Conrad Aiken 1917
Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
2018-12-25 03:16:24 UTC
an excerpt from Conrad Aiken, '1915: the trenches'. In:
Nocturne of a remembered spring & other poems (The Four Seas Company, 1917).

II.
All night long we lie
Stupidly watching the smoke puff over the sky,
Stupidly watching the interminable stars
Come out again, peaceful and cold and high,
Swim into the smoke again, or melt in a flare of red…
All night long, all night long,
Hearing the terrible battle of guns,
We smoke our pipes, we think we shall soon be dead,
We sleep for a second, and wake again,
We dream we are filling pans and baking bread,
Or hoeing the witch-grass out of the wheat,
We dream we are turning lathes,
Or open our shops, in the early morning,
And look for a moment along the quiet street…
And we do not laugh, though it is strange
In a harrowing second of time
To traverse so many worlds, so many ages,
And come to this chaos again,
This vast symphonic dance of death,
This incoherent dust.
לעולם לא אשכח

IN PROGRESS: Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva:
2018-12-25 16:46:39 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
[...]
davening in the musematic dark
Good find, Stephan.

I was just looking at you iconic photograph with Bob Dylan, this morning:

"Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva/'Bob Dylan' & Chafetz Chayim benAvraham/'Stephan Pickering'...3 January 1974, morning, stage of Chicago Stadium...photograph: Barry Feinstein...I am forever grateful to Arie de Reus who, in 2011, sent this (and another one to me)...todah rabbah, berakhot v'tefillot...blessings & prayers, Arie..." -Stephan Pickering
NancyGene
2018-12-26 20:41:17 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
an excerpt from Conrad Aiken, '1915: the trenches'.
Good find, Stephan.
Poem-a-Day thought it was a good find when they featured it on December 23, 2018.
https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/1915-trenches
Pickles steals again!

Don't you know that the picture of Pickles and Dylan is a fake?
George J. Dance
2018-12-26 21:03:14 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
an excerpt from Conrad Aiken, '1915: the trenches'.
Good find, Stephan.
Poem-a-Day thought it was a good find when they featured it on December 23, 2018.
https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/1915-trenches
Pickles steals again!
^^^ WTF is this nonsense?

The poem's in the public domain in the U.S. How can posting it here be "stealing"?
NancyGene
Whoosh Goes the Dunce. What we were pointing out, on which you missed the point, was that Pickles' great find was the poem of the day at the site we mentioned the day "before" he posted it. It doesn't take much effort to go to the poem of the day, copy it, and post it here, without any comment. He could at least have said that he saw this poem on poem of the day and thought it would be a good poem to discuss on aapc. That was too much to ask of our resident word thief Pickering.
George J. Dance
2018-12-27 06:32:16 UTC
Post by Chafetz Chayim ha'Yehu'di
an excerpt from Conrad Aiken, '1915: the trenches'.
Good find, Stephan.
Poem-a-Day thought it was a good find when they featured it on December 23, 2018.
https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/1915-trenches
Pickles steals again!
^^^ WTF is this nonsense?
"Your" nonsense?
No, NutjobGene. I did not write the sentence the little arrows are pointing to.
The poem's in the public domain in the U.S. How can posting it here be "stealing"?
Whoosh Goes the Dunce. What we were pointing out, on which you missed the point, was that Pickles' great find was the poem of the day at the site we mentioned the day "before" he posted it.
Your link made that "point," for whatever that's worth, NG. I asked about your original contribution to the discussion: your claim that the poem was "stolen".
Post by NancyGene
It doesn't take much effort to go to the poem of the day, copy it, and post it here, without any comment.
Obviously more than it would take for you, since you couldn't even copy and past the link without making one of your pig-ignorant comments (combined, of course, with one of your pig-ignorant insults).
Post by NancyGene
He could at least have said that he saw this poem on poem of the day and thought it would be a good poem to discuss on aapc.
Or ... gasp ... he could have given the link to the whole book:
/Nocturne of Remembered Spring/, and other poems
https://archive.org/details/nocturneremembe01aikegoog/page/n13

But, guess what, dearie? Usenet posts as threads, not individual posts, so if one person doesn't give information, other people can add it. So you got to attribute poem a day's "stolen" copy and give the link, and I got to attribute the Aiken's book and give the link. See? That's how usenet works (or is supposed to).
Tell me, NG, do the "thieves" at poem a day pay you to write this stuff?
Michael Pendragon
2018-12-27 12:46:09 UTC
Post by NancyGene
That was too much to ask of our resident word thief Pickering.
Tell me, NG, do the "thieves" at poem a day pay you to write this stuff?
Why do you defend Pick's practice of spamming the group with links to "Poem-a-Day"?

Oh ... right ... you post links to "Penny's" "Poem-a-Day" even more frequently than Pick.

Although, in you favor, you're willing to discuss the poems you spam here; whereas Pick is not.
George J. Dance
2018-12-28 15:02:37 UTC
Post by NancyGene
That was too much to ask of our resident word thief Pickering.
Tell me, NG, do the "thieves" at poem a day pay you to write this stuff?
Why do you defend Pick's practice of spamming the group with links to "Poem-a-Day"?
Reread. I'm defending Stephan against the false accusation of "stealing," because it's a false accusation: he didn't "steal" anything.
Post by Michael Pendragon
Oh ... right ... you post links to "Penny's" "Poem-a-Day" even more frequently than Pick.
And some (like you) have said I've "stolen" them. Which makes me sensitive to this particular form of character defamation.
Maybe he's just not willing to discuss them with you. Think about it.
Will Dockery
2018-12-28 05:33:24 UTC
No Pendragon, all poetry is welcome here.

2018-12-28 12:48:31 UTC
No Pendragon, all poetry is welcome here.
Wrong.

This is a poetry discussion group.

If you post someone else's poem, discuss it.

I don't need to come here to read a poem by Conrad Aiken. I can google him.

If you have some original thoughts on one of Aiken's poems that you wish to share with the group, then by all means, post it.

Otherwise don't waste our time.
Will Dockery
2018-12-26 20:50:45 UTC
No, NG, the photograph seems legitimate to me.
George J. Dance
2018-12-26 21:08:21 UTC
[...]
Shalom, Stephan. Thank you for posting this; it was one I don't remember reading.

It's a good read; but enjoyed it more than I normally would because of its fit with the poem I blogged on PPB today. Here that is, as an OBpoem to Aiken:

Cease Fire

For one full day we got to stop the business
Of trying to kill each other. We could stand,
And leave the trench, and meet in no-man's-land
To wish the other side a Merry Christmas.

One Hun pulled out a flask, gave me a drink –
I shared my smokes – we did a few card tricks,
Then showed our wives' and kids' and girly pics,
Said "Aww...", and did the old nudge-nudge-wink-wink.

I saw a thing I never thought I'd see –
In different colored clothes, a man like me –
And now I understand that man's my brother;

But understanding just compounds the crime,
For now I hear the sergeant's call: It's time
To go back out and try to kill each other.

- George J. Dance, 2018
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2018/12/cease-fire-george-j-dance.html
Michael Pendragon
2018-12-26 21:52:38 UTC
[...]
That reminds me of Coco's latest masterpiece, "Patriots of Conscience":

Across the land, the bugles cry
Calling for men who'll fight and die
To keep their Country free.
The Summer soldier heaves a sigh
As Patriots of Conscience fly
With coats turned round, and heads held high
To fight for you and me.

Well... not to take up arms per se
But in a more... symbolic way --
They heed a higher call!
Let others haste them to the fray
Let other men for courage pray
For Conscience is the thing they say
That does make cowards of us all.
General Zod
Outstanding poem...………………………………………………..
Will Dockery
2018-12-27 04:27:51 UTC
NG... the poem is in the public domain, it was not "stolen".
😊
George J. Dance
2018-12-27 06:35:04 UTC
NG... the poem is in the public domain, it was not "stolen".
Oh, that's just NutjobGene, telling people what they can and can't post, and what they can and can't put in their posts - being what they call the "the arbiter of who can or cannot do anything" here.

/Seinfeld/ had its soup Nazi.
Now, aapc has its group Nazi.
Will Dockery
2018-12-27 17:29:23 UTC
This is a poetry discussion group, and all poetry is welcome here.
Michael Pendragon
2018-12-27 19:01:55 UTC
This is a poetry discussion group, and all poetry is welcome here.
No, Will.

Original poetry (however terrible) is welcome here.

Comments on the original poetry of others is welcome here.

Original comments on published poetry are welcome.

Copy and pastes from other sites, without any original comments, are *not* welcome here.

This is a discussion group, not a dumping ground for spam.
ME
2018-12-28 15:09:07 UTC
This is a poetry discussion group, and all poetry is welcome here.
No, Will.
Original poetry (however terrible) is welcome here.
Comments on the original poetry of others is welcome here.
Original comments on published poetry are welcome.
Copy and pastes from other sites, without any original comments, are *not* welcome here.
“””This is a discussion group, not a dumping ground for spam.”””

MICHAEL!!!
Are you being sarcastic?
You have been here been here before, right?

Bad Bad Leroy Brown
2018-12-28 04:39:30 UTC
[...]
Good for a second read...………….