Unsampled 05/10/20 - Talking Animals
2020-05-11 01:56:50 UTC
Unsampled is an occasional archive of poems on-topic for the Sunday Sampler but not listed there because:
- the writer was banned from the Sampler
- the writer was boycotting the Sampler
- the poem previously appeared on aapc, and was ineligible for the Sampler
- the writer thought the poem was inappropriate for the Sampler
- the writer posted the poem in the Sampler but was given an X

This week's topic - "Talking Animals"
Rocky
I thank you and will type the poem up soon, a rather short one....
Z***@none.i2p
2020-05-14 06:26:02 UTC
Tu-Tu the cat
91 years old
says she's hungry
all of the time.
Niblets of tuna
please hold the rice
on the side.

--Zod
George J. Dance
2020-05-14 14:19:24 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
Tu-Tu the cat
91 years old
says she's hungry
all of the time.
Niblets of tuna
please hold the rice
on the side.
--Zod
Well, that was fun. It's light verse, and I think a reader's appreciation of it would depend as much on the reader's attitude as on the poem itself. In my case, as I say, it was fun; I even enjoyed googling to see what 91 would be in cat years (16.5).

What I enjoyed most was that you've captured a true slice of cat behavior - acting frantically starving before being fed, and a few seconds later deciding it won't eat THAT. "I could eat anything, but that doesn't mean I will."

I'm not sure if you need the last line. Personally I'd have dropped it, to end with the punch line, but I can see a couple of reasons to keep it: it explicitly equates the cat with the fussy restaurant patron; and "on the side" struck me as a pun on the way a cat uses its snout to push the food it doesn't like over to the side of the dish. So I leave it entirely up to you.
k***@gmail.com
I agree, this is a nice little verse.
Rocky
I think you, Karen....
Will Dockery
I always have heard that a "Dog year" is seven for our one... cats are different?
k***@gmail.com
91 could be replaced by 17, which is pretty old for a cat.
Rocky
Tu-Tu was my mother's favorite cat..... gone but never forgotten.......
k***@gmail.com
In Hawaiian pidgin, tu-tu means grandma.
Will Dockery
2020-05-24 21:26:21 UTC
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/7cADMjuRpJs/qPe1jLN2BwAJ

Here is where Zod gives an origin of the cat in the poem.
George J. Dance
Yes, it would be clearer. The idea of a cat who's 91 in chronological years sounds absurd.
Z***@none.i2p
That sounds good, will do...
George J. Dance
2020-05-14 17:07:23 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
Yes and no. Yes, cats' lives don't fit into a formula like "one for seven" because of their much quicker maturity than humans. As Purina UK's website says:
"According to popular legend, one human year is the equivalent of seven ‘cat years’, but in reality, a one-year-old cat is much more mature than a seven-year-old child. Although there’s no reliable scientific way to calculate the relationship between human and cat years, it’s generally agreed that the first two years of a cat’s life are roughly equal to the first 25 of a human’s. After this, each additional year is around four ‘cat years’. "
https://www.purina.co.uk/cats/key-life-stages/ageing/cats-age-in-human-years

But the "one in seven" rule isn't even the rule for dogs. To cite Purina UK again:
"The first two years of a small dog’s life is roughly the same as 12.5 human years, while it’s 10.5 for a medium dog, and nine for large dogs.
Each additional year of the dog’s life is then multiplied by between 4.3 and 13.4 years, depending on the breed, to find their human age."
https://www.purina.co.uk/dogs/key-life-stages/ageing/your-dogs-age-in-human-years
Will Dockery
2020-05-15 02:11:53 UTC
Post by Z***@none.i2p
[...]
My three main cats (there are maybe a dozen local cats who know our yard as a safe haven) are Louie and Princess (cat-sitting them for Dan Barfield since his move out of town in 2007!), twins, one indoor, one out, 13 years-old, and Creampuff, almost exactly 7 years old.

I've been applying the (old wives?) tradition of 7 years for each year, but see now I need to rethink that.

;)
Rocky
Interesting, I thank you....
Rocky
I thank you, G.D.
Rocky
I thank you.... again....
George J. Dance
The poem's worth rereading; it's fun and gently amusing, like a cat; even the name, Tu-tu, matches the mood. If you end up with a book (and I'm not offering to edit one here!), "Tu-tu the cat" should definitely go into it.
Zod
2020-05-23 21:40:00 UTC
I have still yet to type my last poem on Perception......

Maybe tonight.....
George J. Dance
2020-05-24 13:47:22 UTC
Want a Summit "Unsampled"? I haven't written anything, so I'd be inclined to skip it. But if you have a poem to go in there ...
Zod
2020-05-24 17:10:00 UTC
Yes,I now have a backlog of poems..
Rocky
I thank you again G.D.
George J. Dance
2020-05-22 03:11:22 UTC
Post by Rocky
Post by Z***@none.i2p
Tu-Tu the cat
91 years old
says she's hungry
all of the time.
Niblets of tuna
please hold the rice
on the side.
--Zod
I thank you.... again....
Rereading your poem tonight reminded me that I have one where my cat talks; and it's definitely not eligible for the Sampler, as it first appeared in a previous one:

Star Cat
(apologies to David Bowie)

When I wake up I find her watching me,
a tiny statue with a wide-eyed plea.
If I ignore her she gives the most plaintive cry.
I try to touch her but she runs away --
I have to follow -- it's a game we play,
and she enjoys it, she tells me with tail held high.

There's a star cat waiting to be fed;
she's sitting in the kitchen
where her people must be led.
She's a star cat, waiting by her dish.
She has to have her wet food --
always poultry, never fish.
She tells me:
Let her people feed her,
show her people need her,
show her people love her.

Five minutes later and she's back for more,
But now she's crying at my bedroom door.
She can't be hungry, now, dammit: she's just been fed!
So no surprises when she passes through
the kitchen, round a corner, out of view;
it doesn't matter for I know where I'll be led.

There's a star cat in her petting place;
she's waiting by the armchair
that she's rubbing with her face.
She's a star cat, purring up a storm,
motion slow and gentle,
fur so soft and warm.
She tells me:
Let her people pet her,
show they won't forget her,
show her people love her.

There's a star cat roaming round the place;
She's always crying at me and she's always in my face.
She's a star cat, who wants two things alone:
Just to have her people, and just to have her home.
She tells me:
I will love my people.
I will love my people
for my people love me.

- George J. Dance, 2019

Tune: David Bowie, Starman

Z***@none.i2p
2020-05-22 05:59:15 UTC
George J. Dance wrote on Fri, 22 May 2020 03:11
Post by George J. Dance
Post by Rocky
Post by Z***@none.i2p
Tu-Tu the cat
[...]