Chattahoochee Sunset / Will Dockery
2016-03-22 09:31:08 UTC
I referenced Abel Meeropol's poem myself in my poem-song "Chattahoochee Sunset"...

"Strange fruit hanging from the tree, Chattahoochee sunset... going down."

Check out the free download of the day "Chattahoochee Sunset" / Will Dockery - https://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/11459910-chattahoochee-sunset--dockery-mallard?0

Chattahoochee Sunset

A, G, B, A - C, Am, Em, A

On the side of the other side
on the other side of the ferry.
This is the story
of a long lost Mary.

She was gussied up and walking
down a hallway that burned long ago.
At least she's not out on Marathon
turning tricks with light and smoke.

Like the old man says
I hate to see that evening sun go down.
I know because she told me
that chick done went underground.
Going down.

Black hieroglyphic tree stands
Chattahoochee Sunset burning red
Red clover runes as she shakes her head.

On the other side of the mirror
what goes on in her mind.
Exceedingly happy
and sort of overly kind.

She's crossing through the courtyard now
her little high heels clicking.
I'm hiding in the bushes
as the moonlight thickens.

If looks could kill
she'd have done it long ago I found.
Strange fruit hanging from black trees
Chattahoochee Sunset going down.
Going down.

Black hieroglyphic signs
Chattahoochee Sunset going to bed.
Red clover runes as she shakes her head.
Chattahoochee Sunset going down.
Going down.

-Will Dockery (words)
w/ Brian Mallard & Jack Snipe (music)
Rachel
2016-03-22 17:46:29 UTC
[...]
wow, i am a bad influence. (when did you write this? :)?)

i mean, i really really liked this, but when i saw you do it, the strange fruit, i'm like, this doesn't fit. i mean, it's too awful. i don't know how i managed to put those links in rmd about seeing bob dylan. but see, i was changing it in my mind, like it was bob's reaction to me. (bulging eyes). and i mean, since it was the most intense moment in the universe (to me), it *seemed* to merit it...

i really like the repeat, going down...i could almost hear you singing it, and your voice, and a slow sly smile crept to my lips... :) but then when i got to the strange fruit, i was like, no, this doesn't fit into the song, kinda like pop, or too sing-songy perhaps, at the end of the iceman cometh, or even in my poem about my OWN pop (dad/aba), however, i kinda did that on purpose, in iceman, i mean, i didn't WANT TO, but it kinda turned it into a little dramatic joke, whereas initially, the ending seemed much better and more serious, and thus possibly meriting the metaphor of the nuclear holocaust, before i titled it. i TRIED to go back, and put it back the old way, with the intention of changing the title, but i could never recapture the seriousness. (not be seen as a metaphor or message for or about ANYTHING ELSE!!!! i hope...? or maybe not...?)

by the way, i have been accused of that a couple times (if not more, in passing, now forgotten), being too kind....

hey guess what? i went back....and saw it differently. i mean, like black tree, black branch, blood that kept dripping, strange fruit....i like it. :)

maybe it's exactly the same as desolation row, i wonder what it sounds like. sorry, i'm really sorry, i haven't been reading your posts of late :-((((, i don't know any more about this, if you already said. i'm really sorry i'm not a better friend, and drowning in my own narcissism. :-(((
Rachel
okay, i found the link. really anticipating listening... :)
Rachel
i wonder if i heard this before...you took out going down...hmm...
Rachel
i'm beginning to think you really are as bad as lou reed....and mean it....if you know what i mean! :-)
Will Dockery
2016-03-22 17:56:26 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Your LA neighbor Scarlett Johansson seems to be moving down here, I mean RIGHT HERE, so maybe she'll send back a report.

<3

http://www.localnews33.com/columbusgeorgia/scarlett-johansson-moving-to-columbus-georgia/

In a surprise to everyone in Los Angeles and certainly everyone in Columbus, Georgia, Hollywood actress Scarlett Johansson announced today in an interview that she was moving to Columbus. Scarlett said that she was "tired of the L.A. lifestyle" and wanted to "live in a place where people are just people and whose sincerity you don't have to always question".

Johansson recently visited the area for a few days and, according to her publicist, "Scarlett immediately fell in love with the relaxed southern lifestyle, the friendly people, and the beautiful scenery of the Columbus area and was telling everyone that she was going to move there."

"This feels like the place I need to be at this time in my life," Scarlett told the magazine. "I'm looking at houses on the Chattahoochee River. I just think it's such a beautiful area and it would be a nice change of pace for me."

Maybe she'll come to one of my shows, for reals.

Or... can this be some kind of elaborate and early April Fool's joke?!?

:)
Rachel
2016-03-22 18:13:52 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
hey guess what? you know when i thought about being friends with her...? (like connecting/relating etc..) (just very cautiously, not like ooh i love you you're my best friend or something, but like, connecting over suffering and similar circumstances?) after i thought my email was hacked, and everyone was looking at my awful naked pictures, and btw, this was confirmed even worse what was possible, that miss teen usa, they hacked her computer camera, and caught her naked etc... and ABC said, put black tape over your camera, which i did, but now i just didn't believe it anymore, or now, i would say, care... :-/// (i hope this doesn't come back to humiliate me, but what can you do? ??) anyway, so then i found out about her, and i thought i saw her once, in a car, coming out of cvs, i can't remember if this was before or after i thought about her, but anyway, i mean, i just thought maybe we felt the same, about being violated, and it might be nice, it was really vague, for a minute or two, just like, maybe we could connect, cuz of that. it was way after it happened (the start of "the hiatus" as i call it, which i described more below.)

i was so alone.

i was in so much pain.

i literally, except for my postcards, would just stand or walk around my house, and go for long walks. (my back was so bad i couldn't sit. i was exhausted.)

the only thing that sustained me was those postcards.

and sort of the computer. er. janice's visions of bob. first something painful. then very slowly, a rectification of the pain, being or meaning something nice. and i never could get used to it. i could never say to myself, be patient, they will fix it in follow-up pics, explain (in pics), etc... i could never say Why? and Wait. it didn't matter. it still hurt, so bad. it was so hard. it was so bad.

all i did was stand there, or slowly move around the house, for most of my time. i think mostly moving slowly, and then sometimes stop, and then realize i was just standing there, doing nothing, thinking nothing, and be like, "omg, i can't believe this. i'm just standing here, waiting for bob. omg. :-(((" it was so difficult.
Rachel
2016-03-22 18:27:55 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
i knew she didn't like la. i saw either on the computer, or an interview on tv, she was a ny snob, like my mom. lol. i was surprised. i didn't know that about her. (or anything about her) isn't she a little jewish or something? hold on, i'll check...omg, she's totally jewish, lol. cool. :-) (i forgot i guess, i think i saw it, even looked it up, but it didn't hang in there, cuz of the blonde hair, and her celebrity status. i didn't think about it anymore. i mean, it i only thought about it for a minute or so. maybe not even? like my poem for anne frank, not 90 seconds, i'm sure, it was one minute, i went back and timed it, lol.

it's so funny, how you grow up, and not know that all your "heros" or the heros behind the heros, the writers, or just people you know from tv or wherever, the media, etc... are almost all jews.

very weird.
Rachel
2016-03-22 18:41:48 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
hey you know what my psychologist said?

he said we're wired differently when we get older.

like as kids, you're all into each other, it's so easy to make friends and stuff, but the older you get, the wiring changes, and it's much much harder to connect.

i was thinking about this the other day, like with brent, we were talking about it (i was.... :-/// :-((( ) anyway, it makes sense, in terms of the way the world works, being more attracted, in order to hook up for sex, and reproduction, and then cooling off, as part of the cycle...

sigh...

i just thought of an old song from childhood. hold on...

Rachel
2016-03-23 15:56:33 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
http://youtu.be/IGAVwQAmAHs
hey, in case anybody thinks i'm some kind of weirdo or "celebrity fucker" or something, we used to work out at the same small gym together, and even had a small encounter without words, and i was friendly a few times with her trainer (conversations, etc...) it really wasn't a big deal.

for me, it's about, a world full of strangers is really scary, and hard to deal with, get through, maneuver. like dylan says, who are these people coming towards you do you know them or will there be a fight, or there are always strings attached, or like he says, city's just a jungle more games to play, or the one i've been trying to get out this whole time, what is it, hold on...i know there's one i want, i can't bring it to mind. well, anyway..

does anyone know the dylan quote i'm trying to think of?? :-//// driving me nuts now...law of the jungle and the sea are you're only teachers, is that it? ugh

it's just i don't know how to meet people, anybody, and these are the only people i "know."

i'm scared to meet people. :-((( (including a lot of celebrities, i get "bad vibes" from)

i had a bad dream last night.

the lyrics book, and it was all beat up, and dirty, and falling apart.

made me think of that poem mug shot, and you guys calling it a talisman.
Will Dockery
2016-03-23 23:53:00 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I think the Bob Dylan song is "Mississippi":

"City's just a jungle, more games to play..."

Kind of hard to focus on Dylan at the moment, as my studies this season are all on the career of Peter Gabriel, which is just a few years short of Dylan's, Gabriel having started recording with his band Genesis back in 1969.

Although I've listened to and liked the work of Peter Gabriel over the years, spring of 2016 is the first time I've done an extensive study of his writings, music and performance.

It was Bowie who led to the Gabriel studies, as, while I was getting into his 1970s Changes, I remembered that Peter Gabriel, during the Genesis years, gave David Bowie a bit of a run for his money on theatrics, costumes, and characters, with such albums as "Foxtrot" and "Nursery Cryme", in which Gabriel took on all manner of fantastic personas, once dressed with a fox head and red dress, as an old man, various monsters and demons, including the Batwing Head guy, and my all time favorite, which I viewed on the Midnight Special television show, when he came out dressed as a purple flower. Then, like Bowie went into his Thin White Duke and disco rock phases, Gabriel presented his epic "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", in which he portrayed a leather jacketed thug sort of character... and then on into his solo career in the 1980s and one of the kings of MTV with classics like "Games Without Frontiers", "Sledgehammer" and "Shock The Monkey" (which disturbed my wife, Kathy, because she was very vocally opposed to animal cruelty and violence, most specially the redneck deer hunters of this area, and so Peter Gabriel was suspect in her eyes, plus she was a Bowie groupie wannabe)...

Anyway, delving heavily into the dense epic poetry and song of "Selling England By The Pound" today:

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/47002/Genesis-Selling-England-By-The-Pound/

And have also compiled Volume One of a "Full Career Retrospective 1973-2016" with some of my favorites from early and later years, to catch my friends up to speed on this, so I don't have to talk to myself about it, although I do have my old friend George Sulzbach (ancestor to the fabled Herbert Sulzbach, German Jewish WWI hero, winner of the Iron Cross, who bolted to England in WW2 to help them fight his own people, the Germans, who had gone to the Dark Side and become Nazis, more on him soon) to discuss with who was a fan way back in the 1970s. Sulzbach even made a mural in his basement of one of the Genesis album covers, probably the crochet mallets and heads for balls on the cover of Nursery Cryme, one of the spookiest album covers ever.

And that's just about how that goes... if it another Dylan song you're looking for, Rachel, I think we can locate that easily, just give me a clue.

<3

Rachel
(that was a complement... ;-) )
Will Dockery
2016-03-23 06:39:27 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
<snipped for brevity>

I kind of knew that, and I appreciate it, Rachel, but which part of Lou Reed's badassness are you referring to?

:)
Rachel
2016-03-23 07:43:29 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
the voice and melodies i guess.. :-) (takes a while to grow on you) same as with the grateful dead.

i mean, initially i remember being SHOCKED at how awful it all was.

actually, in that sense, i guess, and again, i mean this as a compliment, although it sounds backwards this time, but it's not, you weren't as shockingly bad as he was. but almost... :-)
Will Dockery
2016-03-23 09:54:49 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Heh... so you did mean "bad" as in terrible, not as in "bad ass".

The Grateful Dead often have left me slightly wondering about their overall motives (the guitar parts seem to be moving slowly backwards, at times) and that of their charming, but batty audiences... right now my current favorite Peter Gabriel is giving me some curious moments, such as his lyrics to "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" on the "Selling England By The Pound" album:

"Can you tell me where my country lies?"
Said the uni faun to his true love's eyes.
"It lies with me!" cried the Queen of Maybe
For her merchandise, he traded in his prize.

"Paper late!" cried a voice in the crowd.
"Old man dies!" The note he left was signed 'Old Father Thames'
It seems he's drowned
Selling England by the pound.

-Peter Gabriel

Read more at:
http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/1630/

:)
Rachel
2016-03-23 14:45:26 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
well, yes and no.

apparently, that's what makes things good.

i mean, like the dead and lou reed. but first listens were shocking! same as yours. they were even worse, iirc. it took me, as with the dead and lou reed, a few listens to come around...

i was just trying to give you a high compliment, in my bumbling incompetent way!
Will Dockery
2016-03-23 17:12:32 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I know exactly what you mean, really. Some things hit me instantly, right on target, so direct, while others, like Math, I grapple with until suddenly it "dawns on me"... often poetry is like this, and some songs. Problem is, taking the time to come back, sticking with the art... that doesn't always happen.

As for Lou Reed and the Dead, I was lucky to have begun with them during their most accessible time periods. Bought their latest album and in both cases they were in their most commercial moods.

Lou Reed's Rock-N-Roll Animal live album, and the Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" album, both around the mid 1970s. Can't go wrong with either of those.

If anyone was just starting out with either of these artists, those would be the two I'd urge them to start with.
Will Dockery
2016-03-22 18:53:13 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
<snipped for focus>

What the "strange fruit" reference was all about was that here in Columbus, Georgia, and surrounding areas, public hangings/lynchings were a regular event, and photographs were often taken, with a grinning audience included in the photo... almost certainly postcards. When I wrote this song, there was one really vile one going around on local FB pages and so on, taken right where we do our sidewalk shows and outdoor stage performances, and so on, on Broadway downtown there were "hanging trees", perhaps even a permanent gallows (but I haven't seen any evidence of one).

I looked for the photo below of a horrific "postcard of the hanging", from around the turn of the 20tb Century, seems hard to find right now.

I have to leave for a while but will check again soon...
Rachel
oh g-d it's all so awful
Will Dockery
2016-03-23 12:10:52 UTC
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Rachel
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Kind of makes one wonder what Trump means when he proclaims he will "Make America great again..."
--
Music, poetry and art of Will Dockery:
https://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery