-09 11:03:49 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Sat, 7 Mar 2015 18:14:04 -0800 (PST),
Post by Michael Pendragon
ROTFLMAO. The more I get to know you, the more I realize just how
big an act your pretense to "literacy" is.
An interesting fact about literacy is that it can't be faked.

Wait: let me give you what you probably think is the literate version
of that.

An irnteresting farct abourt lirteracy is that it carn't be farked.
— Euripides
Michael Pendragon
Yes, I believe that's what I just said.
Peter J Ross
2015-03-09 15:21:58 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
ROTFLMAO. The more I get to know you, the more I realize just how
big an act your pretense to "literacy" is.
An interesting fact about literacy is that it can't be faked.
Yes, I believe that's what I just said.
You really ought to stick to bragging about how tall you are, and how
many children you've begotten, and how many of the lurkers support you
in email. Such claims can't be checked.

But when you brag about how literate you are, the mere language in
which you brag exposes you.
— Euripides
R***@yahoo.com
2015-03-09 16:00:58 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
ROTFLMAO. The more I get to know you, the more I realize just how
big an act your pretense to "literacy" is.
An interesting fact about literacy is that it can't be faked.
Yes, I believe that's what I just said.
You really ought to stick to bragging about how tall you are,
A fraction of an inch shy of 6'1". Not particularly tall, and certainly not tall enough for one to be "bragging about."

However, one supposes that for a runt like yourself, anything over 5'2" would be considered a laudable achievement.
Post by Peter J Ross
and how
many children you've begotten,
Three. Again, hardly an exceptional number.

However, one supposes that for a poofter like yourself, *any* offspring would constitute an impossible dream.
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many of the lurkers support you
in email. Such claims can't be checked.
I don't discuss my personal emails here.
That's what I've been saying to you for the past two days, Peter.
Peter J Ross
2015-03-09 16:53:05 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
ROTFLMAO. The more I get to know you, the more I realize just
how big an act your pretense to "literacy" is.
An interesting fact about literacy is that it can't be faked.
Yes, I believe that's what I just said.
You really ought to stick to bragging about how tall you are,
A fraction of an inch shy of 6'1". Not particularly tall, and
certainly not tall enough for one to be "bragging about."
So why do you brag about it?
Post by R***@yahoo.com
However, one supposes that for a runt like yourself, anything over
5'2" would be considered a laudable achievement.
In answer to a question I've repeatedly been asked by my stalkers, I'm
a shade under 5'10". Most young people tower over me, the way I used
to tower over most old people, and the way Aratzio towers over
everybody.
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many children you've begotten,
Three. Again, hardly an exceptional number.
Wasn't it only one last week?
Post by R***@yahoo.com
However, one supposes that for a poofter like yourself, *any*
offspring would constitute an impossible dream.
I think you and your gang have received enough personal information to
circle-jerk over for one day.
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many of the lurkers support you
in email. Such claims can't be checked.
I don't discuss my personal emails here.
If you want to succeed on Usenet, you have to try to learn what some
of the standard Usenet jokes are. "The lurkers support me in email"
stands as shorthand for all the unverifiable claims that kooks like to
make. An example of usage:

Kook: I was a straight-A student at college!
Non-kook: Do the lurkers also support you in email?

See also the famous song:
<http://onlinemanship.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lurkers_Support_Me_In_Email>
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
But when you brag about how literate you are, the mere language in
which you brag exposes you.
That's what I've been saying to you for the past two days, Peter.
I already knew that you'd been posting IKYABWAIs for the past two
days. Knowing things like that is one of the things that we literate
people are good at.
— Euripides
Michael Pendragon
2015-03-09 17:58:14 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
ROTFLMAO. The more I get to know you, the more I realize just
how big an act your pretense to "literacy" is.
An interesting fact about literacy is that it can't be faked.
Yes, I believe that's what I just said.
You really ought to stick to bragging about how tall you are,
A fraction of an inch shy of 6'1". Not particularly tall, and
certainly not tall enough for one to be "bragging about."
So why do you brag about it?
Just stating a fact.
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by R***@yahoo.com
However, one supposes that for a runt like yourself, anything over
5'2" would be considered a laudable achievement.
In answer to a question I've repeatedly been asked by my stalkers, I'm
a shade under 5'10".
Right ...
Post by Peter J Ross
Most young people tower over me, the way I used
to tower over most old people, and the way Aratzio towers over
everybody.
Slurpity-slurp slurp slurp.
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many children you've begotten,
Three. Again, hardly an exceptional number.
Wasn't it only one last week?
One daughter.

Two sons.

Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many of the lurkers support you
in email. Such claims can't be checked.
I don't discuss my personal emails here.
If you want to succeed on Usenet, you have to try to learn what some
of the standard Usenet jokes are. "The lurkers support me in email"
stands as shorthand for all the unverifiable claims that kooks like to
Correction: that kooks like *you* make.

1) I am not a member of your kooksite, and
2) I have never made any such claims.
Post by Peter J Ross
Kook: I was a straight-A student at college!
Non-kook: Do the lurkers also support you in email?
It strikes me as a slight variation on the following recent exchange:

Non-kook: I have a poem appearing in "(X Journal)".
Kook: AGNI has repeatedly begged to publish my verses, but I continually turn them down.
You've been consistently exposing your lack of literary knowledge since the first week I joined this group: when you posted your "translation" of "Ode to Man" that not only missed, but actually conflicted with, Sophocles' intent.
Peter J Ross
2015-03-09 18:13:49 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by R***@yahoo.com
However, one supposes that for a runt like yourself, anything over
5'2" would be considered a laudable achievement.
In answer to a question I've repeatedly been asked by my stalkers, I'm
a shade under 5'10".
Right ...
5'9¾", according to my mother. If you want to fantasise about her,
she's 5'6", btw.

Why are you and your gang so obsessed with such things?

Your lost leader, chuckles lysaght used to brag about being 6'2" (or
6'3", or 6'4", since drinking "Harps" always made him grow taller)
until a group photograph proved that either all the other Jacksonville
FL garbage-collectors were professional basketball players or he was
about 5'3".
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
Most young people tower over me, the way I used
to tower over most old people, and the way Aratzio towers over
everybody.
Slurpity-slurp slurp slurp.
He's a fuckhead. A terrifyingly tall fuckhead, but still a fuckhead.
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many children you've begotten,
Three. Again, hardly an exceptional number.
Wasn't it only one last week?
One daughter.
Two sons.
One + two = three.
Nice recovery!

To be honest, I was setting a little trap for you. On this occasion,
you didn't fall in.
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many of the lurkers support you
in email. Such claims can't be checked.
I don't discuss my personal emails here.
If you want to succeed on Usenet, you have to try to learn what some
of the standard Usenet jokes are. "The lurkers support me in email"
stands as shorthand for all the unverifiable claims that kooks like to
Correction: that kooks like *you* make.
1) I am not a member of your kooksite, and
2) I have never made any such claims.
Got any evidence that I have a "kooksite" that has "members"?
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
Kook: I was a straight-A student at college!
Non-kook: Do the lurkers also support you in email?
Non-kook: I have a poem appearing in "(X Journal)".
Kook: AGNI has repeatedly begged to publish my verses, but I continually turn them down.
I thought you didn't want to be published in reputable journals, kook?
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
But when you brag about how literate you are, the mere language
in which you brag exposes you.
That's what I've been saying to you for the past two days, Peter.
I already knew that you'd been posting IKYABWAIs for the past two
days. Knowing things like that is one of the things that we
literate people are good at.
You've been consistently exposing your lack of literary knowledge
since the first week I joined this group: when you posted your
"translation" of "Ode to Man" that not only missed, but actually
conflicted with, Sophocles' intent.
Your delusion that Sophocles wrote an "Ode to Man" was laughed at when
you first shared it. Find some new delusions, please!
— Euripides
Michael Pendragon
2015-03-09 20:34:46 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by R***@yahoo.com
However, one supposes that for a runt like yourself, anything over
5'2" would be considered a laudable achievement.
In answer to a question I've repeatedly been asked by my stalkers, I'm
a shade under 5'10".
Right ...
5'9¾", according to my mother. If you want to fantasise about her,
she's 5'6", btw.
Why are you and your gang so obsessed with such things?
You're the one who claimed I was "bragging" about my slightly above average height.
Post by Peter J Ross
Your lost leader, chuckles lysaght used to brag about being 6'2" (or
6'3", or 6'4", since drinking "Harps" always made him grow taller)
until a group photograph proved that either all the other Jacksonville
FL garbage-collectors were professional basketball players or he was
about 5'3".
Based on your photos, I estimate your height to be approximately 4'11". It's partially the lentil you've got in place of your nose that leads me to this estimate.

Your obvious stubby cigar syndrome is another.
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
Most young people tower over me, the way I used
to tower over most old people, and the way Aratzio towers over
everybody.
Slurpity-slurp slurp slurp.
He's a fuckhead. A terrifyingly tall fuckhead, but still a fuckhead.
No back pedaling. A Slurpity-slurp slurp slurp is a Slurpity-slurp slurp slurp.
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many children you've begotten,
Three. Again, hardly an exceptional number.
Wasn't it only one last week?
One daughter.
Two sons.
One + two = three.
Nice recovery!
To be honest, I was setting a little trap for you. On this occasion,
you didn't fall in.
I really can't imagine why you'd think that anyone would lie about having children.

Unless your paranoia causes you to suspect *everything* about *everyone* you believe to be in the "Let's Get PJR Gang".
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by R***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter J Ross
and how many of the lurkers support you
in email. Such claims can't be checked.
I don't discuss my personal emails here.
If you want to succeed on Usenet, you have to try to learn what some
of the standard Usenet jokes are. "The lurkers support me in email"
stands as shorthand for all the unverifiable claims that kooks like to
Correction: that kooks like *you* make.
1) I am not a member of your kooksite, and
2) I have never made any such claims.
Got any evidence that I have a "kooksite" that has "members"?
Alt.net.kooks. Your posts are all over it.
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
Kook: I was a straight-A student at college!
Non-kook: Do the lurkers also support you in email?
Non-kook: I have a poem appearing in "(X Journal)".
Kook: AGNI has repeatedly begged to publish my verses, but I continually turn them down.
I thought you didn't want to be published in reputable journals, kook?
I want to be published in *every* journal.
Yes, I've heard that loonies often laugh for no apparent reason.
Will Dockery
2015-03-09 23:57:58 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Peter J Ross
I thought you didn't want to be published in reputable journals
I want to be published in *every* journal.
Exactly... and why not?

What is the purpose of remaining an unknown, obscure poet if that can be changed?
--
The March 2015 issue of Playgrounds Magazine includes my poem "Haiku You":

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/357684395381316118/

Circulation: Over 10,000 copies & readers.
Will Dockery
2015-03-10 10:48:04 UTC
I really can't imagine why PJR would think that anyone would lie about having children.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/357684395378115715/

Here I am with my two oldest children, which next of course Peter and his ilk will probably demand blood tests!

:D
Will Dockery
2015-03-09 16:04:47 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
You really ought to stick to bragging about how tall you are, and how
many children you've begotten, and how many of the lurkers support you
in email. Such claims can't be checked.
You can always get one of your stalker friends to find these details out about Michael, you know... like you guys used to do with Chuck, and the way you stalk George Dance and his family now.

Just sayin'.

:D
Will Dockery
2015-03-05 20:08:41 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
spam this garbage
into a poetry newsgroup
--
PJR :-)
Just as you promised you'd do, over a decade ago, Peter... one of your few

http://rec.arts.poems.narkive.com/pv7HPWuq/rap-aapc-galleries-going-offline

"I forget who had the original idea, dea, but I was the one foolish enough
to volunteer to host the site. I'll save the material from
http://pages.britishlibrary.net/pjr/ in case somebody wants to take it
over, but to be honest I'm tired of hosting a website where poetasters
aren't distinguished from competent writers. In fact, I'm tired of
pretending to be a "regular" in newsgroups where 90% of the on-topic
posts consist of hilarious doggerel and inept comments. RAP and AAPC
are no longer of interest to me except as sources of potential
net.kooks. I'm not going to leave, but my sole interest from now on
will be in persecuting morons such as chuckles, pandora, Shambat,
Tommy, and the dozens of others who are on their low intellectual
level. It's unlikely that I'll ever make an on-topic post in RAP or AAPC
again. Doing so would be a waste of my time. So killfile me. Bye!"
-Peter J. Ross

And so, as promised... PJR went.
George Dance
2015-03-07 02:40:01 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Tue, 3 Mar 2015 02:01:43 -0800 (PST),
<spamsnip>
Why do you morons spam this garbage into a poetry newsgroup?
HINT: The answer is concealed in the question.
Is that supposed to be a Riddle Poem? Not much of a poem, but then, what of yours is not? So let's have a try.

What you snipped (completely "concealed") was discussion of and links to poetry. Why was it posted? The answer is also partly "concealed" (buried) in the question: because it's a POETRY NEWSGROUP, dumbass.
— Euripides
Will Dockery
Let's take a wild guess here now and ask if Peter J. Ross is going to turn out to be jealous of Robert E. Howard like he already is known to be jealous over such poets as Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman and Allen Ginsberg?
Peter J Ross
2015-03-02 22:02:15 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 19:27:20 -0800 (PST),
Post by Will Dockery
Robert E. Howard is fairly well represented online with his poetry,
probably because he's so famous as the creator of Conan The
Barbarian...
http://users.rcn.com/COPYRIGHT ABUSE>
Why are you and your gang such persistent copyright abusers, thief?
— Euripides
Peter J Ross
2015-03-02 22:15:49 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Robert E. Howard is fairly well represented online with his poetry,
probably because he's so famous as the creator of Conan The
Barbarian...
http://users.rcn.com/COPYRIGHT ABUSE>
Why are you and your gang such persistent copyright abusers, thief?
Before you whine, yes, he's out of copyright. I had him confused with
a more recent purveyor of idiotic dreck.
— Euripides
Will Dockery
2015-03-02 22:18:29 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Robert E. Howard is fairly well represented online with his poetry,
probably because he's so famous as the creator of Conan The
Barbarian...
Before you whine, yes, he's out of copyright.
So, why are you interested, you're looking for new material for your friend Michael Cook to steal?

Just curious.
Will Dockery
2015-03-02 22:16:23 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Robert E. Howard is fairly well represented online with his poetry,
probably because he's so famous as the creator of Conan The
Barbarian...
http://users.rcn.com/
Why are you and your gang such persistent
All I did was post a link, fool.

But why are you such a lying hypocrite, Peter?

Just curious.
Will Dockery
2015-03-03 10:14:26 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Robert E. Howard is fairly well represented online with his poetry,
probably because he's so famous as the creator of Conan The
Barbarian...
http://users.rcn.com/COPYRIGHT ABUSE>
Posting a link isn't "copyright abuse", fool... even you should understand that.
Post by Peter J Ross
persistent copyright abusers
Like, say, Fred Hall, PJR?

Speaking of copyright infringement, PJR, how about when you defended Fred Hall's theft of "Howl"?

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/ffk-i-voDy0/tVyANSyilq8J
Post by Peter J Ross
Top this boys and girls
Top what... the "Howl" poem or your spectacularly clueless copyright infringement of it?

:D
Post by Peter J Ross
HOWL
by Allen Ginsberg
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by
madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn
looking for an angry fix,
<Fred Hall's copyright abuse snipped>
Post by Peter J Ross
in my dreams you walk dripping from a sea-
journey on the highway across America in tears
to the door of my cottage in the Western night
And... so it went.

Your, PJR's defense of Fred Hall's copyright abuse of Allen Ginsberg goes here:

:D
Post by Peter J Ross
--
"These clowns are all Jokers!" - Rasta Khan
Check out "Idol Hour Night" / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/15928895-idol-hour-night--dockery-mallard
Will Dockery
2016-07-26 07:30:27 UTC
Post by George Dance
If Winter Remain, by Clark Ashton Smith
Hateful, and most abhorred,
about us the season
of sleet, of snow and of frost
reaches, and seems unending
as plains whereon
lashed prisoners go
[...]
http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2015/02/if-winter-remain-clark-ashton-smith.html
This seems to be a good thread for me to quickly archive a few "new" and rather obscure poets, at least for now until we can investigate them further.

These were provided to me by Stephan Pickering.
Shalom & Boker tov, Will...you like Reb Cohen...except for certain pieces here-and-there, I do not. There are certain Yiddish and Hebrew poets (S.Y. Agnon in particular) who I find much more nuanced than Leonard Cohen (who has never escaped 'showbiz').
This post contains numerous signposts to my further journey, which is actually never ending, of poetic discovery, as S.Y. Agnon, although I have seen mentions and references, is a new poet to me. I like this, opening new doors even at my age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmuel_Yosef_Agnon

His works deal with the conflict between the traditional Jewish life and language and the modern world. They also attempt to recapture the fading traditions of the European shtetl (village). In a wider context, he also contributed to broadening the characteristic conception of the narrator's role in literature. Agnon shared the Nobel Prize with the poet Nelly Sachs in 1966.

Nitza Ben-Dov writes about Agnon's use of allusiveness, free-association and imaginative dream-sequences, and discusses how seemingly inconsequential events and thoughts determine the lives of his characters.
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 17:24:05 UTC
Post by George Dance
If Winter Remain, by Clark Ashton Smith
Hateful, and most abhorred,
about us the season
of sleet, of snow and of frost
reaches, and seems unending
as plains whereon
lashed prisoners go
[...]
http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2015/02/if-winter-remain-clark-ashton-smith.html
Since Corey seems to have decided to bury the other thread with his garbage, I reckon I'll move this post over here, where it will be less likely to be lost, or misplaced:

Sometimes these things just get put off for a few months, or years. Like this big list of obscure-to-lost poets I've found while looking for the relatively better known poet Frank Belknap Long, among others.

http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic/library/stacks/periodicals/weirdta/wt1923/wt1930.htm

Some short examples of poets and their poems for future searches:

Poems:
Circe..........A. Leslie
At Eventide..........Hanna Baird Campbell
Masquerade..........R. Jere Black, Jr.
Swamp Symphony..........Cristel Hastings
Marmora..........Donald Wandrei
The Crow..........Lida Wilson Turner
Sonnet of Death..........Edith Hurley
Night Terror..........Sarah Henderson Hay
Dream Strife..........Bill Crosby
Ghosts..........Jewell Bothwell Tull
Mammy, on Ghos'es..........W. K. Mashburn, Jr.
The Pirate..........R. Jere Black, Jr.
Heliodore's Beads..........Marvin Luter Hill
The Hills of Discontent..........Louis E. Thayer
Teotihuacan..........Alice I'Anson
Death..........Alice Pickard
A Dream of Bubastis..........Harvey W. Flink
The Cataleptic..........Charles Layng
Hops..........Preston Langley Hickey
The Ghost..........Mary Sharon
The Visit of the Skulls..........Leonard Fohn
Two Crows..........Francis Hard
The Suicide's Awakening..........Gertrude Wright
The Conqueror..........Adrian Pordelorrar

That's just a few of the dozens of poets who were published in Weird Tales magazine between 1923-1930, the archive of all seven years is here:

http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic/library/stacks/periodicals/weirdta/wt1923/yrmagcat.htm

There we go, now have a nice day, everyone.

:D
Hieronymous707
2015-03-01 17:28:43 UTC
Fuck you.
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 17:42:32 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
Fuck you.
No thanks.

:D

HTH & HAND.
Hieronymous707
2015-03-01 17:54:52 UTC
You don't have an option, fuckface.
Will Dockery
2015-03-01 18:22:03 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
You don't have an option, fuckface.
Talk about "some serious issues swimming around..."

:D
Hieronymous707
2015-03-01 20:44:17 UTC
What people like Dockery fail to realize
is just how much my work involves and
addresses serious issues, but of course
you can't explain anything to people like
that. They simply haven't the capacity for
understanding. Instead, they fuss at you.
Michael Pendragon
I'm sure we all agree that diarrhea is a *serious issue.*
Hieronymous707
2015-03-01 22:43:35 UTC
I'm sure you have no idea
what you're talking about.
Michael Pendragon
2015-03-01 22:52:07 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
I'm sure you have no idea
what you're talking about.
I certainly know who I'm not talking to: Corey would have gotten the pun.
Hieronymous707
2015-03-01 23:08:01 UTC
I know that you have no idea who you're talking
to, and I know that bothers you a great deal too.
Michael Pendragon
2015-03-01 23:18:49 UTC
Corey-Jeannie-Carmelita-Sybil ... it's all the same to me.
Will Dockery
2015-03-02 00:50:12 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Hieronymous707
I know that you have no idea who you're talking
to, and I know that bothers you a great deal too.
Corey-Jeannie-Carmelita-Sybil ... it's all the same to me.
Corey's father even critiqued me this morning!

:D
Hieronymous707
2015-03-02 01:20:01 UTC
No, he didn't. You're delusional.
Will Dockery
2015-03-02 05:39:40 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
No, he didn't. You're delusional.
Yeah?

Well you're wrong, as usual... just because you delete your posts doesn't mean you can get away with pretending you didn't write them.

Here was your post and my response.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/ERxF70mReJA/ifBjnr7JVSsJ

J.C.C's father critiques Will Dockery
Post by Hieronymous707
My dad is right. You've got some
serious fucking issues swimming
around in that gourd of yours.
Your father reads the newsgroup or have I met him in real life?

Do tell.

:D
--
"Remember the Princess who lived on the hill. Who loved you, even though she
knew you was wrong..?" -Lou ReedCheck out "Twilight Girl (W. Dockery & H. Conley)" -
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/17680972-twilight-girl-w-dockery--h-conley
Hieronymous707
2015-03-02 10:46:59 UTC
Not knowing what words mean is a communication issue.
Using words without knowing what they mean is another.
Will Dockery
2016-11-13 15:46:34 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Hieronymous707
I know that you have no idea who you're talking
to, and I know that bothers you a great deal too.
Corey-Jeannie-Carmelita-Sybil ... it's all the same to me.
Interesting, this reminds me, is very similar, to Stephan Pickering's
theories about Rachel's posting system.

Lest we forget those relatively recent times.
Will Dockery
Corey's idea of serious is different, since he's in the service industry.
Will Dockery
Right up there with penis and fart jokes passed off as poems.
g***@hotmail.com
2015-03-06 17:57:52 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
spewed forth an endless tirade of childish rants
(replete with false accusations, personal
insults, and preschool level name calling) into
every thread
Yes, that is why your mentor, mensageorge, invited
you to come here, am I right, creepy mike?
Michael Pendragon
No one invited me here, garytard. I've come on a mission from God.
Will Dockery
Throw on the shades, it's showtime...
Will Dockery
2016-11-25 23:09:29 UTC
No one invited me here.
I've come on a mission from God.
Well keep fighting the good fight, my friend.

:)
George Dance
Oh, no, idiot troll, I didn't invite him. I used the powers I got when I sold my soul to the Devil to compel him to come here. BWAAA-HAAA-HAAA!
g***@hotmail.com
2015-03-07 05:57:48 UTC
Post by George Dance
it's a POETRY NEWSGROUP, dumbass.
You've had another stressful week of placing books
in boxes again, haven't you?

Relax before you pop a clot.
Will Dockery
2015-03-07 09:27:26 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
Post by George Dance
it's a POETRY NEWSGROUP, dumbass.
You've had another stressful week of placing books
in boxes again, haven't you?
Relax before you pop a clot.
While you're sounding just a wee bit apeshit this morning, G.T.

:D
Hieronymous707
2015-03-07 10:35:25 UTC
Your comment reads to me like you're defending George
without any idea from whom or what you're defending him.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would think that telling
someone to relax would be seen as relatively good advice,
except that I suppose some people just don't like being told.
General Zod
2018-12-27 06:22:04 UTC
Great reading...…………...
George J. Dance
2018-12-27 06:56:08 UTC
Post by General Zod
Post by George Dance
If Winter Remain, by Clark Ashton Smith
Hateful, and most abhorred,
about us the season
of sleet, of snow and of frost
reaches, and seems unending
as plains whereon
lashed prisoners go
[...]
http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2015/02/if-winter-remain-clark-ashton-smith.html
Great reading...…………...
Hey, Zod. I've been asked to tell you (and I will, for the sake of keeping a happy, polite group here) not to post keep bumping the same few poems. So I'll do that, in a positive way, by telling you that bumps like this - of threads of old poems that I haven't read in a while, and have forgotten - are what I most like to read from you - aside from your original poems, of course. Please find and bump more of these; not all at once, of course, but as you come across them while you're reading in the group archives.

Oh, and there's that synchronicity again. I was working on Clark Ashton Smith's article yesterday.
https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Clark_Ashton_Smith
r***@gmail.com
2018-12-27 07:33:34 UTC
Post by George Dance