PPB: Snow / Archibald Lampman
2019-02-10 17:40:10 UTC
Snow, by Archibald Lampman
(song by Loreena McKennitt)

White are the far-off plains, and white
The fading forests grow;
The wind dies out along the height,
And denser still the snow,
A gathering weight on roof and tree,
Falls down scarce audibly.
[...]

https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2019/02/snow-archibald-lampman.html
Will Dockery™
2019-02-10 18:53:36 UTC
Snow, by Archibald Lampman
(song by Loreena McKennitt)
White are the far-off plains, and white
The fading forests grow;
The wind dies out along the height,
And denser still the snow,
A gathering weight on roof and tree,
Falls down scarce audibly.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2019/02/snow-archibald-lampman.html
Good, some more Archibald Lampman poetry, while the interest is high.

https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Archibald_Lampman
General Zod
Outstanding.........
Zod
2019-02-10 22:45:37 UTC
Damn good poetry.............
Will Dockery™
2019-02-11 05:09:57 UTC
Top shelf poetry, agreed.
George J. Dance
2019-02-11 10:15:21 UTC
Snow, by Archibald Lampman
(song by Loreena McKennitt)
White are the far-off plains, and white
The fading forests grow;
The wind dies out along the height,
And denser still the snow,
A gathering weight on roof and tree,
Falls down scarce audibly.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2019/02/snow-archibald-lampman.html
Damn good poetry.............
I'm glad you liked it, Zod. I thought it was an inspired choice, given the Loreena McKennitt song. (I picked up her Christmas EP in November, and discovered the song on it.) But I was a bit disappointed with the poem.

Sure, like most Lampman, it's well written; he describes the external world just right, using what Malcolm Ross calls his "camera eye" to let me imagine myself there completely. But then he goes on to say the scene
causes him to get lost in his own thoughts (to "dream"). And at that point it ends. We never find out what his "dream" is about; it's as if he just needed an ending, so he tacked that on.

It's the same thing he does in a famous poem of his, "Heat," which is pretty much the summer equivalent of "Snow" -
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2012/09/heat-lampman.html

- and also in "In Beechwood Cemetery." I wish he'd either say something about his thought processes, or not mention them at all.

That's what I liked to so much about that later poem of his, "Winter Uplands" - in that one he doesn't stop at that point, but gives us the gist of his thought in what Stephan called that "quite cogent" last line.
General Zod
I found it a charming and sound work of poetry............
h***@gmail.com
2019-02-12 11:09:15 UTC
My Elbow Hurts.
My Elbow Is Not