Rondeau / c&c / PJR
Peter J Ross
2003-10-28 03:04:08 UTC

2003-10-28 11:01:33 UTC
Put in the following way:

See me smile and count my teeth,
grey and crooked, like the grave
you'll soon be in babe, and
move to Hove
and build a bathchair architrave.
Deny, deny awhile the truth and
see me smile.

connects I think better into a verse, especially cause of the incoming 'O'.
plastyrheumic bathchair architrave - clever words strategically placed, nice.
Don't know if the "I'll" shortened has any voice impact but visually is pleasing (I guess).

Weird free forming Peter, but I bet I know what will make you smile:

Imagine the waitress in front of you bending over to pick up the squashed Guinness can.
Waitresses do this in line of duty, but I betch y'a the best'll have a look between the legs ;)

I wonder if I still had that miserable old poem of mine (bent moment or something), hehehe.

Thourn Whaul
ȼǻ
---
Peter J Ross
2003-10-29 23:28:58 UTC
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:01:33 +0100 (CET), Tarapia Tapioco wrote in
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Peter J Ross
See me smile and count my teeth,
grey and crooked, like the grave
you'll soon be in, babe. Move to Hove
and build a bathchair architrave.
Deny, deny awhile the truth and
see me smile.
O plastyrheumic fooling earth
so sure there's unicorns to save!
I know what truffle-hunting's worth,
and I'll not
and I'll not let
and I'll not let you
see me smile.
PJR, 28 Oct 2003
See me smile and count my teeth,
grey and crooked, like the grave
you'll soon be in babe, and
move to Hove
and build a bathchair architrave.
Deny, deny awhile the truth and
see me smile.
connects I think better into a verse, especially cause of the incoming 'O'.
The connection with the rondeau form is too remote for me.
Post by Peter J Ross
plastyrheumic bathchair architrave - clever words strategically placed, nice.
Don't know if the "I'll" shortened has any voice impact but visually is pleasing (I guess).
I wanted "I'll not" rather than "I won't" or "I shan't" or "I will
not" or "I shall not", because I wanted yet another ambiguity, in this
case between "shall" (futurity) and "will" (intention).

The whole thing is based on the song (of which I forget the title)
which includes the lines "I'm in heaven / when you smile", recorded
originally by Dexy's Midnight Runners and covered by Van Morrison.
That was the bit of grit in the oyster, but it may be undetectable
even in this earlyish draft.
Post by Peter J Ross
Imagine the waitress in front of you bending over to pick up the squashed Guinness can.
Waitresses do this in line of duty, but I betch y'a the best'll have a look between the legs ;)
Given a choice between an average waitress and an average can of
Guinness, I think I'd go for the Guinness, but you specified that the
can was empty, so...
Post by Peter J Ross
I wonder if I still had that miserable old poem of mine (bent moment or something), hehehe.
Yes, do post poems. You're not one of the useless people,. in my
opinion.

And thanks for comenting.
--
PJR :-)
mhm34x8
Usenet Valhalla (Circle Three)
Alcatroll Labs Inc. (Executive Vice-President)
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Dennis M. Hammes
2003-10-28 11:27:50 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
See me smile and count my teeth,
grey and crooked, like the grave
you'll soon be in, babe. Move to Hove
and build a bathchair architrave.
Deny, deny awhile the truth and
see me smile.
O plastyrheumic fooling earth
so sure there's unicorns to save!
I know what truffle-hunting's worth,
and I'll not
and I'll not let
and I'll not let you
see me smile.
PJR, 28 Oct 2003
Sweeney meets the nightingale. But it sort of works anyway.
--
-------(m+
~/:o)_|
http://scrawlmark.org
Peter J Ross
2003-10-29 23:34:27 UTC
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:27:50 GMT, Dennis M. Hammes wrote in
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
Post by Peter J Ross
See me smile and count my teeth,
grey and crooked, like the grave
you'll soon be in, babe. Move to Hove
and build a bathchair architrave.
Deny, deny awhile the truth and
see me smile.
O plastyrheumic fooling earth
so sure there's unicorns to save!
I know what truffle-hunting's worth,
and I'll not
and I'll not let
and I'll not let you
see me smile.
PJR, 28 Oct 2003
Sweeney meets the nightingale.
Yep. It's impossible to escape from Sweeney, who is 20th Century Man.
I had Kevin Rowland and John Betjemen in mind, too.
Post by Dennis M. Hammes
But it sort of works anyway.
Incoherence = Modernism, I suppose. But I think this is instantly
forgettable light verse, really. I'll probably use "plastyrheumic" in
my forthcoming nose-job epic, but the rest is pretty crappy.

Thanks for commenting.
--
PJR :-)
mhm34x8
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Will-Dockery
2024-05-03 13:35:28 UTC
Post by Peter J Ross
See me smile and count my teeth
grey and crooked, like the grav
you'll soon be in, babe. Move to Hov
and build a bathchair architrave
Deny, deny awhile the truth an
see me smile
O plastyrheumic fooling eart
so sure there's unicorns to save
I know what truffle-hunting's worth
and I'll no
and I'll not le
and I'll not let yo
see me smile
PJR, 28 Oct 200
A really good PJR poem from the archives

This is a response to the post seen at
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=657948164#65794816