PPB: By the Sea / Christina Rossetti
2019-08-11 13:45:43 UTC
Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
By the Sea, by Christina Rossetti

Why does the sea moan evermore?
Shut out from heaven it makes its moan,
It frets against the boundary shore;
All earth's full rivers cannot fill
The sea, that drinking thirsteth still.
[...]

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2019/08/by-sea-why-does-sea-moan-evermore-shut.html
Rex Hunter Jr.
2019-08-12 03:24:37 UTC
By the Sea, by Christina Rossetti
Why does the sea moan evermore?
Shut out from heaven it makes its moan,
It frets against the boundary shore;
All earth's full rivers cannot fill
The sea, that drinking thirsteth still.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2019/08/by-sea-why-does-sea-moan-evermore-shut.html
I remember this poet from some group or another....
George J. Dance
She was well-known in her day, for her writing and her family; her brothers Gabriel (Dante) and Michael were also poets. Louis Untermeyer compares her with Emily Dickinson as an influence in her country; I don't know if that's online, but I have a book somewhere with an essay by him in which he starts the era of Modern Poetry with 1830, the year of both women's birth.
Michael Pendragon
That's a very diplomatic way of explaining to Lady Bunny that Christina Rossetti was not a member of the rec.arts.poetry group.
Rex Hunter Jr.
2019-08-14 03:23:09 UTC
Post by Rex Hunter Jr.
Post by George J. Dance
By the Sea, by Christina Rossetti
Why does the sea moan evermore?
Shut out from heaven it makes its moan,
It frets against the boundary shore;
All earth's full rivers cannot fill
The sea, that drinking thirsteth still.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2019/08/by-sea-why-does-sea-moan-evermore-shut.html
I remember this poet from some group or another....
She was well-known in her day, for her writing and her family; her brothers Gabriel (Dante) and Michael were also poets. Louis Untermeyer compares her with Emily Dickinson as an influence in her country; I don't know if that's online, but I have a book somewhere with an essay by him in which he starts the era of Modern Poetry with 1830, the year of both women's birth.
That's a very diplomatic way
Better than your gay lami8ng lying and misogynist way....
Will Dockery
2019-08-14 17:10:57 UTC
Post by Rex Hunter Jr.
Post by George J. Dance
By the Sea, by Christina Rossetti
Why does the sea moan evermore?
Shut out from heaven it makes its moan,
It frets against the boundary shore;
All earth's full rivers cannot fill
The sea, that drinking thirsteth still.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2019/08/by-sea-why-does-sea-moan-evermore-shut.html
I remember this poet from some group or another....
She was well-known in her day, for her writing and her family; her brothers Gabriel (Dante) and Michael were also poets. Louis Untermeyer compares her with Emily Dickinson as an influence in her country; I don't know if that's online, but I have a book somewhere with an essay by him in which he starts the era of Modern Poetry with 1830, the year of both women's birth.
That's a very diplomatic way of explaining to Lady Bunny
Jon Ingle is posting here now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Bunny

"Lady Bunny (born Jon Ingle, August 13, 1962)[1] is an American drag queen, nightclub DJ, promoter and founder of the annual Wigstock event. She has also released disco singles such as 'Shame, Shame, Shame!' and 'The Pussycat Song'..."
Rex Hunter Jr.

No thanks to Pendragon, as usual......
Rex Hunter Jr.
Thnx G.D.
George J. Dance
No prob. BTW, I can't stand "thirsteth Still." It's a tongue=twister that really should have been replaced.
Michael Pendragon
2019-08-14 15:46:53 UTC
Post by Rex Hunter Jr.
Post by George J. Dance
Post by Rex Hunter Jr.
Post by George J. Dance
[...]
I take it your trolling with that remark, Dunce.

The phrase is used to the poem a Biblical feel, and rolls off the tongue without the slightest impediment.

OTOH, the poem as a whole, is a wildly uneven work, alternating snatches of potential brilliance with a lack of discipline, tonal consistency and focus.
Will Dockery
A great example of how you don't "get" modern poetry, Pendragon.
Michael Pendragon
2019-08-14 16:41:13 UTC
By the Sea, by Christina Rossetti
Why does the sea moan evermore?
Shut out from heaven it makes its moan,
It frets against the boundary shore;
All earth's full rivers cannot fill
The sea, that drinking thirsteth still.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2019/08/by-sea-why-does-sea-moan-evermore-shut.html
the poem as a whole, is a wildly uneven work, alternating snatches of potential brilliance with a lack of discipline, tonal consistency and focus
A great example of how you don't "get" modern poetry, Pendragon.
She was a Victorian poet, Willie. I certainly wouldn't call her a "modern."

Funny how you think she was a modern while Stinky George thought she was a member of some other online poetry group.

And, for the record, I consider her one of my literary peers and like some of her other poems better than this one.
Will Dockery
"Louis Untermeyer compares her with Emily Dickinson as an influence in her country; I don't know if that's online, but I have a book somewhere with an essay by him in which he starts the era of Modern Poetry with 1830, the year of both women's birth..." -George Dance
Michael Pendragon
Louis Untermeyer was mistaken; nor does one date a literary era from its (alleged) earliest representatives' birth. AFAIC, "Modern Poetry" (used as a synonym for "Modernist") dates from around 1900 (with a good deal of overlap in both directions).
Will Dockery
Modern poetry goes at least as far back as Rimbaud, but, true, 1910-1917 is often named as the time period that "modern poetry" really got rolling.
George J. Dance
2019-08-14 19:04:51 UTC
"Louis Untermeyer compares her with Emily Dickinson as an influence in her country; I don't know if that's online, but I have a book somewhere with an essay by him in which he starts the era of Modern Poetry with 1830, the year of both women's birth..." -George Dance
Louis Untermeyer was mistaken; nor does one date a literary era from its (alleged) earliest representatives' birth.
I'd prefer to find the book and post the quotation, before saying whether I agree with it or not. If you'd prefer to disagree with it without reading it, that's no skin off anyone else's ass.

Funny: I'd have expected you to claim that there wasn't any "Modernist" poetry in the early 1900s because the concept of "Modernism" didn't exist at the time.
Michael Pendragon
2019-08-14 19:58:46 UTC
"Louis Untermeyer compares her with Emily Dickinson as an influence in her country; I don't know if that's online, but I have a book somewhere with an essay by him in which he starts the era of Modern Poetry with 1830, the year of both women's birth..." -George Dance
Louis Untermeyer was mistaken; nor does one date a literary era from its (alleged) earliest representatives' birth.
I'd prefer to find the book and post the quotation, before saying whether I agree with it or not. If you'd prefer to disagree with it without reading it, that's no skin off anyone else's ass.
I know enough about the history of poetry to realize that Mr. Untermeyer was mistaken (assuming you hadn't misquoted him, of course).
"AFAIC" ("as far as I'm concerned") clearly shows that I am labeling it from my vantage point in 2019. I am not arguing that the "concept" of Modernism existed prior to 1924.
Rex Hunter Jr.
Modern poetry begain with experiments by the Avant Garde, Mina Loy was among them, as was H.D.
Michael Pendragon
Shut up, Todd.
Rex Hunter Jr.
2019-08-15 03:59:55 UTC
[...]