"Deep Blue Sassafras" / Will Dockery (c & c)
2018-06-24 19:34:04 UTC
Deep Blue Sassafras

You never left
as another day passes.

Your love
my love
continues.

You sleep
or you wander,
depending on the chosen myth.

But those
deep blue flowers in a box
the color of your eyes.

The deep blue flowers
I found blooming
in the lumber yard.

I brought them to you
that summer morning in 1982.

The flowers
that smelled like sassafras.

Like you,
never leave my thoughts
day in, day out.

-Will Dockery

(The original thread for this poem has become too lengthy to navigate, thus, a re-post for comment and critique.)
e***@gmail.com
Aaaahhhh! So beautiful, so many unanswered questions! I'm really going to have to ponder this one for a while!
Will Dockery
2018-06-25 09:51:04 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Thanks for the read and comment... I hope that the ongoing poems will answer as many questions as they raise...

;)
h***@gmail.com
2018-06-25 10:20:07 UTC
The olfactory bulb begins in the nose,
and runs along the base of the brain
with connections to the amygdala and
hippocampus, which may explain why
smells are so successful at eliciting our
emotions and memories. Make scents?
ME
2018-06-25 10:36:26 UTC
Right on the nose Corey!!!
Dylan K
2018-06-25 10:37:48 UTC
Great imagery and great poem!! Could be imone of my favorites by u!
Will Dockery
2018-06-25 18:03:20 UTC
Post by Dylan K
Great imagery and great poem!! Could be imone of my favorites by u!
Thanks, Dylan K.

2018-06-30 09:18:34 UTC

2018-06-25 22:49:13 UTC
That tell a good story.......
Will Dockery
2018-06-28 13:22:18 UTC
i justt saw your post here, Zod, and glad the story developed well for you in this one.
p***@gmail.com
Very Beautiful, Will! This has to be my fav of all I'Ve read so far! Yesss...!
Will Dockery
2018-06-26 19:08:07 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Thank you, for reading and for the kind comment, Peg... I'm very pleased with the way this one came out, as well.

Looking forward to any poetry or other writings you'd like to post here.

👍

--
Peg O'Neill - Singer/Songwriter

https://www.reverbnation.com/pegoneill
General Zod
2018-07-02 23:48:13 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I agree but sassafrass is always green I thought....

Maybe it was the LSD change colors......??
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 06:40:14 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
They were blue blooms, perhaps a hybrid.

McCloud, the man who grew them, was quite a gardener.

This seems to be the closest I've seen to McCloud's flowers, Doryphora Sassafras:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N07/9211887243
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 06:49:10 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
And here:

https://atlasoflife.naturemapr.org/Community/Sighting/3360069

Doryphora Sassafras.
Michael Pendragon
This may be one of those gold and white vs black and blue dresses things, but those flowers look pretty darn white.
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 07:18:21 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I don't have actual photos of McCloud's flowers, which were more what I might call "azure", if I was more pretentious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_(color)
Will Dockery
2018-07-03 07:22:14 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
This one is definitely quite a subtle blue:

https://atlasoflife.naturemapr.org/Community/Sighting/3360069

Will Dockery
2018-06-26 12:46:04 UTC
Thanks for reading and commenting, Peg.