"I Met A Girl" / a poem by Will Dockery
2017-04-04 23:07:55 UTC
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSepWRUDxAl/?taken-by=willdockery007

"I Met A Girl" poem-song by Will Dockery (vocals), Jim Pontius (guitar), Tito Wals (bass). Recorded 1982 in Atlanta.
Will Dockery
2017-04-05 11:59:15 UTC
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSepWRUDxAl/?taken-by=willdockery007

"I Met A Girl" poem-song by Will Dockery (vocals), Jim Pontius (guitar), Tito Wals (bass). Recorded 1982 in Atlanta.

Looking around, I'm surprised that this poem never made it onto the internet in any form until now, and it didn't even make the cut on my first chapbook, which I put out the year later, although it contained poems all written during this same time period of 1981-82. So, another poem to type up for an internet debut this month.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSVRLlOjYX3/?taken-by=willdockery007
Cover art for "Red Zeros" first Will Dockery poetry chapbook, summer 1983.

:)
a***@gmail.com
2017-04-11 22:42:37 UTC
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSepWRUDxAl/?taken-by=willdockery007
"I Met A Girl" poem-song by Will Dockery (vocals), Jim Pontius (guitar), Tito Wals (bass). Recorded 1982 in Atlanta.
Looking around, I'm surprised that this poem never made it onto the internet in any form until now, and it didn't even make the cut on my first chapbook, which I put out the year later, although it contained poems all written during this same time period of 1981-82. So, another poem to type up for an internet debut this month.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSVRLlOjYX3/?taken-by=willdockery007
Cover art for "Red Zeros" first Will Dockery poetry chapbook, summer 1983.
:)
Good and almost as if I know you, very warm and personal poetry.

Enjoyed.
Will Dockery
2017-04-18 23:25:16 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSepWRUDxAl/?taken-by=willdockery007
"I Met A Girl" poem-song by Will Dockery (vocals), Jim Pontius (guitar), Tito Wals (bass). Recorded 1982 in Atlanta.
Looking around, I'm surprised that this poem never made it onto the internet in any form until now, and it didn't even make the cut on my first chapbook, which I put out the year later, although it contained poems all written during this same time period of 1981-82. So, another poem to type up for an internet debut this month.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSVRLlOjYX3/?taken-by=willdockery007
Cover art for "Red Zeros" first Will Dockery poetry chapbook, summer 1983.
:)
Good and almost as if I know you, very warm and personal poetry.
Enjoyed.
Hello April, glad you liked the poem.

And George Dance, I will be typing this one up very shortly...
g***@gmail.com
Agreed completely..........................
George Dance
Are the words online?
g***@gmail.com
Good words, hope he posts them.
Will Dockery
2017-04-24 02:40:26 UTC
Thanks Zod...

Lyrics are coming soon.

2017-04-23 20:56:52 UTC
George Dance:

I have the words to "I Met A Girl", in a dusty old tome dated May 8 1982. I'll take some time and type it up and post here soon. Quite a few lines on my old Underwood typewriter, originally titled "Twilight Zone" but later changed for obvious reasons...
Dental River
2017-04-24 02:27:28 UTC
That's a cool title for an old typewriter, why change it? Was the sixth grade already named "Twilight Zone"?
Richard Oakley
2017-04-24 02:48:54 UTC
Cheerios!
Dental River
2017-04-24 03:10:29 UTC
Stoned Wheat Thins!
Richard Oakley
Fired up Marshmallows!
George Dance
2017-05-04 16:32:29 UTC
Post by Dental River
Post by Will Dockery
I have the words to "I Met A Girl", in a dusty old tome dated May 8 1982. I'll take some time and type it up and post here soon. Quite a few lines on my old Underwood typewriter, originally titled "Twilight Zone" but later changed for obvious reasons...
That's a cool title for an old typewriter, why change it? Was the sixth grade already named "Twilight Zone"?
Pedant!

Did you know that Ayn Rand named herself after a typewriter?
Michael Pendragon
2017-05-04 18:54:43 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Dental River
Post by Will Dockery
I have the words to "I Met A Girl", in a dusty old tome dated May 8 1982. I'll take some time and type it up and post here soon. Quite a few lines on my old Underwood typewriter, originally titled "Twilight Zone" but later changed for obvious reasons...
That's a cool title for an old typewriter, why change it? Was the sixth grade already named "Twilight Zone"?
Pedant!
Did you know that Ayn Rand named herself after a typewriter?
Apparently, that's just an urban legend:

http://remingtonrand.dhwritings.com/AynRand.html
George Dance
2017-05-04 19:23:43 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Dental River
Post by Will Dockery
I have the words to "I Met A Girl", in a dusty old tome dated May 8 1982. I'll take some time and type it up and post here soon. Quite a few lines on my old Underwood typewriter, originally titled "Twilight Zone" but later changed for obvious reasons...
That's a cool title for an old typewriter, why change it? Was the sixth grade already named "Twilight Zone"?
Pedant!
Did you know that Ayn Rand named herself after a typewriter?
http://remingtonrand.dhwritings.com/AynRand.html
Thanks. That looks conclusive.

My source of the story was Barbara Branden's biography, which was based on interviews with Rand herself, so though she did not indicate which parts were Rand's own statements, I always thought that was.

(It was funny to see all the denunciations by name of the people responsible for that falsehood, yet no mention of Branden's; just a link to what looks like [from the first paragraph, which is all I bothered to read] a hit-piece on her.
There's a story there: Rand and Branden's husband Nathaniel were allegedly lovers for 10 years, and it was Nathaniel's taking another mistress that got him and Barbara drummed out of Rand's circle. But we have only the Brandens' word for that; the Orthodox Objectivists don't mention the circumstances, or even the Brandens.)
Will Dockery
2017-05-05 01:44:11 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Michael Pendragon
Post by George Dance
Post by Dental River
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
George, I typed up and posted the "I Met A Girl" poem in a new thread, check it out.

2017-05-05 18:47:23 UTC
George, I typed up and posted the "I Met A Girl" poem in a new thread, check it out.

For continuity, here it is here, as well:

May 4 (17 hours ago)

I Met A Girl

I met a girl
she came from California.
It was in a dream
we knew each other instantly.
She was a little freckled girl
from out of
my high school past.

And she looked up at me
and talked real spacey.
I've forgotten her name
though she told it to me twice.

We talked
a really detached situation.
She said years ago
I was so shy
she thought I was gay.
At this point I kissed her
and put my finger to her hole.

And she looked up at me
and talked real spacey.
I have forgotten her name
though she told it to me twice.

I don't know why it was
that I would think of her.
I made a couple of puns
about her name that made me blush.
But her softness in tone
made me feel all right.

All I want to do
is get in contact.

-Will Dockery / May 8 1982

2017-05-05 19:11:53 UTC
George, I typed up and posted the "I Met A Girl" poem in a new thread, check it out.
May 4 (17 hours ago)
I Met A Girl
I met a girl
she came from California.
It was in a dream
I kissed her
and put my finger to her hole.
All I want to do
is get in contact.
-Will Dockery / May 8 1982
Not at all creepy or stalkerlike.
Will Dockery
2017-05-05 19:14:05 UTC
George, I typed up and posted the "I Met A Girl" poem in a new thread, check it out.
May 4 (17 hours ago)
I Met A Girl
I met a girl
she came from California.
It was in a dream
I kissed her
and put my finger to her hole.
All I want to do
is get in contact.
-Will Dockery / May 8 1982
Not at all creepy or stalkerlike.
It was 1982, things were a lot different back then.

:)
h***@gmail.com
2017-05-05 19:16:43 UTC
Where'd you go to college again? The
rules of English haven't changed that much.
Michael Pendragon
2017-05-05 19:23:43 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Where'd you go to college again? The
rules of English haven't changed that much.
If you're talking to me, I went to Harvard on the Boulevard.

And you graduated from ...?
h***@gmail.com
2017-05-05 19:30:17 UTC
If I was talking to you, you'd know I was talking to you. That's how I talk.
h***@gmail.com
2017-05-05 20:00:39 UTC
When someone claims to have studied English in college,
but obviously doesn't read or write on a college level, it's
like someone claiming to have studied Computer Science
in college, and having difficulty navigating a mobile tablet.

Credibility belongs to the credible, not to incredible claims.
Incredibly, a college education isn't necessary to obtain and
maintain professional credibility. Credibility can be bought
with experience, but it has to be real personal experience.
Michael Pendragon
2017-05-05 20:17:52 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
When someone claims to have studied English in college,
but obviously doesn't read or write on a college level, it's
like someone claiming to have studied Computer Science
in college, and having difficulty navigating a mobile tablet.
Credibility belongs to the credible, not to incredible claims.
Incredibly, a college education isn't necessary to obtain and
maintain professional credibility. Credibility can be bought
with experience, but it has to be real personal experience.
You're the one challenging everyone about what college they studied English at. Yet, you write on the level of a Dr. Seuss story, and apparently have no formal education beyond high school.

And, yes, you're right that this is about credibility -- your credibility.

This whole thing started when you failed to comprehend one of George's posts, and responded with some half-baked truism about the author (ESVM). Since George's post was written in clear, concise English, one can only conclude that either your reading comprehension skills are lacking, or that you weren't really paying attention to what you were doing.

I had given you the benefit of the doubt, and assumed the latter; but since, you've seen fit to question everyone else's English skills/education instead of owning up to your mistake, I'm beginning to suspect that it is, in fact, the former.
h***@gmail.com
2017-05-05 20:23:56 UTC
I didn't actually challenge anyone. I actually only asked one question twice.
I actually have a Kappa key and an Honours degree, but don't like to brag.
Richard Oakley
Michael Pendragon
2017-05-05 20:02:06 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
If I was talking to you, you'd know I was talking to you. That's how I talk.
No one ever knows who you're talking to.

Each time you make a post (apparently) responding to someone, the rest of us send each other emails, making bets on who it is.

In this instance, I was betting on myself; and, as I don't know that you were talking to me, I figure I must've lost. I owe somebody here at least seven cents, and would like to pay up -- so please identify the person you were responding to.
h***@gmail.com
2017-05-05 20:11:56 UTC
There are better, easier, more profitable
ways to make money from my posts than
that. Incredibly, people pay me to read to
them what you read here for free every day.
Michael Pendragon
That's nice. Your cookie's in the mail.
Richard Oakley
2017-05-05 20:18:56 UTC
They say, "Breaking up is hard to do."
Michael Pendragon
2017-05-05 19:21:41 UTC
George, I typed up and posted the "I Met A Girl" poem in a new thread, check it out.
May 4 (17 hours ago)
I Met A Girl
I met a girl
she came from California.
It was in a dream
I kissed her
and put my finger to her hole.
All I want to do
is get in contact.
-Will Dockery / May 8 1982
Not at all creepy or stalkerlike.
It was 1982, things were a lot different back then.
:)
I was around in 1982. It was a pretty eventful year for me: I graduated High School, went to Disney World, and joined the Navy.

And it would have sounded every bit as stalkerish then as it does today.
h***@gmail.com
2017-05-05 19:28:31 UTC
In 82, I had a one night stand
with a girl I met in a bar.
In 83, we got married.
In 86, our son was born.
It's been a blur since then.
e***@gmail.com
Need the words to read....
Will Dockery
2017-04-26 12:17:03 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSepWRUDxAl/?taken-by=willdockery007
"I Met A Girl" poem-song by Will Dockery (vocals), Jim Pontius (guitar), Tito Wals (bass). Recorded 1982 in Atlanta.
Looking around, I'm surprised that this poem never made it onto the internet in any form until now, and it didn't even make the cut on my first chapbook, which I put out the year later, although it contained poems all written during this same time period of 1981-82. So, another poem to type up for an internet debut this month.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSVRLlOjYX3/?taken-by=willdockery007
Cover art for "Red Zeros" first Will Dockery poetry chapbook, summer 1983.
:)
Are the words online?
May be somewhat longer until I type these down, or up... I could take a photo of the original and post that online but probably will just wait a bit, last night was one of those long and difficult ones and I feel my age this morning.

2017-05-04 10:35:44 UTC
Post by George Dance
Post by Will Dockery
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSepWRUDxAl/?taken-by=willdockery007
"I Met A Girl" poem-song by Will Dockery (vocals), Jim Pontius (guitar), Tito Wals (bass). Recorded 1982 in Atlanta.
Looking around, I'm surprised that this poem never made it onto the internet in any form until now, and it didn't even make the cut on my first chapbook, which I put out the year later, although it contained poems all written during this same time period of 1981-82. So, another poem to type up for an internet debut this month.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSVRLlOjYX3/?taken-by=willdockery007
Cover art for "Red Zeros" first Will Dockery poetry chapbook, summer 1983.
:)
Are the words online?
Planning on this being the next of my older poems I type up, there were some good ones int that time period, 1981-82.

:)
George Dance
Excellent; I look forward to reading it.
Will Dockery
Thanks, George!
Richard Oakley
+1
Will Dockery
2017-04-12 18:03:37 UTC
Hello George D...

No, I will have to transcribe and type up the words to "I Met A Girl" since they were created in the studio with the rest of the band riffing.

At that time in 1982 the tape recorder seems to have been my "paper", my canvas.