Beatnik Buddhism in Jack Kerouac's The Dharma Bums
2020-03-30 23:40:16 UTC
Beatnik Buddhism in Jack Kerouac's The Dharma Bums

https://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1125&context=engl_fac

******** "Pastoral and Utopia, Visionary Conceptions of the Good Life." This book's
triumphant celebration of free love, wilderness adventures, bohemian companionship, and Buddhist
meditation made a perfect fit.

************Kerouac discovered Buddhism by way of Henry David Thoreau: "Well I went to the library to read
Thoreau. I said, 'I'm going to cut out from civilization and go back and live in the woods like
Thoreau.' And I started to read Thoreau and he talked about Hindu philosophy. So I put Thoreau down
and I took out, accidentally, The Life of Buddha by Ashvagosa."

***********This led him to Dwight Goddard's 1932 collection of Classic sutras, The Buddhist Bible, bound with leather, carried in his rucksack, studied methodically, quoted and paraphrased,
and publicized among his friends and later to readers of The Dharma Bums.[

**************The words of the book's title, Dharma Bums, epitomize Beat spirituality. The pairing of Classical Sanskrit
and contemporary American slang typifies the Beats' yoking of sacred and profane, exalted and base, the
law and the outlaw. Kerouac draws attention to the phrase several times near the beginning of the book:
at this time I was a perfect Dharma Bum myself and considered myself a religious wanderer.(5)
[10]
the little St. Teresa bum [whom he encounters hopping a freight from L.A. to Santa Barbara] was
the first genuine Dharma Bum I'd met, and the second was the number one Dharma Bum of them
all and in fact it was he, Japhy Ryder, who coined the phrase

************************
k***@gmail.com
2020-03-31 10:21:36 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
So emulate Kerouac and read about Buddhism:

http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/en/index.php?cat=11
Loretta Liverspots
George Sulzbach emulates Kerouac's drinking, but that's about all.
Zod-The...@none.i2p
That's not true. I also emulate his drug use.
Will Dockery
2020-04-02 18:38:41 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
<troll snipped>
That is why you are not a Buddhist
<troll snipped>

That's pretty funny, one impostor troll arguing with another impostor troll.

What fools they be......
Clay Dockery
We know. There is nothing Buddhist about George Sulzbach other than his worship of an obese man.
Zod
2020-05-26 19:57:00 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
We know xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You are an anonymous lying cowards troll, you know nothing.....
Conley Brothers
Oh fuck, that is funny. Line of the week so far.
Handy Sandy
Haha
Will Dockery
Are you calling me fat?
Rocky
2020-06-01 23:42:34 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Are you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shut up, forger....
Zod
2020-05-30 05:15:00 UTC
Post by Rocky
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
I thank you, I am studying more now.....
That was xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shut up, fake Doc.....!
Z***@none.i2p
Note that Nova BBS identifies this troll as "Koko".....
Z***@none.i2p
"......Life only avails, not the having lived. Power ceases in the instant of repose; it resides in the moment of transition from a past to a new state, in the shooting of the gulf, in the darting to an aim. Thus one fact the world hates, that the soul becomes......" --R.W. Emerson
ME
That is one mans take on it.
Z***@none.i2p

You do not even now who Emerson is, do you......?
ME
2020-04-01 19:18:21 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
ME[8
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Yes I do.
But that’s his take on things.
And many other great writers have given their opinions on life.
But one shouldn’t base their lives on the sayings and personal writings and opinions of others.
You read, understand and incorporate the opinions of others that are good examples of a fulfilling life.
Z***@none.i2p
2020-04-01 19:24:02 UTC
ME[8
Post by Z***@none.i2p
ME[8
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Lots of other writers
Can you name one or two......?
Z***@none.i2p
I shall and I thank you......
Rocky
You are correct I will grant you Ktell……...
Rocky
I have one good book I recently located, more details later....
Rocky
Conley Brothers
You should study how Buddhism forbids someone to be a drunk. You can't serve 2 Masters.
Will Dockery

You very likely know nothing of such maters, forger.....
Zod
He is a forging fool, little else.....
Zod
2020-05-28 22:02:00 UTC
Post by Rocky
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
You should xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do not take advice from forging trolls, impostr fool......
Zod

I drink far less than fools like you claim, liar....!!
Zod
2020-05-26 06:36:00 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Check this out, Ktell.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharma_Bum_Temple

***********Dharma Bum Temple is an American Buddhist temple in San Diego, California. The temple was founded on New Year's Eve in 2006 by a group of three people. The temple was originally called the Dharma Bum Center, officially changing its name to Dharma Bum Temple in September 2008. It has its roots in Taiwanese Buddhism but identifies with ecumenical Buddhism, or interdenominational Buddhism********************
Zod
2020-05-26 07:05:00 UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecumenical_creeds

********The term ecumenical[12] can refer to efforts by Christians of different church traditions to develop closer relationships and better understandings. The term is also often used to refer to efforts towards the visible and organic unity of different Christian churches in some form******

This can be used in reference to any belief....
Rocky
I have been slowly evolving into this, I thank you, Ktell….
Zod
I have looked at this quite a bit, great stuff ....
Zod
Follow the lighted path...
Zod
A great start for newbies....
Heathcliff
I have been reading some old Herman Hesse...
Michael Pendragon
2020-06-17 00:29:53 UTC
Post by Heathcliff
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Hermann Hesse has been dead for over half a century, Stink.

Just what constitutes *new* Hermann Hesse?
Zod
2020-06-17 00:46:00 UTC
Old as in already read by me...
Z***@none.i2p
2020-04-01 19:32:39 UTC
Yes, ME......

Can you name 2 or 3 of your favorite poets....?

Don't be shy......
Hieronymous Corey
2020-04-01 19:34:39 UTC
Don’t be a dick.
Hieronymous Corey
2020-04-01 19:42:55 UTC
Hieronymous Corey wrote on Wed, 01 April 2020 19:34
Post by Z***@none.i2p
Yes, ME......
Can you name 2 or 3 of your favorite poets....?
Don't be shy......
Don't be a dick.
I'm not Richard...... I am Zod....
Post by Z***@none.i2p

"KALEIDOSCOPE" with host Will Dockery. Special guest artist General Zod aka George Sulzbach. "KALEIDOSCOPE" is an art show featuring local artists from the Chattahoochee Valley and surrounding areas. Created and produced by Rusty Wood for EATV 7.
Ha ha ha.....
You sure act like a dick.
Zod
2020-11-06 02:55:34 UTC
http://youtu.be/nla61NcT9Wo
Why are you so angry, Pastor Corey....?
Z***@none.i2p
2020-04-01 19:47:27 UTC
Beatnik Buddhism in Jack Kerouac's The Dharma Bums

[url
https://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1125&context=engl_fac[/url]

Still more of my point.........
Hieronymous Corey
Again, not yours.
Z***@none.i2p
2020-04-01 19:53:50 UTC
My point was made to the impostor troll, P.C.
Hieronymous Corey
2020-04-01 19:56:02 UTC
Bullshit. You were just acting like a dick.
k***@gmail.com
2020-04-01 20:00:40 UTC
If Corey says you're behaving like a dick, you most likely are. Corey is not a gratuitous troller. Leave ME alone; she has enough on her mind.
ME
2020-04-01 20:08:33 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
My point was made to the impostor troll, P.C.
Bullshit. You were just acting like a dick.
If Corey says you're behaving like a dick, you most likely are. Corey is not a gratuitous troller. Leave ME alone; she has enough on her mind.
Hi Karen. Maybe if enough of us ask zod for reasonable and rational responses, he’ll curtail his behavior of constant trolling and spamming the rest of us.
I’m taking a break from the real world for a little while. And, as I’ve explained before, aapc is one of my guilty pleasures.
I do enjoy the prose that you share with us. You do have a talent with verse.
Some I’ve had to read a few times and then, when I get, I’m like “Damn, why didn’t I get the first time?”.
k***@gmail.com
2020-04-01 20:15:34 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
My point was made to the impostor troll, P.C.
Bullshit. You were just acting like a dick.
If Corey says you're behaving like a dick, you most likely are. Corey is not a gratuitous troller. Leave ME alone; she has enough on her mind.
Hi Karen. Maybe if enough of us ask zod for reasonable and rational responses, he’ll curtail his behavior of constant trolling and spamming the rest of us.
I’m taking a break from the real world for a little while. And, as I’ve explained before, aapc is one of my guilty pleasures.
I do enjoy the prose that you share with us. You do have a talent with verse.
Some I’ve had to read a few times and then, when I get, I’m like “Damn, why didn’t I get the first time?”.
I'm glad you like my attempts at verse. Poetry and aapc are guilty pleasures and I'm not sure they're good for me. I'm sure your life is a little crazy now.

Sometimes when Zod sasses you even I think he is behaving like a dick.
ME
2020-04-01 20:29:24 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by ME
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Everyone’s life is little off kilter right now. I do my part behind the scene; online, phone calls and making rich people feel guilty!! We all have to do our part right now. That’s what my country is all about.
Hope you are staying safe and enjoying your time at home.
k***@gmail.com
Now I feel guilty. I consider us slightly rich and very lucky.
ME
2020-04-01 22:47:20 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by ME
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by ME
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
No need to feel guilty as long as you give back.
I just meant that I can all on friends and company’s to give to a cause.
Z***@novabbs.i2p
My apologies to you, Ktell......
k***@gmail.com
As ET said "be good" and stay healthy. ME is a good person even if you find her cranky; be kind. Kindness is my favorite virtue.
Z***@none.i2p
2020-04-01 22:06:42 UTC
ktellefsen2 wrote on Wed, 01 April 2020 21:43
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Simple plan is ME stays clear of me and I shall do the same with her......

Fair enough....?
ME
2020-04-01 22:48:48 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Your best bet is to get on that Greyhound zod.
Just saying.........
And so it goes!!!!!!!!
Rocky Balbubba
2020-04-01 23:50:56 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
I plan to, but even on the Greyhound I can respond to troll posts....

If you and the other trolls would ignore and forget me, then I would take my vacation in peace....
Zod-The...@none.i2p
They won't let me into Florida as I'm a big Corona risk.
Brother Dave Dockery
Living in your tramp camp, you got a lit more diseases than Corona to give people you little skank.
Rocky Balbubba
And I give them freely as it's the Dharma Bum way.
Dharma Man
2020-04-03 21:44:12 UTC
On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 5:35:08 PM UTC-4, Rocky Balbubba wrot
Post by Rocky Balbubba
And I give
Shut up you lying identity thief fool....
Rocky Balbubba
2020-04-03 21:36:40 UTC
Post by Brother Dave Dockery
Living in your
Shut up you fucking fool, identity thief....
Rocky Balbubba
If ME ignores and forgets me, then I can do the same for her....
Michael Pendragon
2020-04-02 05:16:18 UTC
Post by Rocky Balbubba
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
I'm sure that we would all love to ignore and (especially) forget you, Stink.

Let's set noon tomorrow as the cut-off time.

No one will post about you or respond to any of your posts after noon tomorrow.

And you stop posting at noon tomorrow.

Let's see who breaks first.
Z***@none.i2p
2020-04-02 05:33:08 UTC
Michael Pendragon wrote on Thu, 02 April 2020 05:16
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by Rocky Balbubba
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Well, be my guest....

Now, go play with your imaginary fairy friends, Voodoo Boy.....
ME
2020-04-03 22:52:29 UTC
Post by Rocky Balbubba
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Hieronymous Corey
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Damn Michael, I forgot about this.
I’ll try to adhere to it, henceforth.
H***@novabbs.i2p

Do that....
Rocky
ME may have some good points a shame she does not show them here....
ME
2020-04-01 19:57:07 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
My point was made to the impostor troll, P.C.
You didn’t clarify a point to anyone zod.
That is your problem zod.
You don’t really ever make a point. You throw out obscure rhetoric and then try to claim it as your opinion on something, but usually it’s off the mark of the actual conversation.
Will Dockery
2020-05-26 08:06:51 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
**************The words of the book's title, Dharma Bums, epitomize Beat spirituality. The pairing of Classical Sanskrit
and contemporary American slang typifies the Beats' yoking of sacred and profane, exalted and base, the
at this time I was a perfect Dharma Bum myself and considered myself a religious wanderer.(5)
[10]
the little St. Teresa bum [whom he encounters hopping a freight from L.A. to Santa Barbara] was
the first genuine Dharma Bum I'd met, and the second was the number one Dharma Bum of them
all and in fact it was he, Japhy Ryder, who coined the phrase
I was sorry to learn that Al Hinkle, the last of the original Beats still alive, finally passed away recently, at 92:

https://www.beatdom.com/al-hinkle/

"I love having lived my life with liberty and freedom. I guess Jack was right; here I am today, 85 years old, the 'last man standing' as they call me, only with my own Facebook page instead of a bench outside the Silver Dollar, telling my tales to a whole new generation of 'youngsters' from all around the world who understand and respect what the Beats stood for. I am honored to be a part of it all," Hinkle said.
Zod
Sad.... but at least A.H. lived a long and poetry filled life....
Zod
Well put....
Zod
I tip my hat to another Beat poet gone to the undiscovered country...
Zod
Indeed, and good find.....
Will Dockery
2020-05-29 22:58:36 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Only two or three of the original Beat poets are still alive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Beat_Generation_writers
Rocky
Ferlinghetti is now 101 years old....!
Will Dockery
2020-05-30 21:00:50 UTC
Post by Rocky
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Yes, Al Hinkle wasn't the last of the Beat Generation poets, though, as, amazingly, Lawrence Ferlinghetti is still with us at 101 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Ferlinghetti

Gary Snyder at 90 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Snyder

Joyce Johnson at 85 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Johnson

And, relative youngster Anne Waldman, who is only 75 years young:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Waldman

To name several, there may be more Beat poets left alive, someone could fact check this.

:)
Rocky
Excellent info....
Rocky
Further study is warranted...
Terrance (Terrance Stomp)
Interesting person, and beat poet.....
Will Dockery
It should be noted that Kerouac's Beat Buddhism isn't traditional Buddhism.
Hieronymous Corey
“Beat Buddhism” is a fictional construct. It isn’t even a thing.
Will Dockery
No, Jack Kerouac and his beliefs were real.
Hieronymous Corey
2020-11-07 19:04:30 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Kerouac’s beliefs were cobbled from an amalgam
of spiritual influences, and filtered through the
alcoholic haze that eventually took his life.
Will Dockery
I'd call Kerouac "eclectic".
Usenet Editor
I'd call you a morbidly obese moron with no social abilities and poor hygiene. In fact, I will and suspect many would agree.
Hieronymous Corey
2020-11-07 19:23:18 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
I don’t know that he meets the clinical requirements to be considered
morbidly obese. I do know that you don’t possess that information either.
Will Dockery
2020-11-07 20:55:44 UTC
Post by Hieronymous Corey
I don’t know that he meets the clinical requirements to be considered
morbidly obese. I do know that you don’t possess that information either.
Here I was Thursday night, I don't seem very morbid, in my opinion:

https://www.facebook.com/ellen.horn.77/videos/10224421650229542
Hieronymous Corey
2020-11-07 20:58:50 UTC
Post by Hieronymous Corey
I don’t know that he meets the clinical requirements to be considered
morbidly obese. I do know that you don’t possess that information either.
https://www.facebook.com/ellen.horn.77/videos/10224421650229542
Morbidly obese is a clinical determination based on
a specific set of criteria, and isn’t a matter of opinion.
Will Dockery
2020-11-07 21:02:15 UTC
Post by Hieronymous Corey
I don’t know that he meets the clinical requirements to be considered
morbidly obese. I do know that you don’t possess that information either.
https://www.facebook.com/ellen.horn.77/videos/10224421650229542
Morbidly obese is a clinical determination based on
a specific set of criteria, and isn’t a matter of opinion.
My doctor has never called me that.

That’s a good thing. What’s your height/weight?
Will Dockery
2020-11-07 21:20:27 UTC
Post by Hieronymous Corey
I don’t know that he meets the clinical requirements to be considered
morbidly obese. I do know that you don’t possess that information either.
https://www.facebook.com/ellen.horn.77/videos/10224421650229542
Morbidly obese is a clinical determination based on
a specific set of criteria, and isn’t a matter of opinion.
My doctor has never called me that.
:)
That’s a good thing. What’s your height/weight?
I'm six feet and two inches, I'll need to weigh myself at Walmart later tonight.

What weight should I be at six foot two?
Hieronymous Corey
How much do you think you weigh, approximately?
Hieronymous Corey
Will Dockery
2020-11-07 23:37:31 UTC
Post by Hieronymous Corey
I don’t know that he meets the clinical requirements to be considered
morbidly obese. I do know that you don’t possess that information either.
https://www.facebook.com/ellen.horn.77/videos/10224421650229542
Morbidly obese is a clinical determination based on
a specific set of criteria, and isn’t a matter of opinion.
My doctor has never called me that.
:)
That’s a good thing. What’s your height/weight?
I'm six feet and two inches, I'll need to weigh myself at Walmart later tonight.
What weight should I be at six foot two?
How much do you think you weigh, approximately?
Again, I'm not skinny by any measure... I must be about 270-275 pounds.

By the way, Corey, my friend Ellen gave me a "Weslo CardioStride 4.0", which seems to be helping me:

https://www.amazon.com/Weslo-CardioStride-Manual-Treadmill-Training/dp/B01L1G9NV8/ref=asc_df_B01L1G9NV8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459723088765&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17309488810018097712&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011446&hvtargid=pla-944449164883&psc=1

2020-11-07 22:44:32 UTC
I don’t know that he meets the clinical requirements to be considered
morbidly obese. I do know that you don’t possess that information either.
https://www.facebook.com/ellen.horn.77/videos/10224421650229542
Morbidly obese is a clinical determination based on
a specific set of criteria, and isn’t a matter of opinion.
My doctor has never called me that.
:)
That’s a good thing. What’s your height/weight?
I'm six feet and two inches, I'll need to weigh myself at Walmart later tonight.
What weight should I be at six foot two?
How much do you think you weigh, approximately?
Oh, I'm not skinny by any measure... I must be about 270-275.

2020-11-07 19:19:18 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Okay, if you say so, but if Kerouac is eclectic, then
“Beat Buddhism” must be a fictional construct.
Usenet Editor
That is true and anyone that looks to Kerouac as some sort of deity or even an example to live up to is deluded. He claimed to be a Buddhist from 1953 to 1956 but it appears that was a farce given his lifestyle. George Sulzbach follows a romanticized fictional version of Kerouac. The reality is he was an asshole drunk that was beaten up in bar fights and died from alcoholism while living with his mother. No wonder Dockery looks up to him. When you get down to it, Will still lives with his mother.
Hieronymous Corey
Will Dockery
2020-11-07 21:26:26 UTC

Will Dockery