Jim Morrison's poetry
2003-10-29 00:03:08 UTC
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will

http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
The Maiden
2003-10-29 01:18:55 UTC
as I have found the most awesome sig quote from this page. thank you
Will(-:

Moment of inner freedom
when the mind is opened and the
infinite universe revealed
& the soul is left to wander
dazed & confus'd searching
here & there for teachers & friends.
JM

_________________________________
http://community.webtv.net/Ice_Crystals_/Maiden
Ironywaves
2003-10-29 02:00:59 UTC
Post by The Maiden
as I have found the most awesome sig quote from this page. thank you
Moment of inner freedom
when the mind is opened and the
infinite universe revealed
& the soul is left to wander
dazed & confus'd searching
here & there for teachers & friends.
JM
_________________________________
http://community.webtv.net/Ice_Crystals_/Maiden
Jim Morrison... a poet and a man! All hail the American night!
Will
Nothing V
2003-10-29 07:51:04 UTC
In article <***@corp.supernews.com>, ***@knology.net
says...
Post by Ironywaves
Post by The Maiden
as I have found the most awesome sig quote from this page. thank you
Moment of inner freedom
when the mind is opened and the
infinite universe revealed
& the soul is left to wander
dazed & confus'd searching
here & there for teachers & friends.
JM
_________________________________
http://community.webtv.net/Ice_Crystals_/Maiden
Jim Morrison... a poet and a man! All hail the American night!
Will
Im going to open myself up to ridicule here, but I know that a lot of
people think Morrison's poetry was mediocre (at best). However, IMO he
is under-rated & gets dismissed quickly because of his rock-star image.
I think a lot of his poetry is very powerful.
--
Nothing V

There are no free people, only slaves who
have more privileges than others.
--Christopher S Hyatt,PhD
The Maiden
2003-10-29 11:23:49 UTC
Im going to open myself up to ridicule here, but I know that a lot of
people think Morrison's poetry was mediocre (at best). However, IMO he
is under-rated & gets dismissed quickly because of his rock-star image.
I think a lot of his poetry is very powerful.
--
Nothing V

Jim Morrison was a poet by all means. Wether others want to see him for
less is by all means their right, but those who see him for who he truly
was, see him not as the drunkard staggering around with whiskey bottle
in hand, we see him with microphone in hand singing or preaching his
words. And though his mind staggered into the realm of death and the
spirit world [alot]. . that did not make him any less of a poet. He
was/[is] a rock god and those who choose to belittle his spirit and
poetry are just jealous because he made [massive] money, and got
hot-sex every night. what more could a poet ask for than life in the
light of the otherside??? Jim M. is a spiritual mojo!!
CWill
____________________________

________________________________

Ironywaves
2003-10-29 13:09:05 UTC
Post by Nothing V
says...
Post by Ironywaves
Post by The Maiden
[...]
the wasp (texas radio and the big beat)

i wanna tell you 'bout texas radio and the big beat
comes out of the virginia swamps
cool and slow with plenty of precision
with a back beat narrow and hard to master

some call it heavenly in it's brilliance
others, mean and rueful of the western dream
i love the friends i have gathered together on this thin raft
we have constructed pyramids in honor of our escaping
this is the land where the pharaoh died

the negroes in the forest brightly feathered
they are saying, "forget the night.
live with us in forests of azure.
out here on the perimeter there are no stars
out here we is stoned - immaculate."

listen to this, and i'll tell you 'bout the heartache
i'll tell you 'bout the heartache and the loss of god
i'll tell you 'bout the hopeless night
the meager food for souls forgot
i'll tell you 'bout the maiden with raw iron soul

i'll tell you this
no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

i'll tell you 'bout texas radio and the big beat
soft drivin', slow and mad, like some new language

now, listen to this, and i'll tell you 'bout the texas
i'll tell you 'bout the texas radio
i'll tell you 'bout the hopeless night
wandering the western dream
tell you 'bout the maiden with raw iron soul

-Jim Morrison.

Everybody's most likely seen this countless times... I woke up on this cold
bright morning... and I got myself a coffee. And wanted to throw this on for
the great American madman poet. The Roadhouse is closed for repairs, word
is, it'll be back in operation soon.
Will
Dale Houstman
2003-10-29 15:46:22 UTC
Post by Nothing V
Im going to open myself up to ridicule here, but I know that a lot of
people think Morrison's poetry was mediocre (at best). However, IMO he
is under-rated & gets dismissed quickly because of his rock-star image.
I think a lot of his poetry is very powerful.
There's no arguing with taste, but I think his poetry is far beneath
mediocre. His metaphors are weak, his attitude usually overbearingly
artificial and mystical in the worse sense of the word, and his images
tend to be rather run of the mill (i.e. the endless shallow
identifcations with Indians and "shamans" that are as uninformed and
banal as the usual 60s mentality). He's a sort of a poseur in that
regard, and I suspect that he came to know that; this partly explains
his running off the Paris to reinvent himself: itself a rather tedious
cliche at that time.

His "Rock-star image" has little to do with it: his poetry would styand
on its own if it had legs. Leonard Cohen is in a similar situation (he -
like Jim - considered himself a poet before he was a recording artist),
but his written work stands up somewhat better, and he seems much less
besotted with his own image.

Jim - in a way - was trying too hard to be Blake and Rimbaud all rolled
up in a beer-soaked medicine blanket. He trades in "epic" visions he
hasn't earned the right to, and - like many (myself included at one
time) he seems far too enamored of the "poetic myth" of Rimbaud's life
(the drugs, the rambling, the disdain, etc.) to really search out the
whys and wherefors of Ribaud's actual accomplishment: being an
accomplished poet in his teens, and inventing modernism by merely
passing through the barriers of his time with real insight. Jim was in
rebellion (who wasn't then) but he was more out of the Brando image in
"The Wild One": rebelling but inarticulate about what he was precisely
fighting against. In Jim's case, it seemed to be mainly alcoholism.

dmh
Nothing V
2003-10-29 16:13:13 UTC
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Nothing V
[...]
<snipped>

II
Great screaming Christ
Upsy-daisy
Lazy Mary will you get up
upon a Sunday morning

"The movie will being in 5 moments"
The mindless Voice announced
"All those unseated, will await
The next show"

We filed slowly, languidly
into the hall. The auditorium
was vast, & silent.
As we seated & were darkened
The Voice continued:

"The program for this evening
is not new. You have seen
This entertainment thru & thru.
You've seen your birth, your
life & death; you might recall
all of the rest -- (did you
have a good world when you
died?) -- enough to base
a movie on?"

--Jim Morrison, An American Prayer

You dont like that?

--Christopher S Hyatt,PhD
Ironywaves
2003-10-29 16:33:06 UTC
Post by Nothing V
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Nothing V
[...]
Yeah, I like it quite a lot! *grin*
Will
Ironywaves
2003-10-29 16:28:13 UTC
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Nothing V
[...]
Yeah:

"What are you rebelling against?"

"What have you got?"
cythera
2003-10-29 21:11:45 UTC
Nothing V <***@coxnospam.net> wrote in message news:<***@news.central.cox.net>...

[...]
Post by Nothing V
Im going to open myself up to ridicule here, but I know that a lot of
people think Morrison's poetry was mediocre (at best). However, IMO he
is under-rated & gets dismissed quickly because of his rock-star image.
I think a lot of his poetry is very powerful.
"porky satyr": phrase written by Jim to describe Brian Jones. A+.
(but note it is a phrase, not a poem)

"riders on the storm": phrase written by Hart Crane.
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 07:10:08 UTC
Post by cythera
[...]
Post by Nothing V
Im going to open myself up to ridicule here, but I know that a lot of
people think Morrison's poetry was mediocre (at best). However, IMO he
is under-rated & gets dismissed quickly because of his rock-star image.
I think a lot of his poetry is very powerful.
"porky satyr": phrase written by Jim to describe Brian Jones. A+.
(but note it is a phrase, not a poem)
"riders on the storm": phrase written by Hart Crane.
I can remember the first time I heard "Riders on The Storm", way back in
1969 or so, riding in the backseat of my dad's Plymouth Satelite [electric
blue] on a dark night, returning to Shadowville from Virginia.

It sounded almost perfect. I knew that I wasn't going to be a comic book
writer/artist. I knew I was born to be a poet.
Will

http://willdockery0.tripod.com/
Renay St. James
2003-10-29 01:28:20 UTC
*****you came across a good SIZED collection of Jim Morrison's poetry.

Renay
Ironywaves
2003-10-29 01:33:03 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
*****you came across a good SIZED collection of Jim Morrison's poetry.
Renay
Yeah, that too. Btw... I played with "Sweet Dark Memories" a bit a few
minutes ago... have a look it you get time...
Will

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/dockery
Dennis M. Hammes
2003-10-29 11:33:30 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
*****you came across a good SIZED collection of Jim Morrison's poetry.
Renay
His /what/?
--
-------(m+
~/:o)_|
http://scrawlmark.org
themissinglink
2003-10-29 09:03:21 UTC
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
Truly wonderful post and contribution....
It behooves us to be reminded of his awesome and tormented brilliance.
The Matrix had nothing on him.

Salutations and love to you Jim, my beloved brother and friend, knight
of the woeful countenance, dear Hamlet, rest now and rejoice in your
portion.

Your greatful little sister, Link
Nothing V
2003-10-29 15:10:53 UTC
Post by themissinglink
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
Truly wonderful post and contribution....
It behooves us to be reminded of his awesome and tormented brilliance.
The Matrix had nothing on him.
Speaking of the Matrix (Reloaded). I watched that horrible, ridiculous
crap the other night. Who writes that sort of pseudo-philosophical
garbage & gets away w/it? Whoever he/she is, he/she should be tarred &
feathered. I couldnt stop laughing at the retarded dialogue, in between
being bored out of my skull w/all that digitally enhanced fighting & all
those fucking Ray-Bans. Damn,that shit was stupid. & I even quite liked
the first one.

--Christopher S Hyatt,PhD
Ironywaves
2003-10-29 15:43:04 UTC
Post by Nothing V
Post by themissinglink
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I haven't seen either, but from the raving descriptions of a couple of
friends, different people about each of the two films, I could tell it
wasn't for me... I just don't get into "pseudo-philosophical
Post by Nothing V
garbage"
I like real stuff, be it pseudo, philosophical, or garbage... but I like it
real, in plain English.
Will
Nothing V
2003-10-29 15:56:40 UTC
Post by Nothing V
garbage"
I like real stuff, be it pseudo, philosophical, or garbage... but I like it
real, in plain English.
Will
Oh, its plain alright. Plain & stupid. I honestly couldnt believe what
they were saying. I was embarrassed for them. Thats how awful it was.

--Christopher S Hyatt,PhD
themissinglink
2003-10-29 22:26:41 UTC
Post by Nothing V
Post by themissinglink
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
Truly wonderful post and contribution....
It behooves us to be reminded of his awesome and tormented brilliance.
The Matrix had nothing on him.
Speaking of the Matrix (Reloaded). I watched that horrible, ridiculous
crap the other night. Who writes that sort of pseudo-philosophical
garbage & gets away w/it? Whoever he/she is, he/she should be tarred &
feathered. I couldnt stop laughing at the retarded dialogue, in between
being bored out of my skull w/all that digitally enhanced fighting & all
those fucking Ray-Bans. Damn,that shit was stupid. & I even quite liked
the first one.
Agreed. They better damn well redeem it as a setup and joke with the
third one, or it was a total take-over and bird flipped to all.
Sophomoric. Period.

Jim's Matrix was truer and far deeper. gg
Dale Houstman
2003-10-29 14:53:45 UTC
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
There is no such thing as a "good" collection of Jim's "poetry." He's an
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one published
collection (it was the 60s and I was probably high at the time!), and
within weeks it had aged into vinegar with little pieces of snake shit
floating around in it. As a lyricist he had more than a few good
moments, but as a poet not one.

dmh
Renay St. James
2003-10-29 15:05:35 UTC
*****what Dale said. apparently I was too subtle in my reply.

Renay
Ironywaves
2003-10-29 15:19:24 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
There is no such thing as a "good" collection of Jim's "poetry." He's an
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one published
collection (it was the 60s and I was probably high at the time!), and
within weeks it had aged into vinegar with little pieces of snake shit
floating around in it. As a lyricist he had more than a few good
moments, but as a poet not one.
dmh
Well, I think I'd keel over dead straightaway if you responded in any other
way, Dennis. You can only honestly speak for yourself, your opinion.

There's at least two collections of Morrison poetry out now, and a really
interesting paperback [I have it out in the shed, when I get it here, I'll
pull some quotes from it] by this guy that compares Morrison with Rimbaud.
Opinions can go in wildly different directions.
Post by Renay St. James
*****what Dale said. apparently I was too subtle in my reply.
Renay
The "just shoot me in the head" line might work here, right, Renay? *grin*
Will
Nothing V
2003-10-29 15:43:20 UTC
Post by Ironywaves
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
There is no such thing as a "good" collection of Jim's "poetry." He's an
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one published
collection (it was the 60s and I was probably high at the time!), and
within weeks it had aged into vinegar with little pieces of snake shit
floating around in it. As a lyricist he had more than a few good
moments, but as a poet not one.
dmh
Well, I think I'd keel over dead straightaway if you responded in any other
way, Dennis. You can only honestly speak for yourself, your opinion.
Thats pretty much what I was going to say - that its subjective.
Obviously some of you people on the poetry newsgroups spend a lot more
time analyzing & dissecting & criticizing it than most people do. What
is the criteria used to determine whether a poem is "good" or "bad"? I
suppose my view of it is rather simplistic. I either like it or I dont.
I cant really describe *why* I like it sometimes, I just know that I
like it. How the words flow together or a feeling that I get from it,
etc.
Post by Ironywaves
There's at least two collections of Morrison poetry out now, and a really
interesting paperback [I have it out in the shed, when I get it here, I'll
pull some quotes from it] by this guy that compares Morrison with Rimbaud.
Opinions can go in wildly different directions.
My favourite poets include some of the Beats, Rimbaud, & Baudelaire. I
love Ferlinghetti. Anyway, the book youre talking about is by a scholar
at Duke by the name of Fowlie. The book is called "Rimbaud & Jim
Morrison". Its been awhile since Ive read it, but I rememeber it being
very good.

--Christopher S Hyatt,PhD
Ironywaves
2003-10-29 16:13:16 UTC
Post by Nothing V
says...
Post by Ironywaves
Post by Ironywaves
There's at least two collections of Morrison poetry out now, and a really
interesting paperback [I have it out in the shed, when I get it here, I'll
pull some quotes from it] by this guy that compares Morrison with Rimbaud.
Opinions can go in wildly different directions.
My favourite poets include some of the Beats, Rimbaud, & Baudelaire. I
love Ferlinghetti. Anyway, the book youre talking about is by a scholar
at Duke by the name of Fowlie. The book is called "Rimbaud & Jim
Morrison". Its been awhile since Ive read it, but I rememeber it being
very good.
--
Nothing V
There are no free people, only slaves who
have more privileges than others.
--Christopher S Hyatt,PhD
Yeah, that's the book! He goes into some really interesting stuff, apart
from writing about either Rimbaud or Morrison directly, but going into the
particular "type" of poet both of these guys were... really good section on
the thin line between being a poet and a clown. I want to go diectly to the
book, since its been a couple of years since I read it, but one goes sort of
like this:

The clown is in the tent, in front of the audience of faces. He wishes he
were part of that crowd, instead of on stage, a clown. He cuts open the
tent, escapes, jumps in a river and swims away. Coming back onto dry land,
his clown makeup has washed off, and he's like the other faces in the crowd.
he wants his makeup back. Fowlie compares the clown to the poet... the poet
[some of us, anyhow] risks making a fool of himself, stands apart... and
loves/hates it. But in the end, he'll do it all over again.

That doesn't really cover it at all as well as Fowlie, but that's very
basically some of the things he explores. There's a lot more to poetry than
knowing all your iambics and and meters and all that... the poem comes from
the heart and mind... and if there's no inspiration, your poem will be a
well-crafted, but empty, shell.

I'm going to Google Fowlie and see what emerges...

themissinglink
2003-10-29 22:33:48 UTC
Post by Ironywaves
Post by Ironywaves
The clown is in the tent, in front of the audience of faces. He wishes he
were part of that crowd, instead of on stage, a clown. He cuts open the
tent, escapes, jumps in a river and swims away. Coming back onto dry land,
his clown makeup has washed off, and he's like the other faces in the crowd.
he wants his makeup back. Fowlie compares the clown to the poet... the poet
[some of us, anyhow] risks making a fool of himself, stands apart... and
loves/hates it. But in the end, he'll do it all over again.
Will
http://www.angelfire.com/al2/dockery
Yeah, Jim considered himself an iconaclastic clown, entwined in his
multi-dimensional persona. Link.
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 06:58:57 UTC
Post by themissinglink
Post by Ironywaves
Post by Ironywaves
The clown is in the tent, in front of the audience of faces. He wishes he
were part of that crowd, instead of on stage, a clown. He cuts open the
tent, escapes, jumps in a river and swims away. Coming back onto dry land,
his clown makeup has washed off, and he's like the other faces in the crowd.
he wants his makeup back. Fowlie compares the clown to the poet... the poet
[some of us, anyhow] risks making a fool of himself, stands apart... and
loves/hates it. But in the end, he'll do it all over again.
Will
http://www.angelfire.com/al2/dockery
Yeah, Jim considered himself an iconaclastic clown, entwined in his
multi-dimensional persona. Link.
He was a fearless poet... who left us way too soon.

j r sherman
2003-10-29 17:10:58 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
There is no such thing as a "good" collection of Jim's "poetry." He's an
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one published
collection (it was the 60s and I was probably high at the time!), and
within weeks it had aged into vinegar with little pieces of snake shit
floating around in it. As a lyricist he had more than a few good
moments, but as a poet not one.
dmh
*****what Dale said. apparently I was too subtle in my reply.
Renay
the comical glorification of Jim Morrison, has always amused me. Morrison is
perhaps the American personification of "style" over any measurable talent or
substance, marketing over concrete achievements, the male forerunner of Madonna.

and that's just his musical career. as a poet he was just awful. it does not
surprise me in the slightest that dockery is such a big fan. they produce the
same kind of work: bad.

and i have to disagree with Dale. Morrison as a lyricist has dated just as badly
as his poetry. christ, Lou Reed's lyrics from the 60s are still as fresh as the
day he wrote them, and Lou was so strung out on drugs during that whole era that
he could barely remember his own name.

i think one could name 100 better, more creative artists than Jim Morrison, and
that's without even trying.

i think most everyone likes Morrison when they're young. but everyone's pretty
stupid when they're young too.

love and kisses,

j r sherman

"A sad tale's best for winter: I have one
Of sprites and goblins."
Renay St. James
2003-10-29 18:33:48 UTC
Post by j r sherman
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
*****been there. done that. had the t-shirt that read "Morrison Lives"
omg...bleeeeeeeeeeeech! from the copious (it's an adjective, Chuckles.
means "abundant." ah, shit. "abundant" is an adjective. it means
"bountiful"
DAMMIT. "bountiful" is....just think of them as "lotsa" k?) amounts I've
read,
I think there may be five (or less) I'd consider reading again. I
understand
he was mezmerizing on stage...when he was there and wanted to be. the
tapes I've seen don't support this, however. yeah, he was a hottie...then
he
was a bloated-oldie (you still with us, Chuckles?) I'm sure he was a
shocking
counterculture icon in the day. so was Marilyn Manson...five years ago.
who made Morrison more famous, his fans or their parents who "just didn't
*get* him, maaaaaan?" he weren't no John R. Cash. he weren't no Bob
Dylan. he weren't even no Dwight Yoakam. but the leather pants were good!

Renay
Swampfetus
2003-10-29 19:40:13 UTC
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one published
<snip>

I realize its on-topic & all, but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry; Its been diiscussed ad
nauseum. You're arguing taste & aren't going to come to any sort of
agreement on the matter so nip it in the goddam bud right now. Thank you.

---
Dave
The Maiden
2003-10-29 19:57:46 UTC
I realize its on-topic & all, but do me a favor & get the fuck out of
here with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry; Its been diiscussed
ad nauseum. You're arguing taste & aren't going to come to any sort of
agreement on the matter so nip it in the goddam bud right now. Thank
you.
---
Dave
_______________________
Hi Dave, I don't know if you've ever been to alt.arts.poetry.comments??
If you have or haven't is rather irrelevant, but to let you know if this
is anything like I've seen in their, than you can just pray that this
will be the end my friend, because these people like to carry a thread
up until it kills /itself/ ..its not really about Jim (or the Doors) at
all. It's about poetry and their in(s)ane arguing. and that's about all.

________________________________

Ironywaves
2003-10-29 21:14:56 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all, but do me a favor & get the fuck out of
here with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry; Its been diiscussed
ad nauseum. You're arguing taste & aren't going to come to any sort of
agreement on the matter so nip it in the goddam bud right now. Thank you.
---
Dave
_______________________
Hi Dave, I don't know if you've ever been to alt.arts.poetry.comments??
If you have or haven't is rather irrelevant, but to let you know if this
is anything like I've seen in their, than you can just pray that this
will be the end my friend, because these people like to carry a thread
up until it kills /itself/ ..its not really about Jim (or the Doors) at
all. It's about poetry and their in(s)ane arguing. and that's about all.
And their intolerant ideas on what is amd is not poetry. A bunch of
xchoolyard bullies. My instinct is to fight bullies. So here we go.
Will
_______________________________
j r sherman
2003-10-29 20:01:51 UTC
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one
published
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Post by Dale Houstman
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane? and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction, of course, but none the less, who are you?
Post by Dale Houstman
Its been diiscussed ad nauseum.
the truth can ALWAYS be discussed, even ad nauseumer.
Post by Dale Houstman
You're arguing taste
well, you Doorites can discuss taste all ya want. we're discussing ability. as a
poet Morrison had none. it's two completely different topics.

BUT, since it's on-topic, we can talk about it! see?
Post by Dale Houstman
& aren't going to come to any sort of agreement on the matter
this is not true. most people who have read any poetry pretty much agree that
Morrison's poetry is really crap.

but ya know, you're free to prove us wrong.

you can't, of course. but you're free too.

that's what's great about Usenet.
Post by Dale Houstman
so nip it in the goddam bud right now. Thank you.
i don't believe i like your attitude, sir. i think i shall do exactly as i
please, thank you.

and you have exactly two options: a) ignore it. b) foolishly respond.

ignoring it is the better response, i assure you, but hey, it's a semi-free
usenet.

but, that's another great thing about usenet, you have those options!

love and kisses,

j r sherman

p.s. before ya get all huffy, send an email to the idiot dockery. he's the guy
who cross posted to your newsgroup.

but, hey, now that the door's open (heh), we can have some fun!
Post by Dale Houstman
---
Dave
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-29 20:46:31 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:01:51 -0800, j r sherman
Post by j r sherman
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one
published
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
We always stay on topic!
That's what the topic for, isn't it, to stand on.
Post by j r sherman
Post by Dale Houstman
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here with these inane arguments
about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane? and who are you to tell anyone what they
can do? i am amused by your reaction, of course, but none the less, who
are you?
Seems top be a kind of control freak at first sight.
Post by j r sherman
Post by Dale Houstman
Its been diiscussed ad nauseum.
the truth can ALWAYS be discussed, even ad nauseumer.
His respons was rather nauseating.
Post by Dale Houstman
so nip it in the goddam bud right now. Thank you.
i don't believe i like your attitude, sir. i think i shall do exactly as i
please, thank you.
I don't like his attitude either, it demands for a LART.
Post by j r sherman
and you have exactly two options: a) ignore it. b) foolishly respond.
ignoring it is the better response, i assure you, but hey, it's a
semi-free usenet.
but, that's another great thing about usenet, you have those options!
love and kisses,
j r sherman
p.s. before ya get all huffy, send an email to the idiot dockery. he's the
guy who cross posted to your newsgroup.
but, hey, now that the door's open (heh), we can have some fun!
Post by Dale Houstman
---
Dave
------------------------------------------------------------------ "A sad
tale's best for winter: I have one Of sprites and goblins."
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 01:03:04 UTC
Post by j r sherman
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one
published
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
We always stay on topic!
That's what the topic for, isn't it, to stand on.
And if we *changed* the topic to something like "Jim Morrison couldn't
write his way out of a wet paper bag", we'd change the subject line
accordingly. It's not as if we're *trolls*, after all!
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Usenet Valhalla (Circle Three)
Alcatroll Labs Inc. (Executive Vice-President)
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-30 01:54:56 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:03:04 +0000, Peter J Ross
Post by j r sherman
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one
published
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
We always stay on topic!
That's what the topic for, isn't it, to stand on.
And if we *changed* the topic to something like "Jim Morrison couldn't
write his way out of a wet paper bag", we'd change the subject line
accordingly. It's not as if we're *trolls*, after all!
No certainly not!

But the total ignorants would always come up with some displaced remarks
as if "we were trolls".

Now, once and for all.

We declare solemnly: "We Are No Trolls"

Is that clear for everyone?

OkBye let's get on.
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 04:34:18 UTC
Post by j r sherman
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one
published
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
We always stay on topic!
That's what the topic for, isn't it, to stand on.
And if we *changed* the topic to something like "Jim Morrison couldn't
write his way out of a wet paper bag", we'd change the subject line
accordingly. It's not as if we're *trolls*, after all!
No certainly not!
But the total ignorants would always come up with some displaced remarks
as if "we were trolls".
Now, once and for all.
We declare solemnly: "We Are No Trolls"
Is that clear for everyone?
OkBye let's get on.
Yes, we are GOOD PEOPLE who always post ON TOPIC. For instance, we'd
certainly never accuse JIM MORRISON of being A GAY CORNHOLING FAGGOT
in a thread such as this one.
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
j r sherman
2003-10-30 01:58:19 UTC
Post by j r sherman
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one
published
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
We always stay on topic!
That's what the topic for, isn't it, to stand on.
And if we *changed* the topic to something like "Jim Morrison couldn't
write his way out of a wet paper bag", we'd change the subject line
accordingly. It's not as if we're *trolls*, after all!
Paris the thought, Sir Ross! we are the essence of "on-topic".

Swampfetus
2003-10-29 20:52:01 UTC
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction
Easily amused, aren't you, Skippy?
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.

---
Dave
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-29 22:00:25 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:52:01 -0500, Swampfetus
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here with these inane arguments
about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
You must be new at flaming, using classical clichés like that.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction
Easily amused, aren't you, Skippy?
Unlike you, obviously.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.
Oh, look, Heisenberg just invented the "spell lame", how original.

[alt.flame added, just for the fun of it]
Post by Swampfetus
---
Dave
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Swampfetus
2003-10-29 22:13:34 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here with these inane arguments
about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
You must be new at flaming, using classical clichés like that.
The truth is not a viewpoint. Prove me wrong.
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction
Easily amused, aren't you, Skippy?
Unlike you, obviously.
Right. I am not easily amused.
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.
Oh, look, Heisenberg just invented the "spell lame", how original.
Not original, granted, but pay close attention to it. Its an example of the
truth.

----

Dave
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-29 22:24:54 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:13:34 -0500, Swampfetus
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here with these inane
arguments
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
You must be new at flaming, using classical clichés like that.
The truth is not a viewpoint. Prove me wrong.
Gödel in the '30s already proved that there are different kinds of logic,
look that up before bothering me with your education.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction
Easily amused, aren't you, Skippy?
Unlike you, obviously.
Right. I am not easily amused.
You don't imagine we care, do you?
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.
Oh, look, Heisenberg just invented the "spell lame", how original.
Not original, granted, but pay close attention to it. Its an example of
the truth.
And of what do you think you are an example?
Post by Swampfetus
----
Dave
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Swampfetus
2003-10-29 23:28:52 UTC
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
The truth is not a viewpoint. Prove me wrong.
Gödel in the '30s already proved that there are different kinds of logic,
look that up before bothering me with your education.
Since when was logic synonymous with truth? Logic can be faulty, the truth
is undeniable.

---
Dave
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-30 01:36:47 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:28:52 -0500, Swampfetus
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
The truth is not a viewpoint. Prove me wrong.
Gödel in the '30s already proved that there are different kinds of
logic, look that up before bothering me with your education.
Since when was logic synonymous with truth? Logic can be faulty, the truth
is undeniable.
Are you some Mohammed prohpet kind of preaching from your grotto, or do you have some
rational insight?
Post by Swampfetus
---
Dave
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
y***@yahoo.com
2003-10-30 03:53:58 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here with these inane
arguments
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
You must be new at flaming, using classical clichés like that.
The truth is not a viewpoint. Prove me wrong.
Gödel in the '30s already proved that there are different kinds of logic,
look that up before bothering me with your education.
plonkaston, logic is not your strength, is that why you seek
alternatives?
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction
Easily amused, aren't you, Skippy?
Unlike you, obviously.
Right. I am not easily amused.
You don't imagine we care, do you?
that's just some dumass cliquish dabian. you are not well connected as
you wish to be.

ying
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
----
Dave
j r sherman
2003-10-29 21:49:44 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
i think not. you've made me decide to stay. so now you are to blame.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
why so pissy, dave?
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction
Easily amused, aren't you, Skippy?
by the chronically stupid, yes.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.
i was in hurry.

but i think you've answered my question. you are nobody to worry about, but you
are someone to fuck with!

as my friend Pete Ross says: god just brings em' to us!

Swampfetus
2003-10-29 22:30:31 UTC
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
i think not. you've made me decide to stay. so now you are to blame.
Whatever. You'll leave soon enough. I'm not worried.
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
why so pissy, dave?
Ignorant people piss me off, Sherm.
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction
Easily amused, aren't you, Skippy?
by the chronically stupid, yes.
That's how it goes with the chronically retarded.
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.
i was in hurry.
Slow down. It makes you look even stupider than you really are. And you
don't need the help.
Post by j r sherman
but i think you've answered my question. you are nobody to worry about, but you
are someone to fuck with!
Bring it on, rookie.
Post by j r sherman
as my friend Pete Ross says: god just brings em' to us!
Which explains why there are so many ignorant fucks in the poetry
newsgroups.

---
Dave
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-29 22:51:23 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:30:31 -0500, Swampfetus
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
i think not. you've made me decide to stay. so now you are to blame.
Whatever. You'll leave soon enough. I'm not worried.
AS if we cared if you're worried or not.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here with these inane
arguments about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
why so pissy, dave?
Ignorant people piss me off, Sherm.
They are getting you jealous because they jeopardize your idiocy.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.
i was in hurry.
Slow down. It makes you look even stupider than you really are. And you
don't need the help.
Unlike you.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
but i think you've answered my question. you are nobody to worry about,
but you
Post by j r sherman
are someone to fuck with!
Bring it on, rookie.
Post by j r sherman
as my friend Pete Ross says: god just brings em' to us!
It's raining kooks!
Post by Swampfetus
---
Dave
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
j r sherman
2003-10-30 02:24:55 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
i think not. you've made me decide to stay. so now you are to blame.
Whatever. You'll leave soon enough. I'm not worried.
you possess such deep concerns.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
why so pissy, dave?
Ignorant people piss me off, Sherm.
are you not then angry at yourself?

but seriously, i have a question. you call yourself "Swampfetus", correct? might
i gather that you live in an American burb somewhere(at home still?)? more than
likely far from a maddening urban environment, but perhaps constantly dressed
like Eminem? and when amongst friends you speak in this hilarious
mongoloid-ghetto-wish-you-were kind of speech that makes others around you
laugh?

and: complete with skateboard, of course.

sorry to change the subject, but i was curious.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction
Easily amused, aren't you, Skippy?
by the chronically stupid, yes.
That's how it goes with the chronically retarded.
you're not very good at this, dave. i also note, from reading some of your other
posts, that you use the word "lame" a lot.

you DO realize, i hope, that in the world of usenet, over-use of the word "lame"
in a post is tantamount to raising a white flag and publicly admitting you are
unable to keep up with the discussion, don't you?

i am only trying to be most helpful.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.
i was in hurry.
Slow down. It makes you look even stupider than you really are. And you
don't need the help.
how old are you, dave?
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
but i think you've answered my question. you are nobody to worry about,
but you
Post by j r sherman
are someone to fuck with!
Bring it on, rookie.
heh. okay, you ARE amusing to me. please stay around for awhile, would you?
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
as my friend Pete Ross says: god just brings em' to us!
Which explains why there are so many ignorant fucks in the poetry
newsgroups.
i like the Doctor's comment from another post: "it's rainin' Kooks!"

it's like Babymash around, but i don't have to break the Blood Holy Oath. as
long as you're not from New Zealand, of course.

Ironywaves
2003-10-30 07:02:34 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane?
When simple-minded little jerkoffs like you got it in your pea-brained
little heads that truth was a viewpoint.
why so pissy, dave?
Ignorant people piss me off, Sherm.
He's more fun to laugh at, Dave.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
of course, but none the less, who are you?
"nonetheless" is one word, Einstein.
i was in hurry.
Slow down. It makes you look even stupider than you really are. And you
don't need the help.
But why in God's name won't he post a poem... even JRS isn't *that* stupid.
He writes on the subway, he claims... but never posts here. When will you
post a poem, JRS?
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
but i think you've answered my question. you are nobody to worry about,
but you
Post by j r sherman
are someone to fuck with!
Bring it on, rookie.
Post by j r sherman
as my friend Pete Ross says: god just brings em' to us!
Which explains why there are so many ignorant fucks in the poetry
newsgroups.
---
Dave
It's looking better, these days...

Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 01:05:06 UTC
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:52:01 -0500, Swampfetus wrote in
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHA!!!!!!!!

Xposts added.

Fresh meat, chaps!
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Swampfetus
2003-10-30 01:17:16 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHA!!!!!!!!
Xposts added.
Fresh meat, chaps!
Yeah, Pete, I got some fresh meat for you. All you gotta do is beg for it.

---
Dave
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-30 02:02:12 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:17:16 -0500, Swampfetus
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHA!!!!!!!!
Xposts added.
Fresh meat, chaps!
Yeah, Pete, I got some fresh meat for you. All you gotta do is beg for it.
Oh My Gracious Godd, you don't know what happened to you the right moment
you respondend to a PJR post. It is the equivalent of having bought a
Lernhout & Houspie stock in 2000. You're Usenet reputation will be ruined.

Your grand children will dance on your grave, singing "He, he-he, he-he,
JPR was smarter than you, he, he-he, he-he, thanks to you we'll liven in
shame, he, he-he, he-he", or something like that.
Post by Swampfetus
---
Dave the not so smart
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 04:36:39 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHA!!!!!!!!
Xposts added.
Fresh meat, chaps!
Yeah, Pete, I got some fresh meat for you. All you gotta do is beg for it.
Oh My Gracious Godd, you don't know what happened to you the right moment
you respondend to a PJR post. It is the equivalent of having bought a
Lernhout & Houspie stock in 2000. You're Usenet reputation will be ruined.
Your grand children will dance on your grave, singing "He, he-he, he-he,
JPR was smarter than you, he, he-he, he-he, thanks to you we'll liven in
shame, he, he-he, he-he", or something like that.
<gilbert&sullivan>
I've got a little list
he's added to my list
they'll none of them be missed
</gilbert&sullivan>
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-30 01:56:39 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:05:06 +0000, Peter J Ross
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Swampfetus
Post by j r sherman
Post by Swampfetus
I realize its on-topic & all,
EXCELLENT! we strive to stay on topic.
Fine. Now strive to stop posting on this newsgroup.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHA!!!!!!!!
Xposts added.
Fresh meat, chaps!
The number of kook seems to be related to the Dow Jones, or am I reading
too much alt.astrology
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Renay St. James
2003-10-29 20:55:35 UTC
Post by j r sherman
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry;
when did the truth become inane? and who are you to tell anyone what they can
do? i am amused by your reaction, of course, but none the less, who are you?
*****obviously a friend and fan of "Jim."
you know he's a friend and fan cuz he
calls him "Jim." that always gives it away.
Post by Dale Houstman
so nip it in the goddam bud right now. Thank you.
i don't believe i like your attitude, sir. i think i shall do exactly as i
please, thank you.
and you have exactly two options: a) ignore it. b) foolishly respond.
ignoring it is the better response, i assure you, but hey, it's a semi-free
usenet.
*****pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! you
don't want to ignore it. really, you don't. you want to respond,
right? you KNOW you do.

Renay
(we're gonna need a bigger boat!)
Renay St. James
2003-10-29 20:51:30 UTC
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one
published
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all, but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry; Its been diiscussed ad
nauseum. You're arguing taste & aren't going to come to any sort of
agreement on the matter so nip it in the goddam bud right now. Thank you.
---
Dave
*****look, you attention-seeking little shitbag, do *me*
a favor and shut the fuck up before I end up exposing
you as the ignorant, pimply faced geek that you are IRL
to the rest of the 'net at large. mommy is in a pissy mood
today, let's not make it any worse for ourselves than we
already have, eh?

Renay
(I'll nip yer goddam bud, pal)
Swampfetus
2003-10-29 20:58:44 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
*****look, you attention-seeking little shitbag, do *me*
a favor and shut the fuck up before I end up exposing
you as the ignorant, pimply faced geek that you are IRL
to the rest of the 'net at large. mommy is in a pissy mood
today, let's not make it any worse for ourselves than we
already have, eh?
Renay
(I'll nip yer goddam bud, pal)
Not getting any, huh? Go figure.

---
Dave
y***@yahoo.com
2003-10-29 23:31:01 UTC
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one
published
<snip>
I realize its on-topic & all, but do me a favor & get the fuck out of here
with these inane arguments about Jim's poetry; Its been diiscussed ad
nauseum. You're arguing taste & aren't going to come to any sort of
agreement on the matter so nip it in the goddam bud right now. Thank you.
---
Dave
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid

ying
Swampfetus
2003-10-30 00:10:54 UTC
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.

A few words about Jim's poetry:

While I like The Doors & do admire Jim as an artist, I'm not much of a fan
of his poetry. Some of it I like, some of it I don't. At times his poetry
can evoke beautiful, powerful images & feelings; other times he's
self-indulgent, juvenile, & every so often, ugly. But that was Jim. He may
not be the most highly praised poet around, but you have to give him a pat
on the back for the effort. The guy may have been inconsistent, but he *was*
capable of some pretty good stuff, not only as a poet but as a lyricist.

That said, its pointless to argue whether or not he was "good" or "bad."
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but opinion is not fact. Hate him or love
him, doesn't matter. But for every person who says he was a bad poet,
there's someone who says he wasn't. As I said, poetry (or art in general) is
a matter of individual taste. For example, I hate The Grateful Dead, & when
I listen to their music I think they're awful. But there's about a million
deadheads who say otherwise...& who am I to argue?
I can't very well prove that they're a bad band any more than someone can
prove Jim was a bad poet. Blanket statements do not apply when evaluating an
individual artist.

---
Dave
Renay St. James
2003-10-30 00:40:29 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?

<snip>

Renay
Swampfetus
2003-10-30 00:51:56 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?
<snip>
Since you no longer have anything meaningful to say, does this mean you'll
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.

----
Dave
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-30 02:04:16 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:51:56 -0500, Swampfetus
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?
<snip>
Since you no longer have anything meaningful to say, does this mean you'll
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
Why don't you follow your "idol's" example and have a nice suicide?
Post by Swampfetus
----
Dave
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Swampfetus
2003-10-30 02:24:22 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?
<snip>
Since you no longer have anything meaningful to say, does this mean you'll
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
Why don't you follow your "idol's" example and have a nice suicide?
That's it? That's the best you could come up with, Fuckenstein, the idol
bit? You were doing *so* good, man. I mean, just when I thought I was going
to have to put some real effort into this flame war, you go & say something
incredibly unimaginative. Thanks, you're making it easy on me.

---
Dave
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-30 03:31:01 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:24:22 -0500, Swampfetus
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
Why don't you follow your "idol's" example and have a nice suicide?
That's it? That's the best you could come up with, Fuckenstein, the idol
bit? You were doing *so* good, man. I mean, just when I thought I was
going to have to put some real effort into this flame war, you go & say
something incredibly unimaginative. Thanks, you're making it easy on me.
Yeah, man, yeah. Right fine, we're th' gangstas of Usenet, babe, kack wif
finger, Right fine man, haf some dope, will right fine yo' down, man, keep
Right fine man, gangstas wont hoof it down like this, man, as enny fool
kin plainly see. Yo' pow'ful suck at moosic man, yer doesn't dig eminem,
man, right fine man, right fine, gits th' fuck outta yo' man, believe me,
man, got a joint thar, man, gotta believe it man, right fine, right fine.
Hey, but thass a peekoolyar thin' on over theire, how come yer car has got
no wheels, but yer bungalow does? Yer not one of them Trashville
inhabitants agin ! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah
hide!! Fry mah hide!????
Post by Swampfetus
---
Dave
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 04:41:17 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Dr. Flonkenstein
Post by Swampfetus
[...]
Now I know why you got Usenet's first alt.genius.* group!

Beautiful!
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Renay St. James
2003-10-30 02:36:53 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?
<snip>
Since you no longer have anything meaningful to say, does this mean you'll
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
*****not bloody likely! for the record, MY name was on top
of the others when you replied. I saw you first, dammit.
they're all gonna have a go at you, of course, but just
remember, I SAW YOU FIRST! btw, do you or have you
ever lived in Florida, been a bike messener/member of the
Screaming Eagles, or had a girlfriend with an air compressor?

Renay
(do I have to hike my leg on him or anything now?)
Swampfetus
2003-10-30 02:58:52 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?
<snip>
Since you no longer have anything meaningful to say, does this mean you'll
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
*****not bloody likely! for the record, MY name was on top
of the others when you replied. I saw you first, dammit.
they're all gonna have a go at you, of course, but just
remember, I SAW YOU FIRST! btw, do you or have you
ever lived in Florida, been a bike messener/member of the
Screaming Eagles, or had a girlfriend with an air compressor?
I'm not sure what this means. Could you elaborate? I live in Florida, but I
have no idea what a "messener" is, nor am I familiar with the Screaming
Eagles. I'll leave the air compressor thing alone. I'm certain I don't want
to know what *that* means.
Post by Renay St. James
Renay
(do I have to hike my leg on him or anything now?)
The mutt has to go pee-pee. And she wants to do it in public. Wonderful.

---
Dave
Barbara's Cat
2003-10-30 03:16:16 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Renay St. James
Renay
(do I have to hike my leg on him or anything now?)
The mutt has to go pee-pee. And she wants to do it in public. Wonderful.
---
Dave
Man, you're NOT helping me with my statement to Renay.

So, where do you live in Florida? Jacksonville perhaps?

-- Cm~
Renay St. James
2003-10-30 03:17:41 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
*****not bloody likely! for the record, MY name was on top
of the others when you replied. I saw you first, dammit.
they're all gonna have a go at you, of course, but just
remember, I SAW YOU FIRST! btw, do you or have you
ever lived in Florida, been a bike messener/member of the
Screaming Eagles, or had a girlfriend with an air compressor?
I'm not sure what this means. Could you elaborate? I live in Florida, but I
have no idea what a "messener" is, nor am I familiar with the Screaming
Eagles. I'll leave the air compressor thing alone. I'm certain I don't want
to know what *that* means.
*****you're not lying about Florida, are you? don't tease me now!
if you insist on typo flames, we're gonna have more work to do
that I first thought. messenGer. *sigh* what did I expect from a
Friend and Fan of Jim.

Renay
Dave
Beau Blue
2003-10-30 04:04:10 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
to know what *that* means.
*****you're not lying about Florida, are you? don't tease me now!
if you insist on typo flames, we're gonna have more work to do
that I first thought. messenGer. *sigh* what did I expect from a
Friend and Fan of Jim.
Renay
You're being too hard on him. He shows promise. How
many others are able to sculpt an idol from 30 year old lizard shit
while living in Florida? Not many, I bet. Give him some time.

Besides he's already said he agrees with you.

" [morrison's] self-indulgent, juvenile, ... ugly."
-swampfetus

What more could you want?

-blue
The Maiden
2003-10-30 05:05:34 UTC
(in remembrance of Jim Morrisons poetry, dedicated to Mr. Morrison /and/
his poetry)
______________________
when will it end
I think so deeply <sigh>
in death we all die
befriend the afterlife
for all salutable things
must die <weep> <cry>
only until we seek death
will we know the lie
life is a lie dammit
and I know
<sigh>
life ..is.. death
and
death ..is.. life
The End
throw the mic
"thank you!"
pass out on stage
die

________________________________

ggamble
2003-10-30 05:31:47 UTC
Post by The Maiden
[...]
I swear, if you contact the International Library of Poetry and submit
this wonderful poem, that they will publish it!
For sure!
You should be able to Google the ILP.
Good luck!
The Maiden
2003-10-30 05:59:34 UTC
ggam777
Post by ggamble
I swear, if you contact
the International Library of Poetry
and submit this wonderful poem,
that they will publish it!
For sure!
You should be able to Google the ILP.
Good luck!
If I wasn't laughing so hard at the indians I think I /would/ send it to
them just to get the cd-version of this /wonder/ous poem!! (I wouldn't
be amazed that they wouldn't send me my paperwork [right away!!] and Jim
would be -so- *proud!* (ahh) *wink* May I give /you/ credit for
inspiring me to send this as a freewill offering??(-:

Peace!
Crystal

________________________________

Ironywaves
2003-10-30 08:13:42 UTC
Post by The Maiden
ggam777
Post by ggamble
I swear, if you contact
the International Library of Poetry
and submit this wonderful poem,
that they will publish it!
For sure!
You should be able to Google the ILP.
Good luck!
If I wasn't laughing so hard at the indians I think I /would/ send it to
them just to get the cd-version of this /wonder/ous poem!! (I wouldn't
be amazed that they wouldn't send me my paperwork [right away!!] and Jim
would be -so- *proud!* (ahh) *wink* May I give /you/ credit for
Peace!
Crystal
That could be fun..!
Will
_______________________________
Horatio
2003-10-30 06:02:07 UTC
Post by The Maiden
(in remembrance of Jim Morrisons poetry, dedicated to Mr. Morrison /and/
his poetry)
______________________
when will it end
I think so deeply <sigh>
in death we all die
is this an example of a truism?

-H

2003-10-30 04:47:09 UTC
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:58:52 -0500, Swampfetus wrote in
Post by Swampfetus
I live in Florida,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 05:23:05 UTC
Usenet Valhalla (Circle Three)
Alcatroll Labs Inc. (Executive Vice-President)
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
I wanna live in Florida!

Renay St. James
2003-10-30 11:44:51 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
I live in Florida,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
KA-CHING!

Renay
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Barbara's Cat
2003-10-30 03:05:36 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?
<snip>
Since you no longer have anything meaningful to say, does this mean you'll
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
*****not bloody likely! for the record, MY name was on top
of the others when you replied. I saw you first, dammit.
they're all gonna have a go at you, of course, but just
remember, I SAW YOU FIRST! btw, do you or have you
ever lived in Florida, been a bike messener/member of the
Screaming Eagles, or had a girlfriend with an air compressor?
Renay
(do I have to hike my leg on him or anything now?)
Ah come on, Renay, please don't make it sound like the whole damned
state of Florida is full of nothing but idiots.

Now if you had said 'have you ever lived in Jacksonville,' I could
totally back you on that one because that part of Florida is considered
'the armpit' and is known to harbor a plagiarist who rides a bicycle
and owns an air compressor enhanced girlfriend (after blowing 3 whole
paychecks to get her).

-- Cm~
Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 04:54:33 UTC
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 03:05:36 GMT, Barbara's Cat wrote in
Post by Barbara's Cat
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
[...]
We know. Nobody is blaming you for having to live in Stupidland. Heck,
there are probably some intelligent people even in Jacksonville. They
have to *pretend* to be stupid to avoid being lynched, of course.

Just remember that our Florida jokes apply to the rednecks with whom
you're surrounded, not to you.
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Texas Max King
2003-10-30 06:21:41 UTC
snip (yada, yada, yada, nada)
We know. Nobody is blaming you for having to live in Stupidland. Heck,
there are probably some intelligent people even in Jacksonville. They
have to *pretend* to be stupid to avoid being lynched, of course.
Just remember that our Florida jokes apply to the rednecks with whom
you're surrounded, not to you.
Oh and Great Britain doesn't have any
rascist bigots? Canada doesn't have any rascist
bigots?
I expect next you'll tell us that Florida and Texas
have the monopoly on ignorant bigots.
Evidently not.

-Max
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 07:45:36 UTC
Post by Texas Max King
snip (yada, yada, yada, nada)
We know. Nobody is blaming you for having to live in Stupidland. Heck,
there are probably some intelligent people even in Jacksonville. They
have to *pretend* to be stupid to avoid being lynched, of course.
Just remember that our Florida jokes apply to the rednecks with whom
you're surrounded, not to you.
Oh and Great Britain doesn't have any
rascist bigots? Canada doesn't have any rascist
bigots?
I expect next you'll tell us that Florida and Texas
have the monopoly on ignorant bigots.
Evidently not.
-Max
We have our share here in Shadowville, also.

Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-30 03:42:42 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:36:53 +0000, Renay St.
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?
<snip>
Since you no longer have anything meaningful to say, does this mean
you'll be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
*****not bloody likely! for the record, MY name was on top of the others
when you replied. I saw you first, dammit. they're all gonna have a go at
you, of course, but just remember, I SAW YOU FIRST! btw, do you or have
you ever lived in Florida, been a bike messener/member of the Screaming
Eagles, or had a girlfriend with an air compressor?
Just to pose a question, caused by righteous curiousity,
do you think there is a hidden casuality between Jim's Drama Queen exit,
and Chuckles repeated attempts to drag attention by annoucing his
departure from Useent, just to appear 12 hours afterwards?

Just curious.
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 04:45:56 UTC
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:36:53 GMT, Renay St. James wrote in
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Swampfetus
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Lame. Try again.
*****like anyone fucken cares now?
<snip>
Since you no longer have anything meaningful to say, does this mean you'll
be dragging your ass outta here now?
Good, thanks.
*****not bloody likely! for the record, MY name was on top
of the others when you replied. I saw you first, dammit.
they're all gonna have a go at you, of course, but just
remember, I SAW YOU FIRST!
I'll remember, just as I'll remember that Gary was the first to call
chuckles "chuckles".

But the lesser achievement of calling our favourite kook "chucknozzle"
is *mine*.

I'm sure that a name for this new kook will emerge eventually.
Post by Renay St. James
btw, do you or have you
ever lived in Florida, been a bike messener/member of the
Screaming Eagles, or had a girlfriend with an air compressor?
Renay
(do I have to hike my leg on him or anything now?)
I think that at this stage of the conversation you're expected to
provide a photo so he can stalk you all over Usenet.
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 04:38:28 UTC
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:10:54 -0500, Swampfetus wrote in
Post by Swampfetus
At times his poetry
can evoke beautiful, powerful images & feelings;
You heard it here first, folks!
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30
Remove NOSPAM to reply.
ggamble
2003-10-30 05:18:52 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
At times his poetry
can evoke beautiful, powerful images & feelings;
You heard it here first, folks!
It's just all the other times when his poetry evokes great gulping
spasmodic laughter and howls of outright derision.

Yeah, man all those dead Indians kinda like invaded my soul and
they're, like, still in there, man.
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 07:49:08 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
At times his poetry
can evoke beautiful, powerful images & feelings;
You heard it here first, folks!
It's just all the other times when his poetry evokes great gulping
spasmodic laughter and howls of outright derision.
Yeah, man all those dead Indians kinda like invaded my soul and
they're, like, still in there, man.
You should see a Shaman or something, then, man. Those dead Indians are
*not* happy... in fact, many are relatives of mine.

Ironywaves
2003-10-30 06:17:19 UTC
Post by Swampfetus
[...]

Well written, Dave. I think you've captured the real spirit of what's great
about poetry. I think everyone should write, and share, their poetry. Have
some guts and put the stuff out for people to see... let 'em love it or hate
it, but know its real. The only bad poetry is the poetry that lacks honesty.
Will
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 06:24:56 UTC
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Are you yourself on drugs, or is this *natural*?
Will
Chandra P. Das
2003-10-30 06:32:44 UTC
Post by Ironywaves
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Are you yourself on drugs, or is this *natural*?
... says one space-walking hippy stoner to another.
Will
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 07:43:27 UTC
Post by Chandra P. Das
Post by Ironywaves
Post by y***@yahoo.com
hey renay here's another rockstar-wannabe/pizza-delivery-boi. dave
taking any prozac lately? you sure need anger management aid
ying
Are you yourself on drugs, or is this *natural*?
... says one space-walking hippy stoner to another.
And from your pic, you'd know, Chandra. You look so stoned, you're
crosseyed!

Ironywaves
2003-10-29 20:21:42 UTC
Post by j r sherman
Post by j r sherman
Post by Renay St. James
Post by j r sherman
Post by Renay St. James
Post by j r sherman
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Dale Houstman
awful poet, as poets go. I went so far as to purchase his one published
collection (it was the 60s and I was probably high at the time!), and
within weeks it had aged into vinegar with little pieces of snake shit
floating around in it. As a lyricist he had more than a few good
moments, but as a poet not one.
dmh
*****what Dale said. apparently I was too subtle in my reply.
Renay
the comical glorification of Jim Morrison, has always amused me.
Morrison
Post by j r sherman
is
Post by j r sherman
perhaps the American personification of "style" over any measurable
talent
Post by j r sherman
or
Post by j r sherman
surprise me in the slightest that dockery is such a big fan. they
produce
Post by j r sherman
the
Post by j r sherman
same kind of work: bad.
and i have to disagree with Dale. Morrison as a lyricist has dated just
as
Post by j r sherman
badly
Post by j r sherman
he could barely remember his own name.
Damn! This is the second thing we've agreed on in less than a week, JRS! Lou
Reed's lyrics, great stuff. Did you hear the CD he did around 2001, Ecstasy?
Back in top form, in my opinion, musically, lyrically and vocally. I haven't
gotten around to getting the newest one, which is based on Edgar Allen Poe
in some way... but it sounds like it'll be interesting, as Reed usually is
in some way or another.

The other, in case you missed it, was Frank O'Hara. I got into him back in
my earliest Kerouac reading days, from a biography that gave the description
of a flame war poetry reading Kerouac heckled O'Hara, who was on the stage:

"You're ruining American poetry, O'Hara!"

"That's more than you could ever do, Jack."

I was reading all the Beats and Beat-related poets back then, and found some
O'Hara stuff, "2nd Avenue", etc.

Years later, I came across "City Poet", the biography of O'Hara, at the
coffee shop where I was resident poet and dishwasher.

It was pretty shocking when I got to the part when the dune buggy ran over
and killed him on the beach... tragic, but fitting... Frank O'Hara would
have prefered a dramatic death over wasting away in an infirmary or
something, I think.

About Jim Morrison, there was a long phase in my life when I might have
agreed with the negative voices here about his poetry *and* lyrics... but,
to my taste, he wrote some very powerful words, and the voice is one of the
best in rock, ever. Sometimes the music gets a little "rinky dink", but
Morrison's voice always carries the day.
Post by j r sherman
Post by j r sherman
i think one could name 100 better, more creative artists than Jim
Morrison, and
Post by j r sherman
that's without even trying.
Well, sure, but we're not writing about them here. I'd wager you could name
100 worse without even trying, also.
Renay
themissinglink
2003-10-29 23:01:44 UTC
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think
some
Post by Will Dockery
will find it of interest.
Post by Renay St. James
understand
he was mezmerizing on stage...when he was there and wanted to be. the
tapes I've seen don't support this, however.
Yeah, the tapes are all very "AM" radio in relativity to the club
level performances (happenings). Nothing as volatile was even possible
to record, as the environments were raw and improv and filled with
organic feeding frenzy.

By the time he went "commercially" to the Bowl and on to concert
level, it was basically over, except for his half-heartedness serving
as a final rude comment on the dilemma in which he "progressed".

He was an appearing, and undeniably attractive to youth. Now, a common
ground to the generation X+ which suffers an atmosphere of such
disproportionate despair and dismal doldroms (frighteningly with NO
memory of a kinder or brighter time, that we older ones presume to
dictate from.)

It is easy to understand, that at the time, he was too dark for much
of the current events, but fits easily into the depressed status quo
of this hour's youth swimming endlessly through the Pandora's Box we
unleashed naively, now flooding their consciousness. Jim speaks to the
dark corners, which are the obvious state of the new masses. A dark
Peter Pan, and we, sadly, the arrogant ruling class---finally "mature"
and calloused to a very frightening degree, and insensitive and
impotently impervious to their heart cries. It's a Hard Rain's Gonna
Fall.

The Great Ones remember.

(and indeed Lou Reed was there as well.---and God Bless him, Dylan
still forbears as the most enduring and courageous of the Strange
Days, though sadly without too much longer to go---the planet will be
a sorrier place without him. A true and wondrous Voice.)

ahhhhhh! Just remembered I get to go the the MACC tonight to see his
last effort, which should be a heartwrenching treat. I can't recall
the name of it, but it has a vast support system of characters. Has
anyone seen it yet? I'll report in from the Maui Arts and Cultural
Center! Hey, Makawao?!!! Howzit! See you tonight if you guys get
there..... Link

yeah, he was a hottie...then
Renay
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 06:37:14 UTC
Post by themissinglink
Post by Renay St. James
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think
some
Post by Will Dockery
will find it of interest.
Post by Renay St. James
[...]
Yes! "Masked & Anonymous" it's like looking in on his dram/nightmare, with
Dylan's sad, brave face staring back at you. I'll post a few snippets of
commentary here, but go to "rec.music.dylan", where they're discussing it
endlessly, bit by bit... a masterpiece! Some links:

http://www.sonyclassics.com/masked/

"What can I say about Claudette?"

What an incredible event! Seeing the new movie "Masked & Anonymous"
with John Goodman, Jessica Lange, Jeff Bridges, Luke Wilson and, of
course, Bob Dylan. This all too real, yet impressionistically surreal
masterpiece has a surprisingly strong plot (given the view of several
critics) and moves smoothly through a colorful montage of powerful
scenes and deep monologues. All this is interwoven around great
themes, 'like god and man and law' with such dexterity that it must be
viewed again and again to feast at this table.

As several have already noted, the casting director of the film went
straight to the pages of Dylan's songbook to find his characters. A
most enigmatic and riveting performance is presented by Val Kilmer's
captivating cameo as the animal wrangler, who probes the deep
questions which have always concerned Mr. Zimmerman on the nature of
man and his insanity in juxtaposition with the animals. "Man Gave
Names To All The Animals." This vignette is truly a movie unto itself,
complete with a hat trick.

The character of "Cupid", Luke Wilson, is an especially interesting
one, as he seems to be central to the overriding theme of the plot. In
many ways Cupid is representative of all Dylan's true fans, loyal,
faithful, protective and idolizing. When Jack Fate, played by Bob
Dylan, first hits town, he calls for Cupid, embracing him when he
arrives. Obviously, in spite of his very rugged and posturing
demeanor, Dylan still believes in the power of love. With the
introduction of the completely jaded Tom Friend (Tom Paine?) the age
old conflict is on, but don't be too surprised of the twists of Fate.
The thematic development of this movie is multi-layered and fantastic!

An added highlight of the movie are the superbly done scenes of Dylan
and his band performing several of his tunes, many of which, for
whatever reason, did not make the soundtrack. A new rendition of
"Drifter's Escape" was a terrific surprise, along with a memorable.
Tight, close-up shots get his audience as close to the master as
anyone ever will!

It would appear to this writer that Zimmy is easing back to his same
old used to be, using this medium to present his ideas in an
aggressive manner. Perhaps Bobby has been knocking at heaven's door
too often of late. The unexpected and heart grabbing scene with
Jessica Lange tuning in a radio broadcast from the very pit of hell is
another very powerful moment. The equally poignant and tender scene of
the six year old black girl, forced to learn Bob's music by her white
mother, is another mini-masterpiece. As she sings "The Times They Are
A Changin'" you want to weep with its author.

In short, this is a film which will be discussed long after the man is
gone. It is an honest effort on Dylan's part, superbly managed by
Larry Charles, and interlaced with great tunes from the poet laureate
of my lifetime and yours. Find a way to view this film! "I'd stand in
line."

Eugene Wolfe
Post by themissinglink
yeah, he was a hottie...then
Renay
Dr. Flonkenstein
2003-10-29 22:57:04 UTC
Being tired of lurking, on Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:22:01 +0000, PButler111
Post by j r sherman
[...]
Then again, you employ the rather pathetic affectation of using lowercase
letters, and can't even do that consistently, so what the fuck do you
know?
what lowercase letters?
--
mhm 27x12
smeeter #27 (also)
CEO Alcatroll Labs Inc.
Dale Houstman
2003-10-30 03:09:15 UTC
Post by j r sherman
the comical glorification of Jim Morrison, has always amused me. Morrison is
perhaps the American personification of "style" over any measurable talent or
substance, marketing over concrete achievements, the male forerunner of Madonna.
and that's just his musical career. as a poet he was just awful. it does not
surprise me in the slightest that dockery is such a big fan. they produce the
same kind of work: bad.
Morrison is terrible, but - to my mind - Dockery's even worse. At least
Morrison had epic pretensions: Will seems to aim lower and still miss.
Post by j r sherman
and i have to disagree with Dale. Morrison as a lyricist has dated just as badly
as his poetry. christ, Lou Reed's lyrics from the 60s are still as fresh as the
day he wrote them, and Lou was so strung out on drugs during that whole era that
he could barely remember his own name.
We could argue, but you're not far wrong. Lou's better by far, but I
have most of Jim's albums and there are songs I rather like: "Strange
Days," "Moonlight Drive" and others. They aren't first-rate probably,
but as good as most pop pap.
Post by j r sherman
i think one could name 100 better, more creative artists than Jim Morrison, and
that's without even trying.
100! I could do better than that without breaking wind.

dmh
Ironywaves
2003-10-30 05:37:36 UTC
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by j r sherman
the comical glorification of Jim Morrison, has always amused me. Morrison is
perhaps the American personification of "style" over any measurable talent or
substance, marketing over concrete achievements, the male forerunner of Madonna.
and that's just his musical career. as a poet he was just awful. it does not
surprise me in the slightest that dockery is such a big fan. they produce the
same kind of work: bad.
Morrison is terrible, but - to my mind - Dockery's even worse. At least
Morrison had epic pretensions: Will seems to aim lower and still miss.
But I'm alive.
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by j r sherman
and i have to disagree with Dale. Morrison as a lyricist has dated just as badly
as his poetry. christ, Lou Reed's lyrics from the 60s are still as fresh as the
day he wrote them, and Lou was so strung out on drugs during that whole era that
he could barely remember his own name.
We could argue, but you're not far wrong. Lou's better by far,
Lou's great, obviously.

but I
Post by Dale Houstman
have most of Jim's albums and there are songs I rather like: "Strange
Days," "Moonlight Drive" and others. They aren't first-rate probably,
but as good as most pop pap.
Better than most, now more than ever.
Post by Dale Houstman
Post by j r sherman
i think one could name 100 better, more creative artists than Jim Morrison, and
that's without even trying.
100! I could do better than that without breaking wind.
dmh
Sure, 100s even: Lloyd Cole, John Wesley Harding, Paul Westerberg... but
naming 100 still doesn't take away from the things Jim Morrison created in
his lifetime... which was way too short. He was a great poet/performer, like
it or not.
Will
Colin Ward
2003-10-29 22:49:34 UTC
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
Will, you need to pay more attention to proper
punctuation. In the subject line there should be
quotation marks around "poetry".

Best regards,

the other Colin
Peter J Ross
2003-10-30 01:07:11 UTC
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:49:34 -0600, Colin Ward wrote in
Post by Colin Ward
Post by Will Dockery
I came across a good collection of Jim Morrison's poetry, I think some
will find it of interest. I do.
Will
http://www.huddersfield1.co.uk/poetry/morrisonpoetry.htm
Will, you need to pay more attention to proper
punctuation. In the subject line there should be
quotation marks around "poetry".
I thought he'd merely misspelled the word doggerel.

"Jim Morrison's Doggerel"
mhm34x8
Smeeter #30