'A Smile To Remember' by Charles Bukowski
drive-by
2020-05-23 23:45:47 UTC
'A Smile To Remember'
by Charles Bukowski

we had goldfish and they circled around and around
in the bowl on the table near the heavy drapes
covering the picture window and
my mother, always smiling, wanting us all
to be happy, told me, 'be happy Henry!'
and she was right: it's better to be happy if you
can
but my father continued to beat her and me several times a week while
raging inside his 6-foot-two frame because he couldn't
understand what was attacking him from within.

my mother, poor fish,
wanting to be happy, beaten two or three times a
week, telling me to be happy: 'Henry, smile!
why don't you ever smile?'

and then she would smile, to show me how, and it was the
saddest smile I ever saw

one day the goldfish died, all five of them,
they floated on the water, on their sides, their
eyes still open,
and when my father got home he threw them to the cat
there on the kitchen floor and we watched as my mother
smiled
Zod
2020-05-24 02:28:00 UTC
Excellent, old Buk is the master of poetry,,,,
ME
2020-05-24 03:05:57 UTC
Excellent, old Buk is the master of poetry,,,,
So that’s why you think that trite bullshit that will writes is actual poetry.
That buk, was really fucked up from the start.
Zod
2020-05-24 03:13:00 UTC
You seem confused about Bukowski, one of the greatest of poets, ME.....
Michael Pendragon
2020-05-24 04:47:13 UTC
You seem confused about Bukowski, one of the greatest of poets, ME.....
Stink's hoping to form a confederacy of pissbums and wishes Buk to be posthumously included.
k***@gmail.com
2020-05-24 12:57:54 UTC
Excellent, old Buk is the master of poetry,,,,
So that’s why you think that trite bullshit that will writes is actual poetry.
That buk, was really fucked up from the start.
I thought the poem was interesting, and yes, Buk was fucked up. That's why it is interesting, a lot of us are fucked up in different ways.

I don't think Buk was among the greatest poets, but he certainly had something to say and is worth reading.
drive-by
2020-05-24 13:06:08 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Excellent, old Buk is the master of poetry,,,,
So that’s why you think that trite bullshit that will writes is actual poetry.
That buk, was really fucked up from the start.
I thought the poem was interesting, and yes, Buk was fucked up. That's why it is interesting, a lot of us are fucked up in different ways.
I don't think Buk was among the greatest poets, but he certainly had something to say and is worth reading.
Bukowski was the hot dog truck parked outside Clancy's Steak House.

I can eat and enjoy both.
Zod
Good points, Karen....
Zod
2020-05-24 05:37:00 UTC
Pendragon, you are exempt from the cool group...
Michael Pendragon
2020-05-24 05:59:21 UTC
Pendragon, you are exempt from the cool group...
Is that what you're calling your confederacy?
Zod
2020-05-24 07:10:00 UTC
The cute underlings....
Zod
2020-05-24 17:49:00 UTC
Pendragon, you're not expected to understand modern poetry....