"Making It Write," a poem by NancyGene
2020-06-30 10:27:55 UTC
Making It Write*
a poem by NancyGene

I met this guy, we wined and danced.
We could have been Bacall and Bogie,
a modern day Liz and Dick,
which he was and my name is Marie.

He said he was a poet, so that was a tip
he was looking for someone to pay
his bills because no poetry sells
but bullshit yells here on Broadway.

I purred to him that I too was a poet
to see how fast he’d evaporate
but surprisingly he urged me to recite
one of my better poems to date:

My cat has pink ears
My car is in arrears
My ex is a toad,
Whoa, my car was just towed.

He winced and said that he really should go;
we had little in common, we both knew.
I’ve forgotten his poems, our dancing and wine--
I have written him off but I can’t misconscrew.

*Inspired by Edward Rochester’s poem “Write or Wrong.”
Edward Rochester Esq.
Funny stuff, NG..I'd call him back, see if there has been any improvement, poetry wise.
ME
I’d call that a write off and consider myself lucky.
NancyGene
2020-06-30 21:50:51 UTC
[...]
We don't know how to advise the speaker. On the one hand, Edward thinks she should give the poet a call--maybe he has sold a poetry book and can now move out of his mom's basement. On the other hand, maybe he hasn't. Of course she always has her own, most excellent poetry to rely on.