Playgrounds Magazine
2018-08-22 21:02:38 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and issue.
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 21:06:44 UTC
Columbus State University Library has a collection, and I of course have most issues, as does Vickie Carson, the publisher.
Me
2018-08-22 22:23:35 UTC
GOOD ONE, NG!!!
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 23:14:48 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month,
do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or
available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was
an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume
number and issue.
GOOD ONE, NG!!!

I agree, but wish we could get the real Roonie G. on here rather than Wango
forging his name...
Roonie
***@gmail.com
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 15:43:17 UTC
Post by Me
Post by NancyGene
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist?
GOOD ONE, NG!!!
I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, it is what is is.

Here's one of my poems and a column, though:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10978583_929699180396961_336762785185746021_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=0745e5bc4c344ff522ef2f0f5e5d9a87&oe=5C375FD9

And here's another...

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10922868_915653305134882_1355909814176843109_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ebd47ce392590782560392b1454b9d9c&oe=5C35B5BC

One more for now...

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10846072_895462827153930_1151866819729171931_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0fbf8721b39a731efaf3c383f6297de9&oe=5BFC801D

That's three months out of twenty years... more to come.

"And, that's the name of that tune."

2018-08-27 16:59:48 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month,
do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or
available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was
an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume
number and issue.
GOOD ONE, NG!!!

For once we agree, "Me".

2018-08-27 17:52:21 UTC
I can't agree with you on Playgrounds, Pen... I found a lot of the content
to be collectable material.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-27 18:10:11 UTC
I can't agree with you on Playgrounds, Pen... I found a lot of the content
to be collectable material.
No, you haven't. That statement implies that you are aware of various collectors for various items contained in it. I've absolutely no doubt that this is the case.

What you mean to say is that you, Will Dockery, believe that much of the paper's content is of a high enough quality to be saved. That's your opinion. The sample pages I saw featured puff-piece interviews with local or regional artists the majority of us have never heard of.

Otoh, the literary zines I'd published, "Penny Dreadful" and "Songs of Innocence & Experience," had print-runs of 200 copies (or less), yet every so often I see one of them for sale at Amazon or ebay (at ridiculously inflated prices). And my magazines weren't even widely known. Back issues of the infinitely better known "Poetry Magazine" are currently being auctioned on ebay.

Ebay's got back issues of "Playground" magazine (a children's publication), and an issue of "Chicken Coops & Playgrounds" magazine, but "Playgrounds" (with its colossal print run of 10,000 issues a month for 20 years appears to have vanished without a trace.
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 18:13:33 UTC
Fact is you've never even seen an issue of Playgrounds, Pen.

There was indeed collectable material in the back issues, art, writings and
so on.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-27 18:21:10 UTC
Fact is you've never even seen an issue of Playgrounds, Pen.
There was indeed collectable material in the back issues, art, writings and
so on.
Again, you are misusing the word "collectable."

People don't collect pictures of art from free magazines. Nor do they collect "writings and so on" from free magazines where the authors are unknown locals contributing their thoughts for free.
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 18:33:20 UTC
No, the collection of cover art alone would make a worthy gallery show.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-27 18:36:00 UTC
No, the collection of cover art alone would make a worthy gallery show.
EARTH TO WILL! Which collectible artists had original work appear on the covers?
Roonie_Griffeth
2018-08-22 22:32:35 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and issue.
Yes!
Playgounds does exist!
No longer in print form but electronically via Facebook!
Thank you so much for your interest!
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 23:03:43 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month,
do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or
available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was
an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume
number and issue.
Yes!
Playgounds does exist!
No longer in print form but electronically via Facebook!
Thank you so much for your interest!

Hold it... Roonie G. is supposed to be Wango Tango now..?

Caught me for a moment.

:)
Roonie
Who is Baphomet?
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 23:10:44 UTC
Damn, I thought for a moment we had the real Roonie G. on here with us...

But either way, welcome back, Wango...

Heh.
Me
2018-08-22 23:30:37 UTC
Will, how would you know that?
Will Dockery

Roonie_Griffeth
2018-08-22 22:35:07 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and issue.
Oops, forgot to add the link to the previous print editions of Playgrounds Magazine!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/playgroundsmagazine/photos/?tab=album&album_id=902449086455304

Thank you so much for your interest!
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 22:47:29 UTC
Post by Roonie_Griffeth
Post by NancyGene
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and issue.
Oops, forgot to add the link to the previous print editions of Playgrounds Magazine!
https://www.facebook.com/pg/playgroundsmagazine/photos/?tab=album&album_id=902449086455304
Thank you so much for your interest!
Hello Roonie, great to see you here, these folks are very curious about the history of Playgrounds Magazine.

๐Ÿ˜€
Me
No, heโ€™s now baphomet! ??
Roonie
What history do they want to know?
Me
2018-08-22 23:02:06 UTC
Post by Roonie
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Roonie_Griffeth
Post by NancyGene
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and issue.
Oops, forgot to add the link to the previous print editions of Playgrounds Magazine!
https://www.facebook.com/pg/playgroundsmagazine/photos/?tab=album&album_id=902449086455304
Thank you so much for your interest!
Hello Roonie, great to see you here, these folks are very curious about the history of Playgrounds Magazine.
๐Ÿ˜€
What history do they want to know?
Hi Roonie! Do you have a web site where the archives of playground can be found?
Iโ€™m sure theyโ€™re not displayed on your FB page.
If you donโ€™t mind, Roonie, please give a link to the webpage.
Thanks and welcome to aapc!
NancyGene
Well, so much for Roonie, but in other words, unless one is at Columbus State or in Will's shed, the issues are not available. One would think that at least a sample issue with Will's contributions would be on line. Therefore, what he supposedly wrote for 20 years is not provable. He might as well put them in a pickle jar.
Roonie
2018-08-22 23:39:15 UTC
Post by Me
Post by Roonie
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Roonie_Griffeth
Post by NancyGene
[...]
Here they all are for download, its perfectly safe!
http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 23:45:33 UTC
Post by Me
Post by Roonie
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Roonie_Griffeth
Post by NancyGene
[...]
I posted the link on the Wayback Machine, the site where quite a few issues were scanned.

I can repost that link later.
NancyGene
That only shows random pages and none with your contributions. Post a link to a page that has one of your poems on it. Also, we would like to see the page where it has guidelines for submissions to the magazine.
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 23:54:31 UTC
It might be easier for me to just scan some of my old copies.

๐Ÿ˜€
Me
2018-08-23 01:02:04 UTC
It might be easier for me to just scan some of my old copies.
๐Ÿ˜€
Oh yes, scan some old, yellowed copies of a local flyer so all will know that you submitted โ€˜poetryโ€™ to a dipshit local newspaper filler.
That will convince everyone!
Will Dockery

2018-08-23 02:17:55 UTC
Hello Stephan...

Well, I have posted three for the trolls to slobber over.

:)
BPJ
2018-08-23 02:31:49 UTC
Do you and Pickles fuck each other....
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-23 02:38:14 UTC
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 7:31:50 PM UTC-7, BPJ wrote:

Is your dementia created from video games you thought was like 'war'?

STEPHAN PICKERING / ื—ืคืฅ ื—"ื ื‘ืŸ ืื‘ืจื”ื
Torah ืืœื™ืœื” Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
ืœื—ื™ื•ืช ื–ืžืŸ ืจื‘ ื•ืœืฉื’ืฉื’...ืœืขื•ืœื ืœื ืขื•ื“
THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT
ืœืขื•ืœื ืœื ืืฉื›ื—

IN PROGRESS: Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva:
davening in
BPJ
2018-08-23 02:39:19 UTC
Do you fuck anyone or are you as impotent as Fat Fuck?
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-23 02:46:43 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
Is your dementia created from video games you thought was like 'war'?
Do you fuck anyone or are you as impotent as Fat Fuck?
Yes, I do. It is perfectly obvious you don't because, like NaziGene, you've wrapped yourself in 'sanitary napkins' with rainbow hues.

davening in the musematic dark
BPJ
2018-08-23 02:49:34 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
Is your dementia created from video games you thought was like 'war'?
Do you fuck anyone or are you as impotent as Fat Fuck?
Yes, I do. It is perfectly obvious you don't because, like NaziGene, you've wrapped yourself in 'sanitary napkins' with rainbow hues.
God damn..you ARE insane..nobody fucks that thing I saw....

I do hope this is your last night....
Me
Youโ€™re a nasty, misogynistic little toad, arenโ€™t you pickles.
Michael Pendragon
That poor, mummified cat!
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 18:34:59 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
Is your dementia created from video games you thought was like 'war'?
Do you fuck anyone or are you as impotent as
Don't worry, at 71 that is common, from what I hear... try a little blue
pill.
He needs to perhaps wear one on his face like John Lennon did once... heh.
Me
2018-08-24 18:48:33 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
Is your dementia created from video games you thought was like 'war'?
Do you fuck anyone or are you as impotent as
Don't worry, at 71 that is common, from what I hear... try a little blue
pill.
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
Yes, I do. It is perfectly obvious you don't because, like NaziGene,
you've wrapped yourself in 'sanitary napkins' with rainbow hues.
He needs to perhaps wear one on his face like John Lennon did once... heh.
Not only do you not try to tether your rabid fake Jew, but you perpetuate his vile, vicious and nasty slur# at others will.

So stop your bitching you get the responses you deserve.
You are getting what you truly deserve will.
But one day you will.
But tie up your rabid little defected today will.
Brother Dave
2018-08-23 05:15:43 UTC
Neither of them fat bitches have seen their dick for years.
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 18:55:03 UTC
Not, that's not true, Pendragon.

There were advertisements in Playgrounds Magazine, but the issues were
loaded with content about the local arts community, as well as poetry,
fiction and artwork.
Michael Pendragon
How many pages of actual content vs actual ads?
Will Dockery

Too much Donkey Kong down at the arcade for him..?
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-23 02:44:25 UTC
Hello Stephan...
Well, I have posted three for the trolls to slobber over.
:)
Yes, saw them at the authentic aapc on FaceBook...the trolls here would say the same thing about LOS ANGELES FREE PRESS (FREEP), that it was just a 'throw away'.

Me
Why would the LA Times be posting willโ€™s swill?
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-23 04:15:32 UTC
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 7:47:32 PM UTC-7, QuackerME should joint BPJ for a mutual impotence meet-up...
Post by Me
Why would the LA Times be posting willโ€™s swill?
Your stupidity is not surprising. LA FREE PRESS was, 23 May 1964-3 April 1978, probably the best alternative press newspaper, rivalling VILLAGE VOICE, BERKELEY BARB, EAST VILLAGE OTHER, among ohers, for incredibly artist and poets and writers. You would have not been able to be a part of it, because you are a Quacker, not an Artist.

Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
typo: incredible
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 18:55:50 UTC
No, "Me", I can speak for myself, don't need you to speak for me.
Will Dockery
2018-08-23 02:47:58 UTC
Exactly... it is a given that the trolls will whine...
NancyGene
2018-08-24 17:03:18 UTC
Post by Me
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
It's obvious that there was no proofreading or any kind of editorial standards at Playgrounds Magazine. Will's "poems" were really just run-on prose. He asked the same question about some non-existent poem of Yeats that he had asked on this group. Stirring up rumors for no reason. There are typos and wrong words in both Will's column and poems. No one cared.

The three scans are from 2014. Where are the early ones?

We would like to see the page that gives information about contributing to Playgrounds Magazine.
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di

2018-08-24 17:47:39 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 10:03:20 AM UTC-7, NaziGene babbles...
Because he does not publish, and has no education or writing ability, NaziGene is huffing-and-puffing...and actually lying about Will's poetry in PLAYGROUNDS.
STEPHAN PICKERING / ื—ืคืฅ ื—"ื ื‘ืŸ ืื‘ืจื”ื
Torah ืืœื™ืœื” Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
ืœื—ื™ื•ืช ื–ืžืŸ ืจื‘ ื•ืœืฉื’ืฉื’...ืœืขื•ืœื ืœื ืขื•ื“
THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT
ืœืขื•ืœื ืœื ืืฉื›ื—
davening in the musematic dark
Chavez, shut up. I am not in the mood for your stupidity today.
Thatโ€™s all youโ€™re here for. Stupid deflection.
Is that a chapter in book or is just under Stupid?
NancyGene
Everything is a chapter in his book.
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 18:58:59 UTC
Thanks to NG for creating this fabulous tread... heh.
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 19:00:14 UTC
Content varied from issue to issue.

You need to remember this magazine was published every month for about 25
years.
Frank Greenbaum
Good poems......
Brother Dave
2018-08-26 16:00:18 UTC
Post by Frank Greenbaum
Good poems......
Oh look, George Sulzbach has another sock. Or is it Will Dockery?
Will Dockery

:)
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-23 01:36:36 UTC
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 6:02:05 PM UTC-7, QuackerMe can't invent a tale...
Post by Me
Oh yes, scan some old, yellowed copies of a local flyer so all will know that you submitted โ€˜poetryโ€™ to a dipshit local newspaper filler.
That will convince everyone!
Quacker, must you dip your fingers into your own toilet, then lick them dry? You are hallucinating. The 'local flyer' in question was an abjudicated publication. You never published there, but Will wrote and published his poetry consistently.

Me
Well, pickles, why donโ€™t you stick a gold star on his ass for that!!
Brother Dave
Will already has a nasty brown star on his ass that Stephen Pickering tongues at every chance. What a couple of fruitcakes.
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 23:08:41 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month,
do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or
available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was
an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume
number and issue.
Oops, forgot to add the link to the previous print editions of Playgrounds
Magazine!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/playgroundsmagazine/photos/?tab=album&album_id=902449086455304

Thank you so much for your interest!

R.G. your email is showing up as Wango Tango... and I'm pretty sure you're
not the same person...

Thus, yet another imposter/forgery (apologies to Pen, but this one does fit
as a forger).

Wango Tango!
Will Dockery
2018-08-22 22:59:36 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month,
do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or
available > anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this
was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with
volume number
and issue.
Roonie, basically the above... where copies may be archived, and so on...

My reply was this response to NG:

"If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do
permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available
anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual
magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and
issue..." -NG

Columbus State University Library has a collection, and I of course have
most issues, as does Vickie Carson, the publisher.

CSU kept a collection as far back as the 1990s, possibly Columbus Library,
although I know they lost a lot whern they moved from the Bradley Library,
Vickie kept a collection, as did I...

Beyond that, I'm not sure... perhaps Vickie gave you a set when you bought
PG from her?
Roonie
PG from her?
Me
2018-08-22 23:09:38 UTC
Post by Roonie
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month,
do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or
available > anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this
was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with
volume number
and issue.
Roonie, basically the above... where copies may be archived, and so on...
Who are you people?
*********************************>

You came on here remember?

********************************
CSU kept a collection as far
NancyGene
We are stardust and we are golden. Why would you live in Columbus of all places?
Roonie
2018-08-22 23:07:59 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and issue.
I am on your machines.
There is nothing you can do about it.

-LulzSec
Roonie
2018-08-22 23:14:47 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and issue.
Its beginning to look alot like christmas
everywhere you go
go
01100101 11000101
11100010 01011111
00010110 11110101
go
.ack<gmail>inquiry=null
run(alt.arts.poetry.comments)return:true"
Roonie
2018-08-22 23:17:55 UTC
click please
Roonie
2018-08-22 23:18:18 UTC
click please
Will Dockery
2018-08-23 03:12:11 UTC
Oh, the horror...
Me
2018-08-23 03:13:23 UTC
Oh, the horror...
Are you about to get on stage?
Will Dockery
2018-08-23 03:31:52 UTC
Yes, I threw down a set already, "Me".

How kind of you to ask.

๐Ÿ’™
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 17:01:12 UTC
Oh, the horror...
Are you about to get on stage?

No, no plans for that until Wednesday night.

2018-08-23 04:23:46 UTC
Buk wrote for that paper, correct, Stephan?
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-23 04:30:35 UTC
Buk wrote for that paper, correct, Stephan?
Yes, for a time, he published part of his series 'Notes of a dirty old man' there, alongside Harlan Ellison et al. Nearly 50 years later, it is obvious that QuackerME, CapGunJim, NaziGene, and FakeJewPsychoLizard would never have been published because of no talent/vision.

Brother Dave
2018-08-23 04:34:31 UTC
Playgrounds was one of those free rags common to shithole little towns, mostly placed in bars where drunks used it to pretend to read while hiding their shame. The "circulation" is very misleading as many copies were used to clean up puke or to wipe asses. Nobody really read it, just looked at the ads to see who was playing where. The writing was weak, as contributors were volunteers. All one had to do was ask and show a minimal level of commitment and they could have a "column".
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di

2018-08-23 05:01:58 UTC
Definitely, with Buk and Ellison writing for the same paper, incredible.
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-23 05:10:35 UTC
Definitely, with Buk and Ellison writing for the same paper, incredible.
In the a.m., Will, I'll dig through my files. I think FREEP issues have been digitised online.

2018-08-27 17:14:09 UTC

I think I may have seen those as well, Stephan...
Me
2018-08-24 15:48:46 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and issue.
NG, the only archives are in the shed.
Besides, no serious poet would ever use ad finder flyer to claim they had published poetry.
If they really thought they were all that, they would have submitted their work to people in the literary world.
Other than that, it just a small time local poet/artist.
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 15:54:02 UTC
Post by Me
Post by NancyGene
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do permanent copies of these exist?
NG, the only archives are in the shed.
As stated earlier, that isn't true.
Post by Me
Besides, no serious poet would ever use ad finder flyer
And since that is not what Playgrounds Magazine even was, the serious poet did not do that.

As I have posted elsewhere, I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, it is what is is.

That's three months out of twenty years... more to come, and thanks for bringing this topic up to give me the opportunity to archive some details on this interesting part of my journey, "young ad daily growing".
BPJ
"young ad daily growing". ...oops
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 16:00:12 UTC
Good catch, but remember that here on Usenet we call what you do a "spelling lame".

Look it up.

๐Ÿ˜€
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-24 16:30:27 UTC
Post by Me
Besides, no serious poet would ever use ad finder flyer
And since that is not what Playgrounds Magazine even was, the serious poet did not do that.
EARTH TO WILL: "Playgrounds" was a local magazine that was financed primarily (if not entirely) from ads for local businesses. It's purpose was to provide listings for "local events" (what band is will be appearing at which bar, who will be speaking at the local library, what films are showing at the local theater, etc.); and to promote the local (and regional) artists appearing there.

This is *not* the sort of publication a poet wishes his work to appear in. Poets aim for Academic (University based) and/or literary journals ("Ploughshares," "Poetry," "Poetry Review," "AGNI," "The Gettysburg Review," "The Paris Review" and similar fare). And, while not a literary publication, per se, "The "New Yorker" is also a highly-respected forum.

You'll note that I've said that "Playgrounds" is *not* the sort of paper a serious/professional poet wishes to have his works appear in. This is because the desired poetry journals will not accept poetry that has appeared in print ... anywhere (often including online groups like aapc).

Publishing in a local paper is what new writers do in order to have something listed on their submission letters. If nothing else, having something to list shows that you are actively trying to get your work published and are serious about your work. Otoh, listing local publications shows that you're an amateur and (especially when you're 60 years old) causes one to wonder *why* you haven't got any national publication credits to list.

Once a serious poet has been published in national magazines, he/she removes all of the local stuff for good. It boggles the mind that someone who's been writing and self publishing poetry for 30-40 years, could be so clueless as to boast about having his poetry limited to local publications -- in a writers' group. That's on a par with an amateur singer boasting about his local open mic nite perfs to a musicians' group!
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-24 17:17:39 UTC
On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 9:30:28 AM UTC-7FakeJewPsychoLizard falls all over his delusions...
Post by Michael Pendragon
And, while not a literary publication, per se, "The "New Yorker" is also a highly-respected forum.
THE NEW YORKER is a literary publication. Moreover, genuine poets (and FJPL is not, of course, a poet) will submit wherever they desire, and if a publication depends on advertising to keep functioning, that is reality. FJPL, not being a poet, is not in a position to determine if a publication is poetry-qua-poetry. His quibbling about being 'amateur' is meaningless. H.P. Lovecraft and Ray Bradbury both published in 'amateur' fanzines often without pay beyond free copies of the issues, but this fact does not less their genuine stature.

2018-08-24 18:04:09 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
And, while not a literary publication, per se, "The "New Yorker" is also a highly-respected forum.
THE NEW YORKER is a literary publication. Moreover, genuine poets (and FJPL is not, of course, a poet) will submit wherever they desire, and if a publication depends on advertising to keep functioning, that is reality. FJPL, not being a poet, is not in a position to determine if a publication is poetry-qua-poetry. His quibbling about being 'amateur' is meaningless. H.P. Lovecraft and Ray Bradbury both published in 'amateur' fanzines often without pay beyond free copies of the issues, but this fact does not less their genuine stature.
The New Yorker's primary focus is not poetry. They usually publish between 2 - 4 short poems per issue. Here's the Wikipedia description:

"The New Yorker is an American magazine of reportage, commentary, criticism, essays, fiction, satire, cartoons, and poetry." Hence my use of "per se."

It also contains local listings including poetry readings.

As to Lovecraft and Bradbury: if they accepted payment in copy, they must have still been in the "struggling artist" phase of their career.
Will Dockery

Well put, Stephan.
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 17:15:22 UTC
Wrong, as usual, "Me".
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 18:19:01 UTC
Yes, Playgrounds Magazine did sell advertising... almost every magazine and
newspaper in America sells advertising.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-24 18:48:27 UTC
Yes, Playgrounds Magazine did sell advertising... almost every magazine and
newspaper in America sells advertising.
Literary magazines are privately funded (mostly Universities) and have minimal advertising (usually only for other literary magazines).

"Playgrounds" appears to have been 90% full page ads (based on the FB samples).

Have you ever seen, picked up, skimmed through, a literary magazine?
Brother Dave
Will used to like reading and responding to the gay personal ads. I really didn't want to know those details of his love life.
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 18:23:08 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month
Playgrounds was actually published about 24 years, NG.

My first published poem there was August or September of 1995.

In June of 1998, I struck a deal to write a monthly column and post a poem
each month in the magazine, as well as selecting and publishing other local
poets.
Will Dockery
2018-08-24 19:29:16 UTC
Thanks for the splendid comments, everyone.

๐Ÿ˜€
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-25 01:06:59 UTC
Thanks for the splendid comments, everyone.
Fish wrap, fish wrap,
Get yourself some fish wrap.
Fish wrap, fish wrap,
Wrap 'em up, yum.

*with apologies to Messrs. Barnes & Barnes
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-25 01:18:39 UTC
On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 6:07:00 PM UTC-7, FakeJewPsychoLizard plagiarises further...
Post by Michael Pendragon
*with apologies to Messrs. Barnes & Barnes
Shalom & Erev tov, Will...the Youtube plunderer is striving...

He does seem off his game tonight...
Me
2018-08-25 03:07:27 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
*with apologies to Messrs. Barnes & Barnes
Shalom & Erev tov, Will...the Youtube plunderer is striving...
He does seem off his game tonight...
Will, I know youโ€™re not referring to Michael..
Heโ€™s always got your number!
Will Dockery
2018-08-25 03:19:18 UTC
Post by Me
Will, I know youโ€™re not
As if you'd know... and eve if you were you're too biased to make the call.

Speaking of which: on the bus ride into work this morning I completed writing a short story that's taken me ... forever. On the bus ride home this evening, I started writing a new short story that's progressing rather quickly. It's based on a certain event that's been a topic of conversation here of late. Of course the names have been changed to protect the innocent (from lawsuits), but I'd say it's a lead pipe cinch that most of us will recognize the characters.
Will Dockery
2018-08-25 03:26:08 UTC
Speaking of which: on the bus ride into work this morning I completed writing a short story that's taken me ... forever. On the bus ride home this evening, I started writing a new short story that's progressing rather quickly. It's based on a certain event that's been a topic of conversation here of late. Of course the names have been changed to protect the innocent (from lawsuits), but I'd say it's a lead pipe cinch that most of us will recognize the characters.
Well, that does sound interesting.

Up there with Fish Eyed Pete, is it?
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-25 03:28:05 UTC
"Pete's" a tough standard to measure up to, but ... so far, so good.
Will Dockery
As Harlan Ellison wrote, "Fiction is creative lying."
NancyGene
2018-08-25 14:09:57 UTC
Speaking of which: on the bus ride into work this morning I completed writing a short story that's taken me ... forever. On the bus ride home this evening, I started writing a new short story that's progressing rather quickly. It's based on a certain event that's been a topic of conversation here of late. Of course the names have been changed to protect the innocent (from lawsuits), but I'd say it's a lead pipe cinch that most of us will recognize the characters.
Well, that does sound interesting.
Up there with Fish Eyed Pete, is it?
"Pete's" a tough standard to measure up to, but ... so far, so good.
As Harlan Ellison wrote, "Fiction is creative lying."
We don't see that Ellison ever said that. Could you give us a specific citation?

โ€œFiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.โ€ โ€• Albert Camus
Will Dockery
2018-08-25 15:55:23 UTC
As Harlan Ellison wrote, "Fiction is creative lying."
We don't see that Ellison ever said that. Could you give us a specific citation?
โ€œFiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.โ€ โ€• Albert Camus
Well, Ellison /may/ have been quoting Camus, as he did Fats Waller in another, that might have been taken as hs statement, or he may have phrased it somewhat differently.

As with the Waller quote, will track it down and we can see, so thanks, NG.
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-25 16:13:02 UTC
As Harlan Ellison wrote, "Fiction is creative lying."
We don't see that Ellison ever said that. Could you give us a specific citation?
โ€œFiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.โ€ โ€• Albert Camus
Well, Ellison /may/ have been quoting Camus, as he did Fats Waller in another, that might have been taken as hs statement, or he may have phrased it somewhat differently.
As with the Waller quote, will track it down and we can see, so thanks, NG.
Will, just keep in mind NaziGene has read none of these writers. He enters the phrase into a search engine for a possible match. I remember Harlan Ellison writing these sentiments, but cannot recall if he cited Camus. He was, unlike NaziGene, precise in his credits to others, so it shouldn't be difficult to eventually track down.

2018-08-25 16:25:07 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
As Harlan Ellison wrote, "Fiction is creative lying."
We don't see that Ellison ever said that. Could you give us a specific citation?
โ€œFiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.โ€ โ€• Albert Camus
Well, Ellison /may/ have been quoting Camus, as he did Fats Waller in another, that might have been taken as hs statement, or he may have phrased it somewhat differently.
As with the Waller quote, will track it down and we can see, so thanks, NG.
Will, just keep in mind NaziGene has read none of these writers. He enters the phrase into a search engine for a possible match. I remember Harlan Ellison writing these sentiments, but cannot recall if he cited Camus. He was, unlike NaziGene, precise in his credits to others, so it shouldn't be difficult to eventually track down.
Yes, I'm somewhat sure it was in one of 3-4 of Harlan Ellison's 1980s paperback collections, perhaps even in his own short story "All The Lies That Are My Life".

But, yes, I read the bit in an actual book, one of the 30-40 Harlan Ellison books in my collection, so, if it doesn't appear online, I will catch it during my ongoing re-reading of Ellison's work.

I see I did use the same Harlan Ellison quote about decade ago:

Led Zep song copped from Moby Grape?

http://alt.music.led-zeppelin.narkive.com/dG5l6SCj/led-zep-song-copped-from-moby-grape
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
you were wrong about which Led
Zeppelin song has Moby Grape's Never lyric.
That's fine, I was just naming the incident from memory. I have quite a few
Moby Grape records, no Led Zeppelin, and planned to go back to the Usenet
thread where I first read about it.

This looks like a good time to do that, since the subject is fresh, again,
thanks, Cyth.
--
"Writing is creative lying." -Harlan Ellison said that.

"When cheating is for losers, and playing straight's for fools... you never
know which way to go." -I said that.

From "Black Crow's Brother" by Will Dockery & Gini Woolfolk..."
Will Dockery
2018-08-25 16:51:04 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
As Harlan Ellison wrote, "Fiction is creative lying."
We don't see that Ellison ever said that. Could you give us a specific citation?
โ€œFiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.โ€ โ€• Albert Camus
Well, Ellison /may/ have been quoting Camus, as he did Fats Waller in another, that might have been taken as hs statement, or he may have phrased it somewhat differently.
As with the Waller quote, will track it down and we can see, so thanks, NG.
Will, just keep in mind NaziGene has read none of these writers. He enters the phrase into a search engine for a possible match. I remember Harlan Ellison writing these sentiments, but cannot recall if he cited Camus. He was, unlike NaziGene, precise in his credits to others, so it shouldn't be difficult to eventually track down.
I dd find this good quote from Harlan Ellison, while I look for the other one:

โ€œThank your readers and the critics who praise you, and then ignore them. Write for the most intelligent, wittiest, wisest audience in the universe: Write to please yourself.โ€ -Harlan Ellison

http://www.morefamousquotes.com/topics/you-are-my-universe-quotes/
Will Dockery
2018-08-25 18:11:16 UTC
[...]
Bingo... here is what I must have read, those 30-something years ago:

"There are writers who lie to themselves, and to their readers. Lying to readers in fiction is probably okay, because what is fiction but the well-constructed lie?" -Harlan Ellison

From:
The Harlan Ellison Hornbook: Essays - Google Books Result
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1497604621
Harlan Ellison - 2014 - โ€ŽBiography & Autobiography

https://books.google.com/books?id=UsgqAwAAQBAJ&lpg=PT65&dq=%22fiction%22%20%22lying%22%20%22harlan%20ellison%22&pg=PT65#v=onepage&q=%22fiction%22%20%22lying%22%20%22harlan%20ellison%22&f=false
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 12:49:53 UTC
As Harlan Ellison wrote, "Fiction is creative lying."
We don't see that Ellison ever said that. Could you give us a specific citation?
โ€œFiction is the lie through which we tell the truth.โ€ โ€• Albert Camus
I did find one from Harlan Ellison in which he says the same basic thing:

From:

You should be more careful about using quotes on statements that were not really said that way. You have done that before and been called on it.
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 14:59:55 UTC
Post by NancyGene
You should be more careful about using quotes on statements that were not really said that way. You have done that before and been called on it.
I'm also not finished with looking for versions of that statement made by Harlan Ellison...

I am sure Harlan Ellison has written on this topic before, and I think I know in which books, and I also suspect these books are not yet available online, so I'll have to sit down with the hard copy books and have a read to find them.

Harlan Elison's mid 1980s run of titles, when my fascination with the works of Harlan Ellison was at the highest point, back when I collected and read 25-30 titles of his in the space of a couple of years, is where I'm very sure I read this, so it will be a relatively short search, when I have the time.

So... we can stay tuned, if you'd like.
ME
NG, heโ€™s been called on that so many fucking times. He will post a deluge of irrelevant bullshit and the the other two will offer backup with utter nonsense.
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-08-26 16:12:28 UTC
On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 7:44:01 AM UTC-7, NaziGene begins this 24 hour cycle with more delusions...
Post by NancyGene
You should be more careful about using quotes on statements that were not really said that way. You have done that before and been called on it.
NaziGene's cripping problem is his relentless stupidity.

2018-08-26 17:28:15 UTC
Post by NancyGene
You should be more careful about using quotes on statements that were not really said that way. You have done that before and been called on it.
NaziGene's cripping problem is his relentless stupidity.
Among other ailments.

:)
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di

Will Dockery
2018-08-25 01:37:56 UTC
I have read that Van Gogh had a fish wrap moment, as well...
Will Dockery
2018-08-25 15:32:28 UTC
Okay, NG, I'll look for it... if course, I read it in one of his books, no on the internet, so it may take a while.

๐Ÿ˜€
Will Dockery
2018-08-25 15:46:00 UTC
Typo alert:

"Not" not "no".

๐Ÿ˜€
Monty Stone
2018-08-26 04:38:36 UTC
Good paper, put my art on cover many many times....
Brother Dave
2018-08-26 04:55:48 UTC
Of course, because it was free and it was a shit rag, like any canvas you ever put a brush to.
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 15:28:48 UTC
It looks relevant to me...
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 16:25:45 UTC
That's fine, because "when called on it" I can provide the source quote.
Brother Dave
2018-08-26 17:23:11 UTC
That's fine, because "when called on it" I can provide the source quote.
You can't even provide the quote for the post you are replying to, moron.
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 18:08:03 UTC
Okay, glad we cleared that up and set the record straight.

๐Ÿ˜€
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-26 23:12:22 UTC
Okay, glad we cleared that up and set the record straight.
There's really no need to set the record straight, Will. I'm sure we're all too aware that you can't even provide the quote for the post you are replying to.
ME
2018-08-26 23:17:29 UTC
He canโ€™t Michael. Thatโ€™s why heโ€™s known as a lying pissbum.
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 23:16:10 UTC
I provided plenty, Pendragon...

Read for yourself.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-26 23:22:21 UTC
I provided plenty, Pendragon...
Read for yourself.
As in this example?

Crikey! Will -- you've out-dumbed even yourself.
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 23:20:04 UTC
The misrepresentation has been corrected and the malicious lies rebuked.

The record is set straight.

๐Ÿ˜€
ME
2018-08-26 23:23:42 UTC
No it hasnโ€™t, you lying pissbum.
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 23:26:34 UTC
The thread has numerous examples.

Scroll back.

๐Ÿ˜€
ME
2018-08-26 23:28:40 UTC
The thread has numerous examples.
Scroll back.
๐Ÿ˜€
You were printed in an ad finder you pissbum.
And youโ€™re still a nobody.
Will Dockery
2018-08-26 23:37:29 UTC
No, "Me", you have your details confused... as usual.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-27 00:00:02 UTC
No, "Me", you have your details confused... as usual.
No, Will, you're undeniably a pissbum.
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 00:05:47 UTC
Will, you're undeniably a pissbum.
Your opinion of me doesn't change the facts of the discussion this thread is based on, though, Pendragon:

As I have posted elsewhere, I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, it is what is is.

Here's one of my poems and a column, though:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10978583_929699180396961_336762785185746021_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=0745e5bc4c344ff522ef2f0f5e5d9a87&oe=5C375FD9

And here's another...

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10922868_915653305134882_1355909814176843109_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ebd47ce392590782560392b1454b9d9c&oe=5C35B5BC

One more for now...

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10846072_895462827153930_1151866819729171931_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0fbf8721b39a731efaf3c383f6297de9&oe=5BFC801D

That's three months out of twenty years... more to come, and thanks for bringing this topic up to give me the opportunity to archive some details on this interesting history.

2018-08-27 02:39:47 UTC
So you're finally admitting to a lifetime of unmitigated pissbummery? Perhaps you're not quite so brain-dead as I thought.
Me
2018-08-27 02:47:12 UTC
Will, you're undeniably a pissbum.
As I have posted elsewhere, I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, it is what is is.
So you're finally admitting to a lifetime of unmitigated pissbummery? Perhaps you're not quite so brain-dead as I thought.
Finally!!
Itโ€™s about time.
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 03:04:43 UTC
Your opinion of me doesn't change the facts of the discussion this thread is based on, though, Pendragon
So you're finally admitting
I wrote "your opinion of me", Pendragon.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-27 03:28:44 UTC
Hey, "It is what it is," Pissbum.
Will Dockery

And so it goes.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-27 03:37:06 UTC
Hey, "It is what it is,"
Exactly.
Good, then we're agreed. Pissbum it is.
ME
2018-08-27 03:52:19 UTC
I agree, Michael! Pissbum it shall be!!
NancyGene
2018-08-27 14:37:00 UTC
All of those issues and he keeps posting links to the same three, which must be the only ones that exist. Some historical record and one that can't be checked.
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 14:43:42 UTC
No, NG, I just haven't had the time to locate it scan more issues.

And, again as stated... there will be more.

Stay tuned.

๐Ÿ˜€
Cujo DeSockpuppet
2018-08-27 15:02:22 UTC
On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 11:28:45 PM UTC-4, Michael
Post by Michael Pendragon
Hey, "It is what it is,"
Exactly.
Good, then we're agreed. Pissbum it is.
I agree, Michael! Pissbum it shall be!!
All of those issues and he keeps posting links to the same three,
which must be the only ones that exist. Some historical record and
one that can't be checked.
Attribution, dammit. Who gets credit for "pissbum"?
"If you want to remain judged always guilty by God, just hang onto the
OT laws the way that you do." - Georgann on a G*d trip.
NancyGene
We think that its use here originated with Cujo using it as a synonym for Will. ME and Michael have also popularized it so we credit all of them for this highly accurate description of Will. Cujo, you are a master of words and we salute you!
Michael Pendragon
I've certainly borrowed it from Cujo regarding Will. How could I not? -- It's such a perfect fit.
NancyGene
There is a derived word, piss butt, that would also apply to people who live in sheds that don't have plumbing. Pants can be affected.
Cujo DeSockpuppet
2018-08-27 16:27:34 UTC
Post by Michael Pendragon
[...]
I'll confess to first hearing it from police. Not directed at me but
after they had a few drinks in them and amongst themselves doing their
daily war story recital.
"I can't defend the information myself, so I place it out of the realm of
normal reasoning and scrutiny, so that I can proceed to force it on
others without having to endure those normal tests of validity and
application." - Ed defines his posting style.
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 16:00:27 UTC
All of those issues and he keeps posting links to the same three, which must be the only ones that exist. Some historical record and one that can't be checked.
Hard copy issues of Playgrounds Magazine certainly exist... scans are a bit more rare, at present.

Stay tuned... more scans are coming soon.

2018-08-27 03:44:56 UTC
Pendragon, you know I never agree with your malicious misrepresentations.

๐Ÿ˜€
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 15:04:39 UTC
Good point, Cujo.

๐Ÿ˜€
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 16:58:47 UTC
"NancyGene" wrote in message news:30f3e7ca-7868-407b-a37d-***@googlegroups.com...

If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do
permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available
anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual
magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and
issue.

As I wrote, three months have been scanned and archived, and more will
follow.

Stay tuned.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-27 17:27:32 UTC
If this was published for 20 years and had a 10,000 copy run each month, do
permanent copies of these exist? We don't see them on eBay or available
anywhere. Will's screen shots only show the cover. If this was an actual
magazine, back copies should be archived somewhere with volume number and
issue.
As I wrote, three months have been scanned and archived, and more will
follow.
Stay tuned.
Whooooooooooooosh!

How many hard copies survive, Will?

You've got a collection packed up in your shed, and you've said that one of the editors/publishers maintains a collection as well. That makes a grand total of two copies for nearly every issue. Let's assume that some of the other writers/interviewees held onto the issue they appeared in. And, let's be generous and say that approximately 5 copies of each issue remain. That's 5 out of a print run of 10,000, or ... 9,995 packets of fish-wrap.
Will Dockery
2018-08-27 17:38:20 UTC
I have no idea how many copies survive, Pendragon... I have a set, Vickie
Caron has a set, and at least two local libraries have collected issues.
Michael Pendragon
2018-08-27 17:49:56 UTC
I have no idea how many copies survive, Pendragon... I have a set, Vickie
Caron has a set, and at least two local libraries have collected issues.
The point is that it's not the sort of publication one hangs on to. It's 100% disposable with a shelf life of approximately 1 month.