Astrophel and Stella by Sir Philip Sidney
Karla
2006-10-22 07:57:47 UTC
Astrophel and Stella

Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show,
That she, dear she, might take some pleasure of my pain,
Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know,
Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain,—
I sought fit words to paint the blackest face of woe;
Studying inventions fine, her wits to entertain,
Oft turning others' leaves to see if thence would flow
Some fresh and fruitful showers upon my sun-burned brain.
But words came halting forth, wanting invention's stay;
Invention, nature's child, fled step-dame Study's blows,
And others' feet still seemed but strangers in my way.
Thus, great with child to speak, and helpless in my throes,
Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite,
Fool, said my muse to me, look in thy heart and write.

Sir Philip Sidney

I'm reading Sidney again. Nifty poem.

What verse form is this?

Karla
Baba-cat, the real baba-cat
2006-10-22 13:03:13 UTC
"Karla" <***@sbcNOSPAMglobal.net> wrote in message

Apologize, FAT-idiot-kook.

You think it's funny, calling me a thief, and sending
me moronic invoices.

Fuck you, idiotfuckbrain.

Apologize.
AJ - http://ClitIn.Com e In.
(800 folders. -- kiddie-filtered -- FREE,
Usenet Porn.)
Barbara's Cat
2006-10-22 13:50:32 UTC
--
Cm~

Mousy Tom Bishop LARTed me
for "moronic harassment".
You can't see this post.
Barbara's Cat
2006-10-22 13:14:47 UTC
Post by Karla
[...]
My educated (i.e., cheated; searched my books and the web) guess:
An Elizabethan Sonnet written in either (arguable) iambic trimeter
or classical hexameter with a rhyme scheme of abababab-cdcd-ee.

Many sources show Astrophel is sometimes spelled Astrophil.

Your version above is a modernized version of what was originally
published in 1591 using Elizabethan grammar and punctuation:

*Astrophel and Stella - Sonnet I*

Louing in trueth, and fayne in verse my loue to show,
That she, deare Shee, might take som pleasure of my paine,
Pleasure might cause her reade, reading might make her know,
Knowledge might pittie winne, and pity grace obtaine,
I sought fit wordes to paint the blackest face of woe;
Studying inuentions fine, her wits to entertaine,
Oft turning others leaues, to see if thence would flow
Some fresh and fruitfull showers vpon my sun-burnd brain.
But words came halting forth, wanting Inuentions stay;
Inuention, Natures childe, fledde step-dame Studies blowes;
And others feet still seemde but strangers in my way.
Thus, great with childe to speak, and helplesse in my throwes,
Biting my trewand pen, beating myselfe for spite,
Fool, said my Muse to me, looke in thy heart, and write.

- Sir Philip Sidney (1554-1586)

Source: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~rbear/stella.html

Please, correct my errors.

[ insert "moronic harassment" here ]
Cm~
Paul Hansford
2006-10-22 19:19:38 UTC
I'd go along with hexameter, being as there are six stresses to the line
(unlike trimeter, with three).
And it's mostly iambic (de DUM, de DUM), but with enough variety to stop you
getting bored. I don't know enough about the period to say if it was a
French influence, but whereas Shakespeare (and zillions after him)
preferred the pentameter (five stresses), which seems to suit English
better, the French went in for hexameters in a big way.

Cm~
Barbara's Cat
2006-10-22 20:40:37 UTC
I believe trimeter was said because it "dominates" the rhythm:

Loving in truth, and fain | in verse my love to show,
That she, dear she, might take | some pleasure of my pain,
Pleasure might cause her read, | reading might make her know,
Knowledge might pity win, | and pity grace obtain,
I sought fit words to paint | the blackest face of woe;
Studying inventions fine, | her wits to entertain,
(etc)

A couple of sources indicated trimeter -- one I remember:
http://www.geocities.com/mackbrazelle/poem.html

I prefer to call it hexameter (why I said "arguable").
Post by Paul Hansford
And it's mostly iambic (de DUM, de DUM), but with enough variety to stop you
getting bored. I don't know enough about the period to say if it was a
French influence, but whereas Shakespeare (and zillions after him)
preferred the pentameter (five stresses), which seems to suit English
better, the French went in for hexameters in a big way.
Sidney imitated Petrarch, which the Petrarchan (or Italian)
sonnet pattern is named after, so I'd say Italian influence.

BTW, a majority of the Astrophel and Stella sonnet cycle
is written in iambic pentameter. I'll admit I haven't
read all 108 (or 110) sonnets yet and I don't know what
the exact ratio is between pentameter and hexameter,
but from my quick overview, pentameter appears majority.

Thanks for the civil reply.

You can't see this post.
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-23 11:13:21 UTC
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Paul Hansford
I'd go along with hexameter, being as there are six stresses to the line
(unlike trimeter, with three).
Loving in truth, and fain | in verse my love to show,
That she, dear she, might take | some pleasure of my pain,
Pleasure might cause her read, | reading might make her know,
Knowledge might pity win, | and pity grace obtain,
I sought fit words to paint | the blackest face of woe;
Studying inventions fine, | her wits to entertain,
(etc)
Fain in trVth, a hexameter line always has a caesura, that which you
indicate. In the Classical hex, it always has three feet (accents)
on either side of it. The pentameter also has one, but its location
varies as to having two, two-and-a-half, or three feet before it; in
rare cases one or four. Fairly regular in Classical metrics, it is
required to be varied from line to line of pentameter, as it is
rapidly strong enough if regular to divide the line into a different
heard form -- in the case, into what [you] call trimeter.
It's hexameter with caesurae.
Post by Paul Hansford
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Karla
[...]
I do not "negotiate" for half my baby back, Solomon.
http://scrawlmark.org
Baba-cat, the real baba-cat
http://scrawlmark.org
Karla
2006-10-25 07:30:07 UTC
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 06:13:21 -0500, "Dennis M. Hammes"
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Paul Hansford
[...]
The caesura in the center reminds me of skaldi! It's an interesting idea.
This poem doesn't comfortably conform with the mid-stop. Was it dem
Italians who made good use of it?

Perhaps I'll search for a sonnet of iambic octameter.

Karla
Your Sugir
2006-10-26 05:13:42 UTC

Either sue me or suck mine, fat-idiot.
Usenet Porn.)
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-26 09:42:42 UTC
Post by Your Sugir
Either sue me or suck mine, fat-idiot.
A real PO-wet would have balanced the epithet:
"Sue me or suck me..."
Puir leetle typewriter meunkey.
http://scrawlmark.org
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-26 09:41:25 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Paul Hansford
[...]
The Classical Latins, perhaps. Petrarcca (1300s) is often merely
rough to my English ear, however I suspect that we've lost some of
the old particulars of scansion to the Dark Interregnum.
Those monks transcribed Holy Poetry (which even in English is
juvenilia) and let God burn (oxidise) the rest of the Library.
Even when they weren't giving him a little help in that department.
http://scrawlmark.org
Karla
2006-10-28 23:31:19 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Paul Hansford
[...]
Aha! You use my discussion to swipe at the Catholics!

Some think that those same monks kept the sponge alive so that we can still
enjoy some good San Francisco sour dough bread.

Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle!

Oh ya, it's almost Halloween.

Karla
Pimp of the Holy Sugir
2006-10-29 02:35:39 UTC
Post by Karla
Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle!
Hey, FAT moron... did you give up on invoicing me...

You are like moron-ghetto-mikey... a blustering coward.

Enjoy: http://clitin.com/wild4.html
Usenet Porn.)
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-29 11:11:11 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Karla
The caesura in the center reminds me of skaldi! It's an interesting idea.
This poem doesn't comfortably conform with the mid-stop. Was it dem
Italians who made good use of it?
The Classical Latins, perhaps. Petrarcca (1300s) is often merely
rough to my English ear, however I suspect that we've lost some of
the old particulars of scansion to the Dark Interregnum.
Those monks transcribed Holy Poetry (which even in English is
juvenilia) and let God burn (oxidise) the rest of the Library.
Even when they weren't giving him a little help in that department.
Aha! You use my discussion to swipe at the Catholics!
I'm Authorised. I was curried for the priesthood for many years.
Post by Karla
Some think that those same monks kept the sponge alive so that we can still
enjoy some good San Francisco sour dough bread.
It's widely known that the original San Francisco Sourdough leaven
was got in 1849 by currying a prospector's ass into a swilling pan.
(They didn't specify if it was the one on the prospector or the
one on the donkey.)

The monks?
"'/Celebrate/'! He wrote '/celebrate/'!"
Post by Karla
Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle!
Every time I do that, the Bishop and his congregation whine that it
hurts their eyes.
Post by Karla
Oh ya, it's almost Halloween.
Several here started their begging early, then?
Post by Karla
Karla
http://scrawlmark.org
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-23 11:04:57 UTC
Post by Paul Hansford
I'd go along with hexameter, being as there are six stresses to the line
(unlike trimeter, with three).
And it's mostly iambic (de DUM, de DUM), but with enough variety to stop you
getting bored. I don't know enough about the period to say if it was a
French influence, but whereas Shakespeare (and zillions after him)
preferred the pentameter (five stresses), which seems to suit English
better, the French went in for hexameters in a big way.
Which causes one to wonder if the original Provencal form wasn't
often or even usually in hexameter, as Petrarch's lines often lumber
to six feet.
But his best English translators are still the (pre)Elizabethans,
who render him in pentameter. Wyatt and Drayton routinely achieve a
much lighter voice than his, or perhaps than a form of Italian that
was still heavily influenced by classical Latin.
http://scrawlmark.org
Baba-cat, the real baba-cat
http://scrawlmark.org
Karla
2006-10-25 07:24:38 UTC
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:19:38 +0100, "Paul Hansford"
Post by Paul Hansford
I'd go along with hexameter, being as there are six stresses to the line
(unlike trimeter, with three).
And it's mostly iambic (de DUM, de DUM), but with enough variety to stop you
getting bored. I don't know enough about the period to say if it was a
French influence, but whereas Shakespeare (and zillions after him)
preferred the pentameter (five stresses), which seems to suit English
better, the French went in for hexameters in a big way.
There are approximately 110 sonnets in Sidney's sonnet sequence. Some are
like this, hexameter; others are iambic pentameter. The rhyme schemes vary
also. And no, I haven't read all 110!

Karla
Cm~
Your Sugir
2006-10-26 05:12:34 UTC
"Karla" <***@sbcNOSPAMglobal.net> wrote in message

You've accused me of theft, and so make good---

YOU MORON.
Usenet Porn.)
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-27 09:32:00 UTC
me MORON.
Us know.
http://scrawlmark.org
Karla
2006-10-25 07:17:26 UTC
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:14:47 -0400, Barbara's Cat
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Karla
[...]
Thanks for typing out the 1591 version.

Finding this sonnet with its longer lines of hexameter and differing rhyme
scheme, which then sent me back to Thrall and Hibbard's "A Handbook to
Literature" where I read this descriptive phrase with respect to the
sonnet, "highly arbitrary in form", I felt hope. The sonnet was not a
frozen form. The preachers of 14 lines, iambic pentameter, this or that
rhyme scheme, are not born again! There is hope! Hope for those who have
offered us sonnets of variance, sonnets of today, the sonnet extant.
Hurray!

Karla
Your Sugir
2006-10-26 05:11:11 UTC
"Karla" <***@sbcNOSPAMglobal.net> wrote in message

Where the fuck is my apology.

You FAT moron

Remember http://clitin.com/Wild4.html
and your BIG bluster???

I'm waiting for your fat ass to sue me or something, idiot.

A simple apology would suffice...

But you are a pissant, and I will consider you such.

Better if you fucked off and died (as per peewee's crap)
Usenet Porn.)
Stuart Leichter
2006-10-26 06:11:57 UTC
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Karla
[...]
Sidney's first sonnet in the sequence makes me think of Herrick's
Argument of His Book cuz they both have 14 lines and serve as
prologues, plus Herrick's Delight in Disorder deconstructs the uppity
sonnet after all. I think the sonnet played bawdy and brilliant at its
best. Remember what Justice Potter Stewart said: "I may not be able to
define sonnet, but I know it when I see it".

http://library.findlaw.com/2003/May/15/132747.html

Stuart
Karla
Pimp of the Holy Clit
Karla
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-26 09:49:56 UTC
Post by Karla
Finding this sonnet with its longer lines of hexameter and differing rhyme
scheme, which then sent me back to Thrall and Hibbard's "A Handbook to
Literature" where I read this descriptive phrase with respect to the
sonnet, "highly arbitrary in form", I felt hope. The sonnet was not a
frozen form. The preachers of 14 lines, iambic pentameter, this or that
rhyme scheme, are not born again! There is hope! Hope for those who have
offered us sonnets of variance, sonnets of today, the sonnet extant.
Hurray!
Karla
Thank you.
(Not that I couldn't resist, I simply didn't care to.)

For those who arrived late, /Sonnets to Eurydice/ deliberately makes
use of one of every /other/ available form between each English
("Shakespearean") example.
And that's at least two more than are in the Sidney.

http://scrawlmark.org/eurydice.html

/Sonnets from Thrace/ (unavailable at the moment) are all "Spenserian."
/The Singing Head/ (all found on rap/aapc) are all "Italian."
I liked the sounds and periods better.
http://scrawlmark.org
Peter J Ross
2006-10-23 10:07:18 UTC
Post by Karla
[...]
It's a hexameter sonnet.

In Latin and Greek metrics, a line of six iambs is called a trimeter,
the iambs being counted in pairs, but these lines follow the French
convention of dividing the line into two halves, so it's better to
call them Alexandrines or hexameters.

PJR :-)
--
_ _(o)_(o)_ _ | "It's been stressful. I may lose everything I have over
._\`:_ F S M _:' \_, | this. My home, and my job." -- chuckles lysaght
,-` _) (_, F_P | <***@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
Baba-cat, the real baba-cat
2006-10-23 13:40:07 UTC
That sports a vigilante domain:

Usenet Porn.)
Barbara's Cat
2006-10-23 13:47:14 UTC
Mousy Tom "Bitter Moron" Bishop squeaked:

"I'm leaving now.
This will be my last post to Usenet groups.
Amd I won't read it either.... :)
I've thought a lot about mkey, and travelling
to MI and handle him. Fact is it sounds too boring.
Go for it, mikey.
Have a good life!
Please don't email me. Thx!"
- Mousy, bitter farewell, 21 Sep 2006
--
Cm~

Mousy Tom Bishop LARTed me
for "moronic harassment".
You can't see this post.
Karla
2006-10-25 07:37:02 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Karla
[...]
Ah yes, I hadn't thought about Alexandrines in a long time. Thrall and
Hibbard quote Pope on them:

"A needless Alexandrine ends the song,
That, like a wounded snake, drags its slow length along."

Is it Pope or someone else to blame for the 'tidying' up and eventual
constriction of the sonnet to the exacting form? Pardon my 'free the
sonnet' week. hehe

Karla
PJR :-)
Peter J Ross
2006-10-25 16:05:23 UTC
Post by Karla
Ah yes, I hadn't thought about Alexandrines in a long time. Thrall and
"A needless Alexandrine ends the song,
That, like a wounded snake, drags its slow length along."
That's not a criticism of Alexandrines in general, but of needless
ones.
Post by Karla
Is it Pope or someone else to blame for the 'tidying' up and eventual
constriction of the sonnet to the exacting form?
I don't think Pope wrote any sonnets, and I'm not aware of any writer
who prescribed rules for the sonnet. But it's silly to call poems
sonnets if they depart too far from the typical examples. There are
other terms for similar forms - the Meredithian sonnet and the
tetrameter sonnet, for instance.
Post by Karla
Pardon my 'free the sonnet' week. hehe
You should challenge RAPpers to write a sonnet that deliberately
differs from the norm.

PJR :-)
Your Sugir
2006-10-26 05:18:44 UTC
"Peter J Ross" <***@kookbusters.org> wrote in message

This one:
http://mikeys-famous-pics.blogspot.com/

See his moronic vigilante domain.

Ask the moron who he has kookbusted.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

He sucks the ghetto-moron.
Usenet Porn.)
Karla
2006-10-28 23:33:31 UTC
Post by Karla
Pardon my 'free the sonnet' week. hehe
You should challenge RAPpers to write a sonnet that deliberately
differs from the norm.
Wouldn't it be great to have people willing to post poetry to usenet again,
to participate in poetry discussion? The streets are littered with kooks
and kookbusters these days, I tell ya.

Karla
PJR :-)
Pimp of the Holy Sugir
2006-10-29 02:45:51 UTC
Post by Karla
Wouldn't it be great to have people willing to post poetry to usenet again,
Wow... I just posted a villanelle, kook.
When did you ever write one, idiot.

(OK, I can't spell gnat)
Post by Karla
to participate in poetry discussion?
As if you had a thing to offer but your FAT-ASS.
Post by Karla
The streets are littered with kooks
and kookbusters these days, I tell ya.
O FUCK... You are talking to one of the few holdouts on mikey's kook domain.
...but you can't read any better than I can spell...

peewee hosted mikey's harassment picture for over a year.
Idiots like you turned it into a homo-joke.

You asked for it FAT-IDIOT.
Enjoy, moron: http://clitin.com/wild4.html

Take it down, burpwad. I'd love to sue your fat pants off.
File a DCMA letter to my ISP (godaddy.com)...
OOOOOeeee baby...
AJ - http://ClitIn.Com e In.
(800 folders. -- kiddie-filtered -- FREE,
Usenet Porn.)
Post by Karla
Karla
PJR :-)
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-29 11:15:28 UTC
Post by Pimp of the Holy Sugir
Post by Karla
Wouldn't it be great to have people willing to post poetry to usenet again,
Wow... I just posted a villanelle, kook.
He did, too.
Post by Pimp of the Holy Sugir
(OK, I can't spell gnat)
He couldn't, either.
http://scrawlmark.org
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-29 11:14:10 UTC
Post by Karla
Wouldn't it be great to have people willing to post poetry to usenet again,
to participate in poetry discussion? The streets are littered with kooks
and kookbusters these days, I tell ya.
What? "Poetry is distinguished by High Moral Tone and Majestic
Presence"?
http://scrawlmark.org
Renay

Renay
Pimp of the Holy Sugir
2006-10-29 18:37:54 UTC
But renayspam, you are a kook-troll.

FAT-karla has accused me of theft.
I hope she manages a DCMA letter soon.

Be nice if mikey-moron would steal pictures some more
for sexual harassment.

Heck... some poetry-porn posts would also be nice.
Renay
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-30 12:26:05 UTC
Post by Pimp of the Holy Sugir
But renayspam, you are a kook-troll.
FAT-karla has accused me of theft.
I hope she manages a DCMA letter soon.
Be nice if mikey-moron would steal pictures some more
for sexual harassment.
Heck... some poetry-porn posts would also be nice.
There was an old Bishop whose porn
Left his palm with a hideous corn,
Which shortened his lance
As it lengthened his pants
For his wearing the already-worn.
http://scrawlmark.org
Karla
2006-10-29 21:43:21 UTC
Post by Renay
Post by Karla
Wouldn't it be great to have people willing to post poetry to usenet again,
to participate in poetry discussion? The streets are littered with kooks
and kookbusters these days, I tell ya.
Karla
testify, sistah!
Renay
I expect (har) you to be posting some very moving poems right around the
third or fourth month, sister!

Love ya (hand-over-mouth-smooooooooooooooch)

Karla
Dennis M. Hammes
http://scrawlmark.org
Renay
2006-10-30 15:17:08 UTC
Post by Karla
Post by Renay
Post by Karla
Wouldn't it be great to have people willing to post poetry to usenet again,
to participate in poetry discussion? The streets are littered with kooks
and kookbusters these days, I tell ya.
Karla
testify, sistah!
Renay
I expect (har) you to be posting some very moving poems right around the
third or fourth month, sister!
how about the last week of March?

ah, the modern age. they'll give you
an exact date now and make sure you
keep it.

right now the writing is too close. I know
there's the eeeeemotion argument. me, I'd
rather read something well thought and well
edited than waste my time on someone's
feeeeelings. lately what I've had on paper
is too much feeling and not nearly enough
attention to the work. blech.

either I toss it all in a box and go back later
to see if anything is worth saving or I scrap
it all until I'm more detached.
Post by Karla
Love ya (hand-over-mouth-smooooooooooooooch)
misty water coloured m e e e e mor ies... ;)

backatcha!

Renay
Pimp of the Holy Sugir
2006-10-30 18:59:45 UTC
Post by Renay
Post by Karla
Post by Renay
Post by Karla
Wouldn't it be great to have people willing to post poetry to usenet again,
to participate in poetry discussion? The streets are littered with kooks
and kookbusters these days, I tell ya.
Karla
testify, sistah!
Renay
I expect (har) you to be posting some very moving poems right around the
third or fourth month, sister!
how about the last week of March?
Forget it, troll... I wouldn't read your crap with binoculars.
Usenet Porn.)
Will-Dockery
2024-05-05 17:45:24 UTC
Post by Karla
Astrophel and Stell
[...]

Interesting poetry from Sir Phillip Sidney

This is a response to the post seen at
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=658615435#65861543

Your Sugir
2006-10-26 05:15:07 UTC
"Karla" <***@sbcNOSPAMglobal.net> wrote in message

If you don't sue me --- suck my dick, moron.

OOOOOO... You are a FAT idiot.
Usenet Porn.)
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-26 09:59:48 UTC
Post by Karla
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Karla
[...]
Actually, it's largely Sidney, and Wyatt, Drayton, and Surrey half a
generation earlier.
Half a generation later, Shakespeare used a single form to depart
from Classical, even contemporary, conventions and make it bite the
very contemporary dust.
Pope is almost a century and a Period (early Neoclassical) younger
than Surrey.
http://scrawlmark.org
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-23 10:37:34 UTC
Post by Karla
[...]
/A&S/ contains examples of all the sonnet forms extant in English
today save two. He also experimented with lines other than pentameter.
I expect the Alexandrine sounds rather lighter to one accustomed
to the Greek classics than it does to us, but even so, the lines
"drag their slow lengths along" with the weight of the subject
project, as the voice tends, or at least tries, to read them as heavy
pentameters rather than as hexameters.
http://scrawlmark.org
Baba-cat, the real baba-cat

http://scrawlmark.org
Barbara's Cat

You can't see this post.
c***@my-deja.com
2006-10-26 09:55:05 UTC
Post by Barbara's Cat
I'm leaving now
hurray
Barbara's Cat
2006-10-26 21:37:17 UTC
Post by c***@my-deja.com
hurray
circlesuck
--
Cm~

Mousy Tom Bishop LARTed me
for "moronic harassment".
You can't see this post.
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-24 08:47:01 UTC
Post by Baba-cat, the real baba-cat
Total failure as a poet.
Tsk. Your being a total failure as a reader doesn't even make Alex
Pope a total failure as a poet.
http://scrawlmark.org
Baba-cat, the real baba-cat
2006-10-24 22:38:15 UTC
Post by Baba-cat, the real baba-cat
Total failure as a poet.
Tsk. Your being a total failure as a reader doesn't even make Alex Pope a total failure as a poet.
At this point in history ...
"Total failure as a poet." belongs to you.

My read, and critique of Pope --- wasn't bad.
(and nothing but a Usenet post)

Just /funny/ to idiots like you that devoted themselves
to reading worm-shit.
http://scrawlmark.org
Stuart Leichter
2006-10-23 17:43:03 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Karla
[...]
Sidney's lines exemplified what C.S. Lewis called "Golden" poetry,
which he contrasted against the "Drab" poetry of Wyatt and Surrey.

The lines "drag their slow lengths along" since Sidney hadn't mastered
touch-typing. Early in their career The Beatles often relied on the
Dexedrine line.
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-24 09:00:07 UTC
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Karla
[...]
Wyatt, "drab"?
I find Wyatt to be routinely "better" than the other two (at least
in the translations of Petrarcca and their own sonnets), however
Drayton on a tear can beat 'em all with his peaks.
But in what ordinates?
Lewis prolly wants to indicate "mundane," i.e., touching the
Earth, which is not known for its Golden Streets. /A&S/ is
necessarily, perhaps merely conventionally, flightier than that, and
Surrey often uses the religious voice and metaphor when better are
available even to him.
Lewis seems to have had only one yardstick, the religious.
Post by Stuart Leichter
The lines "drag their slow lengths along" since Sidney hadn't mastered
touch-typing. Early in their career The Beatles often relied on the
Dexedrine line.
"Early"?
And though he did not invent the form (Sherlock Holmes is said to
have dabbled in it almost a century earlier), Keith Richards became
known for the paired lines called "cocains."
http://scrawlmark.org
Baba-cat, the real baba-cat
2006-10-24 22:34:59 UTC
You are a wormfarmer, no?

Poetry was a failure for you?

AKA: you are an imbecile that failed. :)
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
http://scrawlmark.org
Karla
2006-10-25 07:50:39 UTC
Post by Stuart Leichter
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Karla
[...]
There's a sonnet still simmering:

In My Life

There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed;
Some forever, not for better,
Some have gone and some remain.
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall,
Some are dead and some are living -
In my life, I've loved them all.
But of all these friends and lovers,
There is no one compares with you.
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new.
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before,
I know I'll often stop and think about them,
In my life, I'll love you more.

Lennon/McCartney
Your Sugir
2006-10-26 05:27:07 UTC
"Karla" <***@sbcNOSPAMglobal.net> wrote in message

You think you will dance (FAT-dance) away from it
you pissant.

Fuck-all: http://clitin.com/Wild4.html still stands.

You are a moron.

...although I've always liked http://clitin.com/Wild11.wmv
better than your shit. But then you never were a poet.
Usenet Porn.)
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-27 09:37:23 UTC
I never were a poet.
We knowed.
http://scrawlmark.org
Karla
2006-10-25 07:39:17 UTC
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 05:37:34 -0500, "Dennis M. Hammes"
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Karla
[...]
You dragged out Pope!

At least in this first poem of the sonnet sequence, I didn't notice a
dragging or weight. It seemed to serve the project.

Karla
Your Sugir
2006-10-26 05:56:33 UTC
"Karla" <***@sbcNOSPAMglobal.net> wrote in message

Apologize before you go --
for being an idiot.

Reference: http://clitin.com/Wild4.html

Fat-turd.
Usenet Porn.)
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-26 10:08:49 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Karla
[...]
The lines don't drag as Alexandrines, however they drag with respect
to pentameter, which was Pope's point.
This first sonnet is primarily about the /project/ of writing the
sequence, with the whole weight of the thing lying ahead of him.
Or most of it; there's nothing to prove that he /wrote/ it first.
The intro/dedication to the /Eurydice/, e.g., was written rather
after #60, when I could dare believe I even /had/ a "project" as
opposed to two prior deep belches.
Unable to get away with Alexandrines in 1985, I loaded the thing
with Thomas' long vowels and even longer periods.
http://scrawlmark.org
Barbara's Cat
2006-10-28 17:25:23 UTC
Post by Karla
[...]
<trollish comment>

A week has passed and none of the
Bleating "We are the Chosen Ones" Circlesuckers
have commented on the poem above.

Go figure.

</trollish comment>
--
Cm~

Mousy Tom Bishop LARTed me
for "moronic harassment".
You can't see this post.
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-29 11:18:17 UTC
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Karla
[...]
They're still busy squalling about why somebody's sestina doesn't
have Permission to be classified as a PO-wem.
(It's all the Socialist Fondling takes up their time, though.)

WO.
KCCM just reminded me to spring back, or fall down, or summin.
Set your clocks, kids.
http://scrawlmark.org
Barbara's Cat
2006-10-29 11:56:43 UTC
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
KCCM just reminded me to spring back, or fall down, or summin.
Set your clocks, kids.
The bedroom and kitchen clocks
let Boulder WWB do that for us.

Damn! I love technology!
--
Cm~

Mousy Tom Bishop LARTed me
for "moronic harassment".
You can't see this post.
Dennis M. Hammes
2006-10-30 12:33:33 UTC
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
KCCM just reminded me to spring back, or fall down, or summin.
Set your clocks, kids.
The bedroom and kitchen clocks
let Boulder WWB do that for us.
WWV. I'd hate to be the poor schlock in /that/ broadcast booth.
"The time at the tone will be 2:21 a.m., beep, beep, beep, beep,
beeeep... the time at the tone will be 2:21:30 a.m., beep, beep,
beep, beep, beeeep..."
Post by Barbara's Cat
Damn! I love technology!
??? Takes a wheelbarrow to haul out his cigarette butts.