The Immortal Words Of Woody Guthrie [quote of the day]
Will Dockery
2003-07-24 06:49:37 UTC
Thanks for that, Will Dockery. I thought you were supposed to be a troll?
That was a good post.
Bill
Nope. I'm not a Troll. I've loved this quote since I first heard a bit
of it read by Will Geer on the Guthrie tribute record, way back when.
Dockery

http://willdockery0.tripod.com
On 16/7/03 12:58 pm, in article
The Immortal Words Of Woody Guthrie
"I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. I hate a
song that makes you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose.
No good to nobody. No good for nothing. Because you are too old or too
young or too fat or too slim or too ugly or too this or too that. Songs
that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard
traveling. I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath of air
and my last drop of blood. I am out to sing songs that will prove to you
that this is your world and that if it has hit you pretty hard and
knocked you for a dozen loops, no matter what color, what size you are,
how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride
in yourself and in your work. And the songs that I sing are made up for
the most part by all sorts of folks just about like you. I could hire
out to the other side, the big money side, and get several dollars every
week just to quit singing my own kind of songs and to sing the kind that
knock you down still farther and the ones that poke fun at you even more
and the ones that make you think you ve not got any sense at all. But I
decided a long time ago that I d starve to death before I d sing any
such songs as that. The radio waves and your movies and your jukeboxes
and your songbooks are already loaded down and running over with such no
good songs as that anyhow.
Woody Guthrie
1912-1967
Will Dockery
2003-07-24 06:55:21 UTC
Woody wrote many things...................
This land is your Land
was the most important to me
Linda
He was one of the best, and a direct link to the Beats, in my opinion.

1912-1967
Ironywaves
1912-1967
bogus address
2003-11-18 08:03:39 UTC
"I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. I hate
a song that makes you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to
lose. No good to nobody. No good for nothing. Because you are too old
or too young or too fat or too slim or too ugly or too this or too that.
Songs that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck
or hard traveling. I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath
of air and my last drop of blood.
Someday I would like to know what on earth the songs Guthrie had in
mind with that quote actually were. Apart from misogynistic pieces
(women not being a category he mentions) and "The Smith's a Gallant
Fireman" (kinda like the "Bob Roberts" soundtrack but from 150 years
before) I can think of nothing that fits.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.
Steven
How is not mentioning women as a category misogynistic?
Mark Covello
2003-11-20 19:03:57 UTC
Post by bogus address
Someday I would like to know what on earth the songs Guthrie had in
mind with that quote actually were. Apart from misogynistic pieces
(women not being a category he mentions) and "The Smith's a Gallant
Fireman" (kinda like the "Bob Roberts" soundtrack but from 150 years
before) I can think of nothing that fits.
My memory is that, preferatory to this quote, Woody mentions being on a boat
headed for Europe during WWII when a song called, "Born to Lose," came over
the loudspeaker, He was astonished that such sentiments would be expressed
to a bunch of men who were being asked to risk their lives for their
country.

Mark
Ironywaves
2003-11-20 19:38:03 UTC
Post by Mark Covello
Post by bogus address
Someday I would like to know what on earth the songs Guthrie had in
mind with that quote actually were. Apart from misogynistic pieces
(women not being a category he mentions) and "The Smith's a Gallant
Fireman" (kinda like the "Bob Roberts" soundtrack but from 150 years
before) I can think of nothing that fits.
My memory is that, preferatory to this quote, Woody mentions being on a boat
headed for Europe during WWII when a song called, "Born to Lose," came over
the loudspeaker, He was astonished that such sentiments would be expressed
to a bunch of men who were being asked to risk their lives for their
country.
Mark
And as far as I can tell, not having been there, of course, Woody loved
women.
Will

http://www.amber-kaye.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 12:21:32 UTC
[...]
Well that's a timeless quote that is appropriate for any era, and anyone.
--
Check out "Gone Too Far / Will Dockery ^ The Shadowville All-Stars -
http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/11596860
g***@hotmail.com
2014-08-06 19:33:39 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Well that's a timeless quote that is appropriate for any era, and anyone.
Ah, but you really think it's all about you.

You attempt to bask in the reflected glory of your heroes, and end up
looking like the narcissistic douchebag that you are.

What a fucking loser you are.
Hieronymous707
2014-08-06 20:01:22 UTC
What the flock is wrong with you?
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 20:36:50 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
You attempt to bask in the reflected glory of your heroes, and end up
looking like the narcissistic douchebag that you are.
What a fucking loser you are.
Speaking of "losers", your statements are pretty amusing and ironic since you're the anonymous troll who doesn't seem to have done anything so far but post these jealous whines.

It must really suck to be you... heh.
Hieronymous707
2014-08-06 20:41:30 UTC
"I've known Will as a writer and poet for more than a dozen years but
only made the serious mistake of attending one of his performances
with the Shadowville Allstars in March of 2011 when I attended an
event in Seale Alabama called the Doo-Nanny. It was there that I was
struck by one of these so called "Flying Saucers" he repairs. His
talents are modest at best. He can get the damn things to fly alright,
but once they're up in the air there's no telling which way they're
headed. One caught me right in the noggin. Still smarts a might. Can't
wait to get back there and tell him what for."
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 20:48:42 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
"I've known Will as a writer and poet for more than a dozen years but
only made the serious mistake of attending one of his performances
with the Shadowville All-Stars in March of 2011 when I attended an
event in Seale Alabama called the Doo-Nanny. It was there that I was
struck by one of these so called "Flying Saucers" he repairs. His
talents are modest at best. He can get the damn things to fly alright,
but once they're up in the air there's no telling which way they're
headed. One caught me right in the noggin. Still smarts a might. Can't
wait to get back there and tell him what for."
Again, thanks!

Your efforts are truly appreciated!
g***@hotmail.com
2014-08-06 20:42:59 UTC
What a fucking loser you are.
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 20:47:16 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
What a fucking loser you are.
And you've won... what?
g***@hotmail.com
2014-08-06 20:49:49 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
And you've won... what?
It sounds like you're getting angry again.
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 20:52:50 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
It sounds like you're getting angry again.
You flatter yourself again... heh.
g***@hotmail.com
2014-08-06 20:58:13 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
flatter yourself
Well, I guess you must, since no one else will.
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 21:01:05 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
flatter yourself
Well, I guess you must, since no one else will.
You seem confused, Gen.

I wrote that /you/ flatter yourself.

Try to keep up.
g***@hotmail.com
2014-08-06 21:12:28 UTC
You seem confused,
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 21:22:59 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
You seem confused
No, not at all.
Will Dockery
2014-08-09 13:59:10 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
flatter yourself
Well, I guess you must, since no one else will.
Not at all, I usually just tell it like it is and let others sort out what it means to them, such as:

Junk Fest with Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars... we look forward to making their #Junkfest debut on September 27th! Check out "Gone Too Far / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars" - Video filmed at the World AIDS Day Benefit Concert at CSU Cunningham Center.

http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/video/12955011
Hieronymous707
2014-08-06 20:53:08 UTC
If you are such a loser as to ask him what he won,
then it stands to reason that you must be a stupid loser.
I'd ask you why you're a stupid loser, but I doubt you know.
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 20:58:42 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
ask him what he won
It is, as you say, a "show, don't tell" thing.

He's an anonymous troll and you can't scream "I'm a loser!" any louder than that, here.
Hieronymous707
2014-08-06 21:07:12 UTC
Just because you don't know who it is doesn't mean they're anonymous.
Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it senseless.
Just because you're a pitiful loser now doesn't mean you can't change.
Okay, maybe that one's a stretch, but you can hope. We do live in hope.
Will Dockery
2014-08-06 21:09:27 UTC
Post by Hieronymous707
Just because you don't know who it is doesn't mean they're anonymous.
Why doesn't it?

Just because you think you know who the anonymous poster is doesn't mean you actually know.
Check out "Twilight Girl / (W. Dockery & H. Conley)" - http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/17680972-twilight-girl-w-dockery--h-conley
g***@hotmail.com
2014-08-06 21:13:22 UTC
"I'm a loser!"
[...]