SND (1969) 19/08/04
2019-08-04 10:47:38 UTC
The Stooges, 1969
( (Dave Alexander, Ron Asheton, Scott Asheton, Iggy Stooge [Iggy Pop]).

Well, it's 1969, okay,
All across the USA.
There's nothing here for me and you.
We're just sitting here with nothing to do.
[...]

Will Dockery
2019-08-04 11:33:28 UTC
The Stooges, 1969
( (Dave Alexander, Ron Asheton, Scott Asheton, Iggy Stooge [Iggy Pop]).
Well, it's 1969, okay,
All across the USA.
There's nothing here for me and you.
We're just sitting here with nothing to do.
[...]
http://youtu.be/w4Ekgq8W3mI

In The Year 2525 Zager & Evans

"Released July 11th 1969... #1 U.S. Billboard Hot 100, #1 UK Singles Chart... Fifty years ago, this song started it's six-week run on the U.S. Billboard charts at #1..."
George J. Dance
2019-08-04 13:00:18 UTC
http://youtu.be/nBO3mPTGuMo
In The Year 2525 Zager & Evans
"Released July 11th 1969... #1 U.S. Billboard Hot 100, #1 UK Singles Chart... Fifty years ago, this song started it's six-week run on the U.S. Billboard charts at #1..."
A great song from that summer; even more so because Simon & Garfunkel didn't have an album out that year, and Z&E looked were stepping up to take care of that part of the music.

I liked that it's science fiction (which /2001/ had popularized in the general culture), but didn't like the dystopian message. I can reply to either here; you've made me think of both a science fiction song and an optimistic, utopian one. So I'll post both.

First, here's the utopian one:

Aquarius / Let the Sunshine In
(lyrics by Rado & Ragni)

When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars,
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
[...]

George J. Dance
2019-08-04 13:15:56 UTC
[...]
http://youtu.be/kjxSCAalsBE
And here's the science fiction one your selection reminded me of:

David Bowie, Space Oddity

""Space Oddity" is a song written and recorded by David Bowie. It was first released as a 7-inch single on 11 July 1969.... The release was timed by the record company to align with the moon landing, and so Bowie was considered for a time a novelty act, especially since he would not have another hit for three years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Oddity
Will Dockery
2019-08-04 13:23:19 UTC
http://youtu.be/iYYRH4apXDo
""Space Oddity" is a song written and recorded by David Bowie. It was first released as a 7-inch single on 11 July 1969.... The release was timed by the record company to align with the moon landing, and so Bowie was considered for a time a novelty act, especially since he would not have another hit for three years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Oddity
More 1969 outer space/Moon landing work, this one would come on the radio late at night a few tomes in late Summer 1969, but it took me many years to identify it:

John Stewart - Armstrong
Will Dockery
Good one, although I don't remember hearing it until it was re-released a couple of years later.
Will Dockery

I'd have to check but I think Donovan put out "Atlantis" on 1969..?
Will Dockery
2019-08-05 11:56:40 UTC
[...]
Yes:

"Donovan 'Atlantis'... Released as a single in November of 1968 (UK) and in March of 1969 (US)."

Song
Atlantis (2005 Remastered Version)

Artist
Donovan

Album
Barabajagal

Writers
Donovan

Will Dockery
2019-08-04 13:24:53 UTC

http://youtu.be/LiDc9S0zIdM

John Stewart - Armstrong
Will Dockery
2019-08-04 13:26:03 UTC
[...]
More 1969 outer space/Moon landing work, this one would come on the radio late at night a few times in late Summer 1969, but it took me many years to identify it:

http://youtu.be/LiDc9S0zIdM

John Stewart - Armstrong
George J. Dance
2019-08-04 13:38:00 UTC
[...]
I like that a lot. It has a very lefty political message ("We can't feed our children or clean up the planet, but we spend money putting a man on the moon"), but it doesn't hit the listener over the head with it; and the last verse makes it more than just propaganda.

The moon landing was the big event of the year, and there were a lot of tie-ins. Here's the Byrds' homage:

Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins

And here's one that ties in only because the group took the name of the lunar base camp, "Tranquility Base," as its name:

Will Dockery
2019-08-04 13:47:10 UTC
The Stooges, 1969
( (Dave Alexander, Ron Asheton, Scott Asheton, Iggy Stooge [Iggy Pop]).
Well, it's 1969, okay,
All across the USA.
There's nothing here for me and you.
We're just sitting here with nothing to do.
[...]
http://youtu.be/w4Ekgq8W3mI
Yes, the Summer of 1969 was rocking, and the Rolling Stones made us aware of those honky tonk women, who sometimes no doubt found themselves strolling the truck stop ad the trailer park from time-to-time:

General Zod

Galveston by Glen Campbell was 1969 I do recall....
George J. Dance
2019-08-05 02:58:34 UTC
The Stooges, 1969
( (Dave Alexander, Ron Asheton, Scott Asheton, Iggy Stooge [Iggy Pop]).
Well, it's 1969, okay,
All across the USA.
There's nothing here for me and you.
We're just sitting here with nothing to do.
[...]
http://youtu.be/w4Ekgq8W3mI
God thread....
Galveston by Glen Campbell was 1969 I do recall....
Yes, it was: Campbell's greatest song IMO:

Johnny Galt
2019-08-05 02:39:25 UTC
So much good in 1969....

Johnny Cash... Boy Named Sue, on rhs country side of the fence....

CASH was big up north in my youth....
George J. Dance
2019-08-05 03:13:07 UTC
Post by Johnny Galt
So much good in 1969....
Johnny Cash... Boy Named Sue, on rhs country side of the fence....
Yes, that was big and deserves to be in the thread (even if it is "light verse" in the manner of Robert Service):

There was a lot of good country music on the radio that year.
Post by Johnny Galt
CASH was big up north in my youth....
Well, if you mention "Cash" and "North" in the same sentence, you're going to have to expect someone to mention this classic from 1969:

Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash, "Girl from the North Country"
(Johnny Cash)

See for me if her hair's hanging down;
It curls and falls all down her breast.
See for me that her hair's hanging down;
That's the way I remember her best.
[...]

Johnny Galt
2019-08-05 03:21:24 UTC
Yes, that was big and deserves to be in the thread (even if it is "light verse" in the manner of Robert Service): http://youtu.be/_Gbtm-93oqE
http://youtu.be/g77wH68dFC8
Oh yeah that is a classic.....
Will Dockery
2019-08-05 03:02:16 UTC
Amazing year for music.

Did Pat Boone or Tiny Tim record anything of note in 1969?

2019-08-05 03:24:54 UTC
Amazing year for music.
Did Pat Boone or Tiny Tim record anything of note in 1969?
:)
LOL! Not that I know of. But another Pig Pen favorite, Frankie Laine, had a big hit that year with a Marty Robbins song, "You Gave me a Mountain". I can't stand the lyrics - it sounds like an OTT country-song parody that outparodies my "Country Wife". But Laine's got a powerful voice and a charismatic presence; I can see some of what Pig Pen sees in him.

Johnny Galt
2019-08-05 03:26:58 UTC
Amazing year for music.
Did Pat Boone or Tiny Tim record anything of note in 1969?
:)
LOL! Not that I know of. But another Pig Pen favorite, Frankie Laine, had a big hit that year with a Marty Robbins song, "You Gave me a Mountain". I can't stand the lyrics - it sounds like an OTT country-song parody that outparodies my "Country Wife". But Laine's got a powerful voice and a charismatic presence; I can see some of what Pig Pen sees in him.
http://youtu.be/pOvnCXRzODg
I liked F.L. version of Maxwell's Silver Hammer... the original was 1969 of course, ABBEY ROAD.....