New Poetry Books -- G. K. Chesterton
2020-06-18 01:49:00 UTC
New Poetry Books (new to me that is)--- this book is damn good, filled with a variety of poems...

"Everybody Ought to Know" Edited by Ogden Nash (verses selected and introduced by Ogden Nash. Illustrations by Rose Shirvanian)....

The poem that really knocked me out is one by G. K. Chesterton -- "The Rolling English Road"

*********The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road. A reeling road, a rolling road, that rambles round the shire, And after him the parson ran, the sexton and the squire; A merry road, a mazy road, and such as we did tread. The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head**********
Zod
One thing I dislike about this book "Everybody Ought to Know" Edited by Ogden Nash is the way Ogden Nash just jumbles the poems in, there is no contents page...
George J. Dance
2020-06-18 17:35:36 UTC
*********
The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road.
A reeling road, a rolling road, that rambles round the shire,
And after him the parson ran, the sexton and the squire;
A merry road, a mazy road, and such as we did tread.
The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head
**********

I may be wrong, but I believe the English term for that experience is having a "jolly drunk." I had a few, back in my youth when I drank alcohol; however, I had too many unpleasant evenings balancing those out (so I gave it up). I still remember the feeling, though, and Chesterton calls it up well.

I still drink on occasion, of course; and the last time I got drunk (4 or 5 years ago) I discovered something new: that if I snorted cocaine with the booze, I'd get that "jolly drunk" sensation, magnified, and without all the physical problems (stumbling, slurring) I'd experience with alcohol alone. A good thing to know, in case I decide to do it again in another 5 years.
Zod
Ha ha ha... things do go better with coke,,,,
Peter J Ross
2020-06-21 21:41:01 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 10:35:36 -0700 (PDT),
Post by George J. Dance
I may be wrong,
Congratulations on a correct guess, moron!

μεγάλη ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ὑπερισχύει.
- Esdras A 4.41
George J. Dance
2020-06-22 00:33:18 UTC
Congratulations
Don't mention it.
Hector Heathcliff
2020-06-22 23:34:57 UTC
Congratulations
Don't mention it.
Ha ha ha....
Zod
2020-06-30 00:26:43 UTC
Congratulations
Don't mention it.
Ha ha ha.....
George J. Dance
2020-06-30 00:38:40 UTC
Congratulations
Don't mention it.
Ha ha ha.....
Zod! good to see you back young'un. Speaking of which, check out the "Youth" SND.
Zod
2020-07-01 00:03:05 UTC
Congratulations
Don't mention it.
Ha ha ha.....
Zod! good to see you back young'un. Speaking of which, check out the "Youth" SND.
G.D. you ole cuss, good to see you as well....

I have pretty much left this group to concentrate on my visual arts.....

Though I shall be posting poetry and comments when the need arises....
Van (Van Couver)

Zod
2020-06-18 19:47:00 UTC
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Emmeline Grangerford.
My Ogden Nash poetry book has "The Ashtabula Disaster" by Julia A. Moore who inspired it all... more or less...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_River_railroad_disaster
k***@gmail.com
2020-06-18 20:35:44 UTC
Zod, EG is Twain's parody of morose young lady poetasters in Huckleberry Finn.
George J. Dance
2020-06-18 21:39:02 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Zod
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Emmeline Grangerford.
My Ogden Nash poetry book has "The Ashtabula Disaster" by Julia A. Moore who inspired it all... more or less...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_River_railroad_disaster
Zod, EG is Twain's parody of morose young lady poetasters in Huckleberry Finn.
Yes; Twain based the character's poetry on Moore's.

He once said of Moore that she had "the touch that makes an intentionally humorous episode pathetic and an intentionally pathetic one funny."
Zod
2020-06-18 22:07:00 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Zod
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Emmeline Grangerford.
My Ogden Nash poetry book has "The Ashtabula Disaster" by Julia A. Moore who inspired it all... more or less...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_River_railroad_disaster
Zod, EG is Twain's parody of morose young lady poetasters in Huckleberry Finn.
Yes; Twain based the character's poetry on Moore's.
He once said of Moore that she had "the touch that makes an intentionally humorous episode pathetic and an intentionally pathetic one funny."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_A._Moore#Influence

Mark Twain was a self-described fan of Moore (though not for the reasons Moore would have liked). Twain alluded to her work in Following the Equator, and it is widely assumed that Moore served as a literary model for the character of Emmeline Grangerford in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

And... get this, interesting to me because I am currently reading an Ogden Nash book:

*******************Moore was also the inspiration for comic poet Ogden Nash, as he acknowledged in his first book, and whose daughter reported that her work convinced Nash to become a "great bad poet" instead of a "bad good poet". The Oxford Companion to American Literature describes Nash as using Moore's

hyperdithyrambic meters, pseudo-poetic inversions, gangling asymmetrical lines, extremely pat or elaborately inexact rimes, parenthetical dissertations, and unexpected puns.*********
Will Dockery
2020-06-19 08:09:50 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Zod
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Emmeline Grangerford.
My Ogden Nash poetry book has "The Ashtabula Disaster" by Julia A. Moore who inspired it all... more or less...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_River_railroad_disaster
Zod, EG is Twain's parody of morose young lady poetasters in Huckleberry Finn.
Yes; Twain based the character's poetry on Moore's.
He once said of Moore that she had "the touch that makes an intentionally humorous episode pathetic and an intentionally pathetic one funny."
Interesting case of art imitating life, then Ogden Nash comes back and imitates art all over again.

Convoluted fun...
George J. Dance
2020-06-19 10:52:54 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Zod
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Emmeline Grangerford.
My Ogden Nash poetry book has "The Ashtabula Disaster" by Julia A. Moore who inspired it all... more or less...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_River_railroad_disaster
Zod, EG is Twain's parody of morose young lady poetasters in Huckleberry Finn.
Yes; Twain based the character's poetry on Moore's.
He once said of Moore that she had "the touch that makes an intentionally humorous episode pathetic and an intentionally pathetic one funny."
Interesting case of art imitating life, then Ogden Nash comes back and imitates art all over again.
;)
Convoluted fun...
Oh, indeed.

To get back to the "Rolling English Road," I see we've got a new article on PPP. (In fact we've got a ton of new articles on PPP thanks to topics you've brought up this week - so many I'm not even trying to keep up with them all. I am trying to fix up at least one every day; yesterday it was the turn of the "RER" article. In the process I embedded a couple of videos; a spoken version (read by "Tom O'Bedlam) and a musical one by someone new to me, Maddy Prior; I hope you can listen to this:

Maddy Prior, The Rolling English Road
(lyrics by G.K. Chesterton)

Zod
2020-06-19 10:56:00 UTC
http://youtu.be/xJf4pqnlkgs
Yes, I can listen most of the time, except when I have someone with me and she's sleeping...
Heathcliff
On the Safe House desktop so I can enjoy these now....
Conley Brothers
That desktop is for others to write resumes, do job searches, and apply for jobs. Why are you using it to fuel your flame wars on here? I believe the Safe House should be notified, as this could make them liable in a lawsuit.
Van (Van Couver)
Indeed...
Peter J Ross
2020-06-24 00:32:08 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Wed, 24 Jun 2020 00:22:55 +0000, Van
Post by Van (Van Couver)
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Zod
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Emmeline Grangerford.
My Ogden Nash poetry book has "The Ashtabula Disaster" by
Julia A. Moore who inspired it all... more or less...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_River_railroad_disaster
Zod, EG is Twain's parody of morose young lady poetasters in Huckleberry Finn.
Yes; Twain based the character's poetry on Moore's.
He once said of Moore that she had "the touch that makes an
intentionally humorous episode pathetic and an intentionally
pathetic one funny."
Interesting case of art imitating life, then Ogden Nash comes back
and imitates art all over again.
;)
Indeed...
I notice that your departure from AAPC hasn't stopped you making about
thirty posts (and still counting) with yet another new identity, Plod.

μεγάλη ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ὑπερισχύει.
- Esdras A 4.41
Zod-The-Mighty
2020-07-01 23:46:34 UTC
Post by Van (Van Couver)
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Zod
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Emmeline Grangerford.
My Ogden Nash poetry book has "The Ashtabula Disaster" by
Julia A. Moore who inspired it all... more or less...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_River_railroad_disaster
Zod, EG is Twain's parody of morose young lady poetasters in Huckleberry Finn.
Yes; Twain based the character's poetry on Moore's.
He once said of Moore that she had "the touch that makes an
intentionally humorous episode pathetic and an intentionally
pathetic one funny."
Interesting case of art imitating life, then Ogden Nash comes back
and imitates art all over again.
;)
Indeed...
I notice that your departure from AAPC hasn't stopped you making about
thirty posts (and still counting) with yet another new identity, Plod.
I have not truly "departed" any more than you have, Peter....

I have slowed down to focus more on my paintings and visual arts....

Thank you for caring though....

Ha ha ha..../
Hillbilly Joe
You nailed it G.D.
Zod
Quite fascinating history of this poet....
Zod
2020-06-18 21:25:00 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
Post by Zod
Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Emmeline Grangerford.
My Ogden Nash poetry book has "The Ashtabula Disaster" by Julia A. Moore who inspired it all... more or less...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashtabula_River_railroad_disaster
Zod, EG is Twain's parody of morose young lady poetasters in Huckleberry Finn.
Exactly, that's what I was referring to:

Zod
I do know those good jolly times, yes....
Zod
Twain was a thinker far beyond his time...
Zod
Except that he was correct, Peter....
Conley Brothers
Add "correct guess" to the things George Sulzbach is ignorant about.
Zod
2020-06-22 01:16:13 UTC
Congratulations
Don't mention it.