Self Portrait / Will Dockery
2017-12-29 16:16:23 UTC

From whatever pieces are handy,

2017-12-29 16:46:30 UTC
From whatever pieces are handy,
Like a reality that does not care.
Squint my eyes,
stoned in the glare.
Covered in patches
I'll have a Brandy Alexander.
Face like cut granite
stand me in some court square.
-Will Dockery / 2002
I like this one a lot; too bad it has to be saved for a latr book.

The writing, especially the opening, reminds me of /The Fountainhead/; were you reading that around that time?
Will Dockery
2017-12-30 12:39:34 UTC
Self Portrait
I'm an artist,
a sculptor,
my face is the granite.
Watch me
see me build myself anew.
I see my face
crumble and dissolve
like idiot solvent.
These wrinkled eyes
seek out the idiot.
I create... myself.
From whatever pieces are handy,
and I walk---
a Golem with words to spare.
Like a pigmy--
like smoke in the air.
Like a reality that does not care.
Squint my eyes,
stoned in the glare.
Covered in patches
I'll have a Brandy Alexander.
Face like cut granite
stand me in some court square.
-Will Dockery / 2002
I like this one a lot; too bad it has to be saved for a later book.
I was just having an idea yesterday, that since the "Earlier Poems" book will take a long time to get assembled, why not put out a "Selected Poems", 32 or so of the "Best of Will Dockery", covering the entire 40+ years of my poetry?

"Self Portrait" could certainly fit in such a volume, whic you could selected and edit/publish, if interested.

I got the idea yesterday when I pulled my Isaac Bashevis Singer "Collected Short Stories" volume down of the shelf yesterday for a re-read:

That cover design, coloring, font, everything, is perhaps my all-time favorite book desgn.
The writing, especially the opening, reminds me of /The Fountainhead/; were you reading that around that time?
That book, and Ayn Rand, was a big influence on me long before the Right Wing (wrongly, in my opinion) took that note, more on that later.

As you know, Ayn Rand and her artistry/philosophy is a favorite topic of mine.

:)
m***@gmail.com
2017-12-30 16:20:14 UTC
Self Portrait
I'm an artist,
a sculptor,
my face is the granite.
Watch me
see me build myself anew.
I see my face
crumble and dissolve
like idiot solvent.
These wrinkled eyes
seek out the idiot.
I create... myself.
From whatever pieces are handy,
and I walk---
a Golem with words to spare.
Like a pigmy--
like smoke in the air.
http://www.thebookasylum.com/shop_image/product/000810_0cc62a2bf9a402c2b18f4f4b3d1b3783.jpg
Keating and Toohey discussing Rand -- Oh, the irony!
Will Dockery
2017-12-30 16:34:53 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Self Portrait
I'm an artist,
a sculptor,
my face is the granite.
Watch me
see me build myself anew.
I see my face
crumble and dissolve
like idiot solvent.
These wrinkled eyes
seek out the idiot.
I create... myself.
From whatever pieces are handy,
and I walk---
a Golem with words to spare.
Like a pigmy--
like smoke in the air.
[...]
No, you have it backwards, Pendragon. Clearly, I'm Howard Roark:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountainhead#Howard_Roark
Coco DeSockmonkey
2017-12-30 17:05:57 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Self Portrait
I'm an artist,
a sculptor,
my face is the granite.
Watch me
see me build myself anew.
I see my face
crumble and dissolve
like idiot solvent.
These wrinkled eyes
seek out the idiot.
I create... myself.
From whatever pieces are handy,
and I walk---
a Golem with words to spare.
Like a pigmy--
like smoke in the air.
ROTFLMAO!
Will Dockery
2017-12-30 18:37:11 UTC
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
Post by Will Dockery
Self Portrait
I'm an artist,
a sculptor,
my face is the granite.
Watch me
see me build myself anew.
I see my face
crumble and dissolve
like idiot solvent.
These wrinkled eyes
seek out the idiot.
I create... myself.
From whatever pieces are handy,
and I walk---
a Golem with words to spare.
Like a pigmy--
like smoke in the air.
Like a reality that does not care.
Squint my eyes,
stoned in the glare.
Covered in patches
I'll have a Brandy Alexander.
Face like cut granite
stand me in some court square.
-Will Dockery / 2002
<snip>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountainhead#Howard_Roark
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
ROTFLMAO!
Well, certainly I am closer to Roark's persona than you, no offense, just that Roark is seen as "modernist" rather than "classical":

1.) "Howard Roark... individualistic... who designs modernist [poems] and refuses to compromise with... establishment unwilling to accept innovation..."

2) "Howard Roark is expelled... because he will not adhere to... preference for historical convention in [poetry] design."

3) "Keating hires Roark, whom Francon soon fires for refusing to design a [poem] in the classical style..."

4) "...several [poets]... testify at the trial that Roark is incompetent as an [poet] due to his rejection of historical styles."

5) "At his trial, Roark makes a speech about the value of ego and integrity..."

6) "Roark embodies Rand's egoistic moral ideals..."

7) "Martin Filler said that Roark resembles the Swiss-French modernist architect Le Corbusier..."

8) "It is about one man against the system."

9) "Roark's modernist approach to [poetry] is contrasted with that of most of the other [poets]..."

10) "...tells Roark that the best [poetry] must copy the past rather than innovate or improve."

11) "Roark is unwilling to copy conventional [poetry] styles."

Anyway, I think you see what I mean, and Roark definitely was an inspiration that if I write poetry, I would write it my way, not "by the book", and still do.
Coco DeSockmonkey
2017-12-30 19:17:05 UTC
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
Post by Will Dockery
Self Portrait
I'm an artist,
a sculptor,
my face is the granite.
Watch me
see me build myself anew.
I see my face
crumble and dissolve
like idiot solvent.
These wrinkled eyes
seek out the idiot.
I create... myself.
From whatever pieces are handy,
and I walk---
a Golem with words to spare.
Like a pigmy--
like smoke in the air.
Like a reality that does not care.
Squint my eyes,
stoned in the glare.
Covered in patches
I'll have a Brandy Alexander.
Face like cut granite
stand me in some court square.
-Will Dockery / 2002
<snip>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountainhead#Howard_Roark
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
ROTFLMAO!
I would also never rape anyone.

However, you are a definite Peter Keating type. Your style is derived from Ginsberg, Kerouac, et al., as well as that of the rock musicians who drew on them: BD, Patti Smith, David Bowie, & co.

Your current penchant for the Cento clearly illustrates your "second-hander" tendencies.
Will Dockery
2017-12-30 19:44:11 UTC
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
Post by Will Dockery
Self Portrait
I'm an artist,
a sculptor,
my face is the granite.
Watch me
see me build myself anew.
I see my face
crumble and dissolve
like idiot solvent.
These wrinkled eyes
seek out the idiot.
I create... myself.
From whatever pieces are handy,
and I walk---
a Golem with words to spare.
Like a pigmy--
like smoke in the air.
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
ROTFLMAO!
I would also never rape anyone.
However, you are a definite Peter Keating type.
No, I'm nothing like Keating:

1) "In contrast to the individualistic Roark, Peter Keating is a conformist who bases his choices on what others want..."

I have never done anything anyone wants.

:)

2) "Keating does what others expect rather than follow his personal interests..."

If I were like Keating, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, of the several others of the past week. You and Jim Senetto would have given me my orders and that would be it.

Nope, it ain't me, Pen.

3) "... the neighbor wanted her material possessions and social standing to equal or exceed those of other people. Rand created Keating as an archetype of this motivation, which she saw as the opposite of self-interest."

I am notorious for following my "self-interest", come on, you know that.

4) "Roark's popular, but vacuous, school roommate Peter Keating..."

Again, anyone who reads this newsgroups know that's not me.

I'm not accusing you of being Keating, Pendragon, just saying that he's not me.

Roark is much closer to my personality and philosophy than Keating, I think that is obvious.
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
Your style is derived from Ginsberg, Kerouac, et al., as well as that of the rock musicians who drew on them: BD, Patti Smith, David Bowie, & co.
All considered "modernist poets/artists", and rather than draw on them, these poets simply point to the direction of individualism.
Post by Coco DeSockmonkey
Your current penchant for the Cento clearly illustrates your "second-hander" tendencies.
I wrote one Cento, also two Sonnets this year.

I would hardly call that a "penchant".

:)
Stephan Pickering
2017-12-30 20:06:18 UTC
On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 11:44:12 AM UTC-8, Will Dockery wrote:

Shalom & Boker tov, Will...trolls gleefully enjoy taunting you, especially when it is obvious this troll has never read Ayn Rand's THE FOUNTAINHEAD, and is using a Cliff Notes-like summary to pass off as his own thoughts he can't formulate. Of interest (I'm not sure if it's online anymore), is:

Ayn Rand, 1948. The fountainhead: screenplay [20 June 1948, revisions through 9 September 1948, 'Cast and credits' 6 October 1948], 1-141

And, yes, you are similar to Roark. PaedoDragon flies into a craze when he suspects anyone has read a 'gay' writer...or even bisexual such as Ayn Rand/Alisa Rosenbaum, who slept with male and female students. Also, she was well aware that, in Hebrew, 'ayn'/'ayin' means 'eye'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2017-12-30 20:43:19 UTC
Post by Stephan Pickering
Ayn Rand, 1948. The fountainhead: screenplay [20 June 1948, revisions through 9 September 1948, 'Cast and credits' 6 October 1948], 1-141
And, yes, you are similar to Roark.
I wrote this a while back, that Ayn Rand's statements of the /creator/ always seemed pretty spot on to me:

"Art is a selective recreation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value judgements" -Ayn Rand

I first read Ayn Rand back in 1982, and was floored and enthralled by the adventures and thoughts of the iconic characters of The Fountainhead... Howard Roark, the ultimate spokesman for Creator's Rights, Dominique Franken the strong-willed and elusive Muse, Elsworth Tooey the borrower and colaborator, and so on and on.

And all of these statements by Paul Ryan, I can agree with and chuckle at the irony of roads not taken.

Still fascinating and complicated influence, Ayn Rand. Like Paul Ryan, I can say the same as he dows about the influence of Ayn Rand on my life and art.

A couple of quick quotes from Ayn Rand herself (or rather Howard Roark in The Fountainhead) that made me set the book down and say "Yeah..." and move forward as a creator myself, immediately typing up and self-publishing my first chapbook of poems, my first poetic /skyline/:

http://www.nasonart.com/personal/lifelessons/fountainhead.html

"The creator originates... The creator faces nature alone.
The basic need of the creator is independence. The reasoning mind cannot work under any form of compulsion. It cannot be curbed, sacrificed or subordinated to any consideration whatsoever. It demands total independence in function and in motive. To a creator, all relations with men are secondary... one cannot give that which has not been created. Creation comes before distribution—or there will be nothing to distribute. The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary. Yet we are taught to admire the second-hander who dispenses gifts he has not produced above the man who made the gifts possible. We praise an act of charity. We shrug at an act of achievement." -Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand as a strong woman, absolutely.

Have you read Carson McCullers, who, like Ma Rainey, was a native of this strange place I call Shadowville?
u***@gmail.com
2017-12-30 20:25:40 UTC
Well, certainly I am
<<<Load of shit snipped>>>

Yet you still can't see why most everyone dislikes you. What a tool.
Will Dockery
2017-12-30 17:13:56 UTC
"Who is John Galt?" -Ayn Rand

😀
ME
2017-12-30 17:37:51 UTC
SHFKHTS!
Coco DeSockmonkey
2017-12-30 18:17:57 UTC
"Who is John Galt?" -Ayn Rand
Speaking.
Will Dockery
2017-12-29 20:26:40 UTC
Bumped to the top for Pendragon, here is the poem that might have inspired "Dockery Square".

Basically the same idea, me, frozen in granite, standing in the Village Green.

😀
u***@gmail.com
2017-12-29 21:30:44 UTC
Your poetry never inspired anything in others besides vomit. Lie noted.
Brooke
You forgot laughter, loathing and pity to name a few.
Will Dockery
2017-12-30 14:33:21 UTC
Post by Brooke
Post by Will Dockery
Bumped to the top for Pendragon, here is the poem that might have inspired "Dockery Square".
Basically the same idea, me, frozen in granite, standing in the Village Green.
😀
You forgot laughter, loathing and pity to name a few.
All a part of life, which transforms into art... poetry.

Here is another for you, snce you are obviously fascinated:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/Xa83-RKr8gQ/B8nn9-SpCQAJ

Cheshire Bridge Road / a poem by Will Dockery

2017-12-30 03:13:21 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
Bumped to the top for Pendragon, here is the poem that might have inspired "Dockery Square".
Basically the same idea, me, frozen in granite, standing in the Village Green.
😀
Your poetry never inspired
Obviously not for you, but we already knew that, troll, but the poem seems to have inspired the "Dockery Square", with the similar imagery:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/zUNSCdjW_Zw/uiX3R_0VCQAJ