SND on narkive
2019-08-13 03:16:15 UTC
I recently had the chance to get onto narkive, one of the alternate usenet portals on the web. They're down to three usenet groups, one of them aapc, which makes it quite easy to read the group: just go to the main page and deselect the other two groups.

As a bonus, I find that where google posts links to videos, narkive embeds the videos. They take a bit longer to load, but they do make the threads look good.

Here's the thread for last week's "1969" dancehall:

Rex Hunter Jr.
2019-08-13 03:40:50 UTC
http://youtu.be/tr0HCqiD1C8
Glad you finally are able to read Narkive again... GD....
George J. Dance
2019-08-13 09:11:51 UTC
https://alt.arts.poetry.comments.narkive.com/YVrw2Tnt/snd-1969-19-08-04
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 09:15:40 UTC
FYI, Narkive is a Usenet archive, not a Usenet portal.
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 09:34:52 UTC
FYI, Socrates was a passive-aggressive narcissist.
George J. Dance
2019-08-13 17:24:27 UTC
FYI, Socrates was a passive-aggressive narcissist.
You know fuck-all about the real Socrates, Corey.
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 17:36:37 UTC
I do know a guy named Sorates, but of course that's beside the point.
The 'real' Socrates has been dead for millennia, and nobody 'knows'
much about him because nothing of his survives. We pretty much have
to take Plato's word for anything Socrates may have said and what he
may have meant, because nobody else thought enough of him to do so.
George J. Dance
Exactly my point. All that you know or I know is "Socrates," the character in Plato's books; and we have no idea how well that character corresponds to the real deal.
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 18:08:17 UTC
Various translations have Plato saying that Socrates last words were,
"Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt?", and,
"Crito, we ought to offer a cock to Asclepius. See to it, and don't forget.",
which don't really say quite the same thing, and were translated by different
scholars at different times, yet when put in context of one another, not only
improve one's understanding both of the content and intent of the quote,
coincidentally they rhyme.

So, what was the point of it? God only knows.
That's an expression of faith wrapped in skeptical clothes,
which more to the point specifically means
that data input/output resides beside genes.
I mean, what it is I am trying to say
is that I bought new blue jeans here the other day,
which rhythmically, rhymingly relates the two,
correlatively speaking, between me and you.
"God" only knowing might fill one with doubt,
but read some of Socrates. Hear the man out.
But care to the context, though others may scoff.
No doubt, he once certainly ticked people off,
and left little else but a hearsay bequest.
Recall what he asked for, his final request.
And that's all I'm asking, no more and no less, on
the chance you could hear his personal confession.
Will Dockery
2019-08-13 19:50:59 UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory

On a similar theme...
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 20:26:36 UTC
That's stupid.
Will Dockery
2019-08-13 10:41:33 UTC
FYI, Narkive is a Usenet archive, not a Usenet portal.
Why is it not a portal?
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 10:44:49 UTC
You cannot post to Usenet from Narkive.
Will Dockery
2019-08-13 10:52:24 UTC
You cannot post to Usenet from Narkive.
Actually, you can... if you sign up and log in to Narkive.org:

https://alt.arts.poetry.comments.narkive.com/CpQbKG2V/snd-on-narkive

SND on narkive
Add Reply

"Login or register to use this function."
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 10:54:10 UTC
Show me. Do it.
George J. Dance
2019-08-13 17:30:39 UTC
FYI, Narkive is a Usenet archive, not a Usenet portal.
Why is it not a portal?
Portal: 'a website or web page providing access or links to other sites.'

If you can post to usenet using it, it's a portal. Pastor Corey's saying you can't.
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 17:40:16 UTC
Please, call me Hieronymous.
George J. Dance
2019-08-13 19:33:55 UTC
Please, call me Hieronymous.
I'd love to. I'll only use "Pastor Corey" when I'm pissed off at you for some reason, and I'd love for that to never happen. I'm not going to use it just because someone else uses it - particularly when that someone doesn't use "Pig Pen" - that just wouldn't be right.
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 20:20:40 UTC
When you're pissed off at me? LOL. Oh dear, George.
George J. Dance
2019-08-13 20:34:17 UTC
When you're pissed off at me? LOL. Oh dear, George.
FYI and all that. All things must pass.
Will Dockery
2019-08-13 21:42:05 UTC
Hi specifically asked/demanded to be called "Pastor Corey", and as always, has changed his mind.
High Number
2019-08-19 23:28:36 UTC
Please, call me Hieronymous.
No longer Pastor Corey....?
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-19 23:56:48 UTC
Knock. Knock.
Rex Hunter Jr.
2019-08-14 03:29:21 UTC
FYI, Narkive is a Usenet archive, not a Usenet portal.
It looks like a portal to me.....
Rex Hunter Jr.
Good one.....
Will Dockery
Yes, it must have been just some kind of temporary glitch, perhaps like the one that won't allow members to sign on this morning.
Will Dockery
2019-08-13 11:03:04 UTC
Yes, I've noticed that Usenet portal has that feature, interesting innovation.
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 11:04:56 UTC
Did you notice that the signup and login feature doesn't work?
Will Dockery
2019-08-13 11:09:27 UTC
Did you notice that the signup and login feature doesn't work?
It has worked in the past, I've signed up there.

George also mentioned having problems accessing the https://narkive.com/ portal, as well, but he can do it again, now.
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 11:13:24 UTC
Right, he can access the archive, but neither of you can post from there.
Will Dockery
2019-08-13 11:18:31 UTC
Right, he can access the archive, but neither of you can post from there.
You probably didn't read the posts, but up until recently, George was completely blocked from the Narkive portal, for some reason.
Hieronymous Corey
2019-08-13 11:25:15 UTC
Okay, so I honestly don't care whether you call it an archive, a portal,
or a potted plant. I was simply trying to point out why one word might
be considered a more appropriate descriptor than the other. That's all.
Rex Hunter Jr.
2019-08-15 04:29:18 UTC
I enjoy that site.....
Will Dockery