"Deep Blue Sassafras" / Will Dockery (c & c)
2018-06-24 19:34:04 UTC
Deep Blue Sassafras

You never left
as another day passes.

Your love
my love
continues.

You sleep
or you wander,
depending on the chosen myth.

But those
deep blue flowers in a box
the color of your eyes.

The deep blue flowers
I found blooming
in the lumber yard.

I brought them to you
that summer morning in 1982.

The flowers
that smelled like sassafras.

Like you,
never leave my thoughts
day in, day out.

-Will Dockery

(The original thread for this poem has become too lengthy to navigate, thus, a re-post for comment and critique.)
e***@gmail.com
Aaaahhhh! So beautiful, so many unanswered questions! I'm really going to have to ponder this one for a while!
Will Dockery
2018-06-25 09:51:04 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Thanks for the read and comment... I hope that the ongoing poems will answer as many questions as they raise...

;)
h***@gmail.com
2018-06-25 10:20:07 UTC
The olfactory bulb begins in the nose,
and runs along the base of the brain
with connections to the amygdala and
hippocampus, which may explain why
smells are so successful at eliciting our
emotions and memories. Make scents?
ME
2018-06-25 10:36:26 UTC
Right on the nose Corey!!!
Will Dockery
2018-07-09 10:37:25 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Yet another of my poems set in Atlanta 1982...

I think perhaps I should simply assemble all these into one chronological volume, and see how the story flows, complete.
ME
2018-07-09 10:44:12 UTC
Don't bother will. No one wants to read about your nasty, whore ridden take on Atlanta.
I've noticed almost all your shit contains your supposed endeavors of drugs, cheap hookers and rundown neighborhoods.
That is not the Atlanta so many of us who really lived there remember.
(By 'lived there' I mean had real lives and thrived there)
Will Dockery
2018-07-09 10:46:25 UTC
Don't bother will. No one wants to read about your nasty, whore ridden take on Atlanta.
I've noticed almost all your shit contains your supposed endeavors of drugs, cheap hookers and rundown neighborhoods.
That is not the Atlanta so many of us who really lived there remember.
(By 'lived there' I mean had real lives and thrived there)
So...

Write your own poems about Atlanta, and I'll write mine.

Fair enough?

:)
Dylan K
2018-06-25 10:37:48 UTC
Great imagery and great poem!! Could be imone of my favorites by u!
Will Dockery
2018-06-25 18:03:20 UTC
Post by Dylan K
Great imagery and great poem!! Could be imone of my favorites by u!
Thanks, Dylan K.

2018-06-30 09:18:34 UTC

2018-06-25 22:49:13 UTC
That tell a good story.......
Will Dockery
2018-06-28 13:22:18 UTC
i justt saw your post here, Zod, and glad the story developed well for you in this one.
p***@gmail.com
Very Beautiful, Will! This has to be my fav of all I'Ve read so far! Yesss...!
Will Dockery
2018-06-26 19:08:07 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Thank you, for reading and for the kind comment, Peg... I'm very pleased with the way this one came out, as well.

Looking forward to any poetry or other writings you'd like to post here.

👍

--
Peg O'Neill - Singer/Songwriter

https://www.reverbnation.com/pegoneill
Will Dockery
2018-08-04 10:55:39 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]

Peg O'Neill is another friend of mine who visits, reads and posts here, Pendragon... Peg is from Brockton, MA.

Since you asked.

:)
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-04 11:03:03 UTC
You ever hear of a jazz musician named Trombone Shorty?
If you like New Orleans style jazz, you should check him out.
He headlined the show I worked last night. The guy can play.
Will Dockery
2018-08-04 11:11:10 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
You ever hear of a jazz musician named Trombone Shorty?
If you like New Orleans style jazz, you should check him out.
He headlined the show I worked last night. The guy can play.
No, but I an checking Trombone Shorty out right now:

https://www.reverbnation.com/tromboneshorty

Thanks, and good morning, Corey...

:)
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-04 11:15:20 UTC
No worries; have a good one.
Will Dockery
2018-08-04 11:23:42 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
No worries; have a good one.
Hello Corey, you may have missed all this, yesterday, where I mentioned perhaps some assistance from you, as our poetry group Reverend:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/qLg00yuuztU/OpJcLTxPDQAJ

I have a $50 money order for you, Thomas aka Jim.

Drop by Wednesday night and I'll give it to you... made out to any name you please.

Why not just take the refund and let us end this?

I have considered mailing the $50 to Corey, as he once suggested, since I do know his mailing address.

From there, Corey can either forward the money order on to Thomas, or donate it to his church, whatever.

I'm offering to pay off the debt, it seems silly to continue to refuse the payment.

In my opinion.

Just an idea, Corey... but a pretty good one, I think.

:)
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-04 11:31:21 UTC
Yes, I missed all of that. I never suggested you send me $50.
I don't know where you got that from, but please don't do that.
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-04 11:44:57 UTC
In my opinion, you don't owe Jim any money whatsoever,
but you do owe him an apology for all the confusion; just
like he owes you an apology for questioning your integrity.
Of course that's just my opinion, and you know what they
say about opinions. Everybody has one, and they all stink.
Will Dockery
2018-08-04 14:40:24 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In my opinion, you don't owe Jim any money whatsoever,
but you do owe him an apology for all the confusion; just
like he owes you an apology for questioning your integrity.
Of course that's just my opinion, and you know what they
say about opinions. Everybody has one, and they all stink.
Hello Corey, thanks for giving your opinion on the $50 money order flame war.

I have even made a sincere apology to Jim/Thomas on the matter, and for all the confusion that followed, , I can't remember now if he accepted it or not.

I'll post a link to that here, and perhaps bump that thread to the top, shortly.
Cujo DeSockpuppet
2018-08-04 14:52:34 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
In my opinion, you don't owe Jim any money whatsoever,
but you do owe him an apology for all the confusion; just
like he owes you an apology for questioning your integrity.
Of course that's just my opinion, and you know what they
say about opinions. Everybody has one, and they all stink.
Hello Corey, thanks for giving your opinion on the $50 money order flame war.
I have even made a sincere apology to Jim/Thomas on the matter, and
for all the confusion that followed, , I can't remember now if he
accepted it or not.
I'll post a link to that here, and perhaps bump that thread to the top, shortly.
So your money order to your daughter basically was another one of your many
proven lies?

Nice to know, deadbeat.
"You are among the worst goddamned liars that exists, and I'd love to kill
you in a ring and put an end to the useless crap which is you - but you'll
clearly never give me that chance." - Foamboi Bartlo in a calm moment.
Will Dockery
2018-08-04 15:00:21 UTC
Post by Cujo DeSockpuppet
Post by Will Dockery
Post by h***@gmail.com
In my opinion, you don't owe Jim any money whatsoever,
but you do owe him an apology for all the confusion; just
like he owes you an apology for questioning your integrity.
Of course that's just my opinion, and you know what they
say about opinions. Everybody has one, and they all stink.
Hello Corey, thanks for giving your opinion on the $50 money order flame war.
I have even made a sincere apology to Jim/Thomas on the matter, and
for all the confusion that followed, , I can't remember now if he
accepted it or not.
I'll post a link to that here, and perhaps bump that thread to the top, shortly.
So your money order to your daughter basically
<snip>

Obviously the money order I gave my daughter, as he suggested, was not good enough for Thomas/Jim, since he's still complaining about the money.

So I have another money order for him, after which this matter will finally be settled.

I tell you what will. I’ll give Jim $50 if you’ll stop with posting for the rest of the day!
Will Dockery
2018-08-04 15:18:17 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
That is a tempting offer.

Please take the offer!!
Will Dockery
It is worth considering...
ME
Well, it is only the 4th of the month. If you don’t take it today, I’ll make the offer later in the month, when the money from the check is gone.
Will Dockery
2018-08-04 16:21:58 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
I see now that Thomas/Jim is saying give the fifty dollar money order to Zod, which sounds like a good idea:

"...wanting to send Corey the $50..now lets review...the fifty was sent to help his down and out friend...so here's what I suggest for the fifty...hand it to where it was suppose to go..your good buddy Zod..or whatever he calls himself these days...his to use as he sees fit..."
-Thomas Jones

The $50 Money Order for Thomas/Jim.
ME
Great segue will!!
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-04 19:08:26 UTC
You're welcome. In my opinion, you have not made
a sincere apology to Jim on the matter, or accepted
responsibility for all the confusion that followed, but
like I said, that's just my stinky little old opinion.

General Zod
2018-07-02 23:48:13 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I agree but sassafrass is always green I thought....

Maybe it was the LSD change colors......??
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 06:40:14 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
They were blue blooms, perhaps a hybrid.

McCloud, the man who grew them, was quite a gardener.

This seems to be the closest I've seen to McCloud's flowers, Doryphora Sassafras:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N07/9211887243
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 06:49:10 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
And here:

https://atlasoflife.naturemapr.org/Community/Sighting/3360069

Doryphora Sassafras.
Michael Pendragon
This may be one of those gold and white vs black and blue dresses things, but those flowers look pretty darn white.
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 07:18:21 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I don't have actual photos of McCloud's flowers, which were more what I might call "azure", if I was more pretentious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_(color)
General Zod
Yes, yes, it comes together now...………….
Will Dockery

It was his little garden at Carolina Lumber, sitting in the sun...
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 07:22:14 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
This one is definitely quite a subtle blue:

https://atlasoflife.naturemapr.org/Community/Sighting/3360069
Michael Pendragon
Subtle is an understatement; try imperceptibly blue.
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 07:46:24 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Not to me, but you can see it your way and I can see it mine, no reason for another argument.

2018-07-04 15:08:12 UTC
This may be one of those gold and white vs black and blue dresses things, but those flowers look pretty darn white.
Michael, it’s not named after a color of a flower. It’s named after MDA.
The sassafras tree has no flowers.
I don’t know what the fuck dickwad’s talking about.
Will Dockery

Well, LSD does amplify the five senses.
Will Dockery
And brings the Sixth to the forefront...
Will Dockery
2018-07-05 11:08:55 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]

Well, LSD does amplify the five senses... and brings the sixth to the forefront.

Here, almost exactly n the moment, Summer 1982:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0invUXXsRAQ

XTC - Senses Working Overtime ("English Settlement" | Virgin/Epic, 1982)
Will Dockery
2018-06-26 12:46:04 UTC
Thanks for reading and commenting, Peg.

👍
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 00:48:07 UTC

d***@gmail.com
Sweet!
Will Dockery

2018-07-04 15:09:16 UTC
Will Dockery
2018-07-04 15:21:36 UTC
Read the poem again.

I wrote that the flowers smelled "like" Sassafras.
ME
2018-07-04 15:33:49 UTC
Bull shit will. It's named for dope, you dope!!
Will Dockery
2018-07-04 15:46:00 UTC
Bull shit will. It's named for dope, you dope!!
Why am I not surprised you seem to have not even read the poem?

2018-07-04 16:09:24 UTC
I read it.
You threw in some shit about giving some deceased girl blue flowers.
But we both know what's behind the title.
Will Dockery
2018-07-04 16:11:16 UTC
I read it.
You threw in some shit about giving some deceased girl blue flowers.
But we both know what's behind the title.
I have no idea what your fantasy about my poem is about, "Me", and frankly, I don't give a damn.

2018-07-04 16:25:25 UTC
I read your fucking poem will. It the shit different title. You pick up a woman, you do her, you leave and have some wonderful memory of her. Sound familiar?
I gave you my take on it. Take it or leave it.
Will Dockery
2018-07-04 16:28:28 UTC
I read your fucking poem will. It the shit different title. You pick up a woman, you do her, you leave and have some wonderful memory of her. Sound familiar?
I gave you my take on it. Take it or leave it.
Great... let's leave it.

Bye bye.

2018-07-04 17:40:15 UTC
And he found the flowers blooming in a lumber yard ... back when he was squatting in its storeroom.
Will Dockery
2018-07-04 19:54:03 UTC
I read your fucking poem will. It the shit different title. You pick up a woman, you do her, you leave and have some wonderful memory of her. Sound familiar?
I gave you my take on it. Take it or leave it.
And he found the flowers blooming in a lumber yard ... back when he was squatting in its storeroom.
No, I worked at the lumber company in Atlanta for three years, I only crashed in the break room a few times in Winter of 1981.

Biographical details... since you're so interested in each and every one, en.

2018-07-05 00:25:13 UTC
I read your fucking poem will. It the shit different title. You pick up a woman, you do her, you leave and have some wonderful memory of her. Sound familiar?
I gave you my take on it. Take it or leave it.
And he found the flowers blooming in a lumber yard ... back when he was squatting in its storeroom.
No, I worked at the lumber company in Atlanta for three years, I only crashed in the break room a few times in Winter of 1981.
Biographical details... since you're so interested in each and every one, en.
I can't think of anything less interesting.

As per usual, your title is the best thing about your poem. "Crimson and Clover" ... er, sorry, "Deep Blue Sassafras" is every bit as catchy as "Apple Montage."

You've got a real talent for title writing, Will.

Your poem, also as per usual, demonstrates your profound inability to compose a proper sentence.

Admittedly, that's a slight exaggeration. I was able to find one actual sentence in the poem:

"I brought them to you
that summer morning in 1982."

Granted, it isn't a very good sentence ... but I think it just might qualify as one.

The poem itself is 10th rate, sentimental slop: "My love? Do you remember the pretty blue flowers that you said smelled like sassafras? They were the color of your eyes. And though you're gone, I will remember you always, my everlasting love." Sigh!

There isn't an original, or even mildly interesting, thought in the entire piece.

But, hey, it's got that catchy title! So you go, girl!
Will Dockery
2018-07-05 01:00:16 UTC
But, hey, it's got that catchy title
An important part of a poem, to me... so thanks for that much.

2018-07-06 20:41:23 UTC
With all the sing-song tripe you write, that comes off a bit hypocritical.

Just ask PJR.

2018-07-06 22:03:28 UTC
With all the sing-song tripe you write, that comes off a bit hypocritical.
Just ask PJR.
What has "sing-song" got to do with it?

Your "poem" doesn't even rhyme.

Your topic is sentimental slop. If it were expressed in rhyme, it would in all probability be sing-song sentimental slop. Rhyme has never been your forte.
Will Dockery
2018-07-08 00:34:10 UTC
Rhyme has never been your forte.
Rhyme is relatively new for me in poetry...
Will Dockery
2018-07-07 19:03:05 UTC
A link to the local library?

What's the point with that?
Michael Pendragon
2018-07-07 20:51:28 UTC
A link to the local library?
What's the point with that?
Go to the library.
Borrow the book.
Read the book.

Unless, of course, they've taken back your card.
Will Dockery
2018-07-07 21:26:27 UTC
A link to the local library?
What's the point with that?
Go to the library.
Borrow the book.
Read the book.
Unless, of course, they've taken back your card.
Maybe later, I have other reading on my agenda for now... thanks for the tip, though.

2018-07-07 06:53:04 UTC
One man's sentimental slip is another man's heart and soul.

"Art is subjective... " after all.

😀
Michael Pendragon
2018-07-07 12:54:07 UTC
One man's sentimental slip is another man's heart and soul.
7.441 billion people write sentimental slop. It's the other .001 billion who are the true artists.
Post by Will Dockery
"Art is subjective... " after all.
Not in that sense. I refer you to Robert Pirsig's thoughts on "Quality" (in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance").
Will Dockery
2018-07-07 18:51:19 UTC
Do you have a link, or do you want to put it on your own words?
Michael Pendragon
2018-07-07 18:57:22 UTC
I refer you to Robert Pirsig's thoughts on "Quality" (in "Zen and the Art
of Motorcycle Maintenance").
Do you have a link, or do you want to put it on your own words?
Try this one.

https://www.cvlga.org/columbus-public-library/
ME
2018-07-07 20:12:31 UTC
Michael, is that where he keeps his extensive library?
Will Dockery
2018-07-08 01:45:21 UTC
Michael, is that where he keeps his extensive library?
You seem confuse... that /is/ a library.

One in Phenix City is better...………………………………………..
Will Dockery
2018-07-21 02:29:48 UTC
I refer you to Robert Pirsig's thoughts on "Quality" (in "Zen and the Art
of Motorcycle Maintenance").
Do you have a link, or do you want to put it on your own words?
Try this one.

https://www.cvlga.org/columbus-public-library/

No, they close too early in the day.

Bravo!